WiFi Drop Rachio 3 - Troubleshooting - Rachio Community
WiFi Drop Rachio 3
post by thampyshany on Jul 21, 2025
After a failure of Rachio 3 with a history of 2 years of its Life-Span (controller Will NOT Re-boot to Manufacturer’s Setting …a symptom of 9 white lights on 1st Quarter following a red) had to replace with a New Rachio 3 …! Now I’ve experienced a 3rd time with Loss of WiFi in a pattern with just 3 weeks passed with New one’s installation! I thought this drop shouldn’t be happening with 1 Gig WiFi …, upgrade recently to my home! Has anyone had similar Experience?
post by skritzer on Jul 22, 2025
If you have access to your WiFi router, designate a permanent IP address to your Rachio 3 MAC address. Also, check your phones to see if any of them are connecting with WiFi metering enabled.
The dedicated IP seemed to fix my problem, but I think the metering, to my access point, was the reason the problem was intermittent.
post by DLane on Jul 22, 2025
@thampyshany - please describe your WiFi setup - mesh or not, multiple access points, make/model, etc. I have had other IoT devices that were sensitive to minimum speed setting on my WiFi gear. Also, check any minimum signal strength settings on the WiFi gear.
post by questioneverything on Jul 22, 2025
I’ve tried dedicated 2.4 GHz network with the Rachio as the only device, static IP, and mine still disconnected. Doesn’t seem to make a difference if it’s on that or my mesh network. I’ve been having wifi connection issues the past 4 years May-June, until this year. This year it seemed like the usual trend until the last 3 days, its disconnected each day. Usually after May-June, it stays connected the rest of the year.
Only way to reconnect to WiFi is to pull power and reconnect WiFi once it reboots.
post by DLane on Jul 23, 2025
@questioneverything - I’ve been running Rachios (V2 and V3) for about 9 years in three different WiFi environments and I haven’t noticed any dropouts. I’m not sure if this is what you tried with a dedicated 2.4 GHz network or not, but I would buy a WiFi extender and have it broadcast a different SSID so that we know the Rachio connects to it. I would be trying to figure out if there is a setting on the other WiFi equipment that is impacting the Rachio.
post by questioneverything on Jul 23, 2025
I’ve tried an extender too. And different channels with all setups I mentioned.
Rachio is the only device that has this issue on my network out of almost 80 devices. Since it usually only has this connection problem a couple of months of the year it wouldn’t make sense for it to be another device, or network configuration since I’ve tried everything possible. I probably just have a faulty controller and it’s slowly getting worse. This year, for the first time, the logic for my Flex Daily program wasn’t working the first couple of weeks of May. It set every zone to water 10 minutes instead of 1 hr+ each. After a couple of weeks it started working again on its own. And as I mentioned when the Rachio goes offline it doesn’t water. There’s supposed to be a memory stored program to water just in case it goes offline but mine has never done that.
post by DLane on Jul 23, 2025
@questioneverything - I’ve been running Rachios (V2 and V3) for about 9 years in three different WiFi environments and I haven’t noticed any dropouts. I’m not sure if this is with a dedicated 2.4 GHz network or not, but I would buy a WiFi extender and have it broadcast a different SSID so that we know the Rachio connects to it. I would be trying to figure out if there is a setting on the other WiFi equipment that is impacting the Rachio.
post by questioneverything on Jul 24, 2025
I’ve tried possibly everything; Yet, WiFi doesn’t seem to stay on Continuously, just watching closely (is it worth spending (your wallets over 💲300) for this product every 2~21/2 years! For now I’m continuing to use it! For my last Manual Device (Lawn Genie) Programmed one (even for watering w/auto set-up stayed over 35 years)
post by thampyshany on Jul 24, 2025
Also,… (Just a STRONG WORD/Suggestion) For those whom buy New Rachio 3 … Purchase additional warranty (paying 💲40 for additional 3 years) a piece of mind)…, which I usually won’t do in today’s market (call it a waste)
post by thampyshany on Jul 26, 2025
I mean (for other products) (calls a Waste of Your 💲💲💲)… However, Rachio is Phased Out (that I read) Take a look…,
post by questioneverything on Jul 26, 2025
Definitely something janky going on with my controller. Last night it went offline right when the watering program was supposed to start. This is probably what has been occurring the entire time with my controller, just never actually saw it happen. Something in memory must be messed up. And of course, didn’t water once being offline. I may try a factory reset to see if that clears the issue; haven’t tried that before because I didn’t want to reconfigure everything.
post by Linn on Jul 27, 2025
Well sorta, but not – back in 2022 Rachio was going to change and call things the “Pro Series”, but it doesn’t look like they followed on with that as they are still selling the Rachio 3 on their website. I can see where AI picked up this announcement, but AI stopped there and didn’t look around any more. Yet one more reason I never trust AI!
Here’s the link this came from: Rachio Pro Bulletin - Latest updates for Rachio professionals
post by thampyshany on Jul 27, 2025
Thanks for those updates… here in the forum …, would welcome Newer versions of the Rachio…! Let’s wait & watch …
post by DLane on Jul 28, 2025
@questioneverything - Now we may be making progress. The Rachio power supply is limited to 1 amp (1,000 milliamps). If a solenoid (or solenoids when a master valve is involved) pull more power than that then there is a brownout or blackout on the board. Normally, Rachio will report that.
Do you have a master valve in the system? If so, I might disconnect the master valve wire from the Rachio and run the same schedule that failed and see if it runs (no water will be used, but Rachio will think it will have watered if a Flex schedule is being used - in that case I might manually open the master valve so that Rachio’s soil moisture and reality will be in synch).
Are you using the reduce water hammer feature? If so, I might turn this option off for a test run as this keeps the running valve open while the next valve opens, so there can be three (if there is a master valve) or two valves open at a time. Rachio is built for this, but I’m wondering if a valve is pulling more current than it should.
post by questioneverything on Jul 29, 2025
@DLane No master valve and not using water hammer feature, no water hammer. Using the OEM power brick. Could be the power brick is going bad under load but seems like it wouldn’t be significant enough power draw during watering to cause this, especially since it doesn’t occur every time. I don’t think it’s power related. Could very well just have been coincidence it went offline at that moment.
post by DLane on Aug 6, 2025
@questioneverything - I don’t have any other insights. I don’t know enough about Rachio’s backend to know what triggers an off-line email message. Thirty disconnects do seem excessive.