WiFi Drop Rachio 3 - Troubleshooting - Rachio Community

WiFi Drop Rachio 3

post by thampyshany on Jul 21, 2025

After a failure of Rachio 3 with a history of 2 years of its Life-Span ( controller Will NOT Re-boot to Manufacturer’s Setting …a symptom of 9 white lights on 1st Quarter following a red ) had to replace with a New Rachio 3 …! Now I’ve experienced a 3rd time with Loss of WiFi in a pattern with just 3 weeks passed with New one’s installation ! I thought this drop shouldn’t be happening with 1 Gig WiFi …,upgrade recently to my home ! Has anyone had similar Experience?

post by skritzer on Jul 22, 2025

If you have access to your wifi router, designate a permanent IP address to your Rachio 3 MAC address. Also, check your phones to see if any of them are connecting with wifi metering enabled.

The dedicated IP seemed to fix my problem, but I think the metering, to my access point, was the reason the problem was intermittent.

post by DLane on Jul 22, 2025

@thampyshany - please describe your WiFi setup - mesh or not, multiple access points, make/model, etc. I have had other IoT devices that were sensitive to minimum speed setting on my WiFi gear. Also, check any minimum signal strength settings on the WiFi gear.

post by questioneverything on Jul 22, 2025

I’ve tried dedicated 2.4 GHz network with the Rachio as the only device, static IP, and mine still disconnected. Doesn’t seem to make a difference if it's on that or my mesh network. I’ve been having WiFi connection issues the past 4 years May-June, until this year. This year it seemed like the usual trend until the last 3 days, it’s disconnected each day. Usually after May-June, it stays connected the rest of the year.

Only way to reconnect to wifi is to pull power and reconnect wifi once it reboots.

post by DLane on Jul 23, 2025

@questioneverything - I’ve been running Rachios (V2 and V3) for about 9 years in three different WiFi environments and I haven’t noticed any dropouts. I’m not sure if this is what you tried with a dedicated 2.4 GHz network or not, but I would buy a WiFi extender and have it broadcast a different SSID so that we know the Rachio connects to it.

Not knowing the RF environment, Rachio siting, wall power status (brownout, surges, etc.), WiFi settings, etc. - this is where I’d start. Seeing as how the outages are seasonal (May-June) I’d be looking for something environmental that would be causing it. What changed? Neighbors present or gone, etc.

post by questioneverything on Jul 23, 2025

I’ve tried an extender too. And different channels with all setups I mentioned.

Rachio is the only device that has this issue on my network out of almost 80 devices. Since it usually only has this connection problem a couple months of the year it wouldn’t make sense for it to be another device, or network configuration since I’ve tried everything possible.

Power cycling it hasn't solved the issue. I’ve tried various network configurations over the years, and nothing has been effective.

post by DLane on Jul 23, 2025

@questioneverything - I’m not sure if you tried this, but I would disconnect the master valve wire and run the same schedule that failed. Watching the system might give you insight.

post by questioneverything on Jul 29, 2025

@DLane - No master valve and not using water hammer feature, no water hammer. Using the OEM power brick.

post by thampyshany on Jul 30, 2025

Thank you.

post by questioneverything on Aug 6, 2025

@DLane Offline again, no rhyme or reason. I also find it odd, out of the 30 or so times it's gone offline since May this year, I’ve only received one email notification about the controller going offline.

post by DLane on Aug 6, 2025

@questioneverything - Thirty disconnects does seem excessive.