When should I thatch after hydroseeding? - Lawn Nerds - Rachio Community
When should I thatch after hydroseeding?
post by joshdance on Aug 15, 2022
Moved into our house a year ago and replaced our whole front lawn. Hydroseeded June 1st, and the grass grew well but so did the weeds.
We are going to spray a selective weed killer 3 months after hydroseed, Sept 1st. But I imagine the dead weeds are not going to magically disappear.
When should I thatch after killing the weeds? Let them sit until April to give the grass better roots?
Thanks!
722 views
post by tmcgahey on Aug 16, 2022
I’m not an expert when it comes to this, but I’d wait. Dethatching is aggressive!
post by Aniyah on Jul 10, 2024
Thatching should generally be avoided immediately after hydroseeding, as the new grass needs time to establish. It’s best to wait until the grass has grown and thickened, usually around 6-12 months after hydroseeding, before considering thatching. This allows the roots to develop properly and ensures the grass is strong enough to handle the process.