What do I need? - Getting Started / Before You Buy - Rachio Community
What do I need?
post by estrauss on Nov 30, 2018
OMG. Wow. This community is amazing… but also overwhelming!
My husband has a drip irrigation system that is split into a few gardens and some blueberry bushes. A Rachio system sounds like a really neat addition to our garden, and I think he’d really like one. I’d like to get one for a Christmas gift, but I have no idea where to start…
Other than the system itself (Gen3?) and an outdoor box for it, what is recommended for a drip irrigation system that’s (currently) just hoses linked to an outdoor spigot? We don’t have a sprinkler system in our lawn… just the gardens. How do you set up the automation?
He’s talked about automated garden irrigation in the past…and I think this would be an exciting project… is this the right system for us?
post by tmcgahey on Nov 30, 2018
Very generally speaking, Rachio works by firing irrigation solenoid valves. At a bare minimum, you would need to have 1 valve (these can be installed inline of hoses with the right adapters), but would recommend a valve for each “type” of irrigation, or possibly location (north vs south, east vs west). A little bit of 18 gauge irrigation wiring, and you are all set, unless of course you want to go full tilt and install a true in ground system.
These are the types of valves you would want to install. Since I doubt you have a backflow device installed, I would go with the anti-siphon valves to keep water from the irrigation system backing up into your potable house water. These would be installed above the highest point elsewhere in the system.