Weather Intelligence Plus - Settings / Weather - Rachio Community
Weather Intelligence Plus
post by briansusername on Mar 21, 2018
So, the Gen 3 hardware is listed as having “Weather Intelligence Plus” (WI+) for “hyperlocal” weather data. The details are scant so far, and some quotes on various news sites add more confusion. Some seemed to indicate their is new specialized hardware, but others that it is just a software feature with new data aggregation.
Before I preorder the new hotness that is Gen 3, I have a few questions:
- Is WI+ a hardware feature? Are there new weather sensors (barometer, etc.) inside the Gen 3 hardware?
- If there are new hardware sensors, does indoor vs. outdoor mounting matter?
- If there are not new sensors, is WI+ coming to Gen 1 and Gen 2 hardware??
- If there are not new sensors and WI+ is not coming to Gen 1 and Gen 2, why not?
- If this is strictly a software feature tied to Gen 3 hardware, can Gen 1 and Gen 2 users get some WI+ love for a reasonable fee ($20?) so we don’t have to go to the trouble of upgrading?
post by bbbmiller on Apr 10, 2018
I’m with you on this! I am expecting it is software based and went looking for these same answers. Can someone in Rachio respond to this? I’m not going to consider upgrading until I have the facts.
post by Kubisuro on Apr 10, 2018
If Weather Plus is subscription model and works with Gen 2… and its features are valuable for my situation… sign me up. Would love to have an alternative to my cheapo, error prone weather station.
post by griesimatthew on Apr 12, 2018
I agree. This seems to be more of a cloud calculation rather than a hardware feature. I don’t see how a barometer can make weather that hyperlocal. They can offer it as an upgrade in the Apple or Google App stores.
post by cheezmo on May 7, 2018
I was in Costco today and they are selling the Rachio 2 with Weather Intelligence Plus. Since it is obviously compatible, what is the path for those of us with a Rachio 2 to add Weather Intelligence Plus?
post by Bioreef on May 7, 2018
I wonder if that is some sort of manufacturing error (someone put the stickers on the Rachio 2 instead of 3’s). The Rachio website clearly says that Weather Intelligence Plus is a Rachio 3 exclusive.
post by boldblue737 on May 7, 2018
ouch, that has to be a mistake with the Rachio 2.
post by cheezmo on May 7, 2018
So if I want to add WI+ to my Gen 2 I can do it by buying another Gen 2 from Costco? This leaves me with a very poor impression of Rachio. My next sprinkler controller will be from a company that does not lock out features.
post by fpuig on May 7, 2018
You get Weather Intelligence Plus but you don’t get support for Wireless Flow Meter. If you don’t need the wireless flow meter this is a no-brainer purchase.
post by briansusername on May 7, 2018
I would be interested in a modest upgrade fee to add WI+ to my existing unit. Rachio is realizing that they can’t rely on new hardware sales alone to keep things going - they need us early adopters to upgrade periodically.
post by cwagz on May 8, 2018
I would be interested in upgrading my current Gen 2 with Weather Intelligence Plus as well.
post by zpaiulsgrove on May 14, 2018
I would like to echo earlier comments, I would be more than willing to pay an upgrade fee to get Weather Intelligence Plus.
post by bigjohns97 on May 28, 2018
I am in the process of possibly buying a weather station to install but if this new service doesn’t require that then I would just purchase an upgraded Rachio.
post by boldblue737 on May 28, 2018
Weather intelligence plus requires a Rachio 3 or the purchase of an Rachio 2 from Costco with a specially marked box.
post by fightinaggie08 on Jul 31, 2018
SO WI+ is compatible with Gen 2? That is very upsetting to me regarding the exclusion of Gen 2 from updates.
post by eckirchn on Aug 27, 2018
@franz is it safe to assume that Weather Intelligence is based on the Weather Underground API?
post by franz on Aug 27, 2018
Your PWS will always have the best precipitation which is very important for our models.
post by jebgg on Dec 15, 2018
I’ve been reading these posts concerning ET with interest. Rachio uses “national” weather stations to forecast ET rather than PWS.
post by Lmc805 on Dec 11, 2018
Thanks for answering and for the offer! I want a solution that allows us to access the additional info without throwing away a controller.