Valve Finder Feature - Archive - Rachio Community
Valve Finder Feature
post by DavidGPope on Oct 1, 2015
It would be cool to be able to have a “valve finder” feature. The feature idea is that you could have a feature that would open and close the valve solenoid very quickly making a chatter noise. (similar to the old Chat-R-Box product)
This would allow the homeowner to walk the yard and listen for that distinct noise and find the valve. It would be cool if this feature was part of the system. This is great for homeowners and landscapers who maintain the yard and sprinkler system.
If this is a bit confusing, look up a product called “Chat-R-Box” for lawn sprinklers. Very cool!
P.S. this can also be done manually but you need 2 people. You remove the valve wire at the box and you turn on the station. You tap the valve wire on the controller position (opening and closing the valve) and send the other person off listening for the chatter.
Youtube video on the old product: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmwmizJhJw
post by franz on Oct 2, 2015
Oh interesting, never heard of that. I’ll be sure the product team gets this!
post by vicw on Oct 5, 2015
That would be a very interesting feature, if it would be possible to program it, without risk of damage to the Iro, or the valves.
I just finished a project this week, locating the 6 underground valves on our system. The original owner failed to provide that information to me, and I had never thought about it until I installed the Iro, and began to worry about where they were.
Ironically, my non-techy wife wondered if it would be possible to hear the valves clicking if we could switch them on and off rapidly, and I shrugged off her suggestion as not likely to work, and perhaps risky.
I ended up renting an Armada Pro-700 Wire Locator from Sprinkler Warehouse in Houston, and it did the job for me, but I spent about $100 overall for the rental, shipping and insurance. It’s very comforting to now know exactly where they all are, in case one ever fails, and I have no regrets about the effort, although the suggested feature in the Iro would have been very nice to have as a free and convenient alternative.
post by gdstark on Oct 13, 2015
I second the request.
post by emil on Oct 14, 2015
@DavidGPope, just curious, assuming you’ve used one of these in the past, did you notice any impact to the solenoid’s performance after chattering it? Love the idea!
@vicw, great resource to recommend. Sometimes those buried valves can be very tricky to locate. Hopefully yours weren’t buried too deep once you found them.
post by DavidGPope on Oct 14, 2015
Emil… I have used it in the past. The only drawback is that some solenoids don’t make a “loud chatter” noise. The other way is learning how these “valve finders” work and implementing it in the Rachio.
“Use a valve locator. Valve locators find lost valves by tracing the wires from the controller to the lawn sprinkler system valve location. A valve locator consists of a transmitter, a receiver, two lead wires and a grounding stake. The valve locator transmits a beeping signal along the wire to locate irrigation valves. Using a valve locator is an accurate way to find lost valves without damage to the lawn or garden.”
post by emil on Oct 14, 2015
Interesting idea. This would also allow you to track and locate your wiring if needed.
post by davidgpope on Oct 14, 2015
Exactly… it also opens the door for Rachio to sell additional accessories. I currently own a commercial valve finder. You hook the transmitter up to the valve wire and then use the receiver to follow the line. The receiver is reading a frequency or tone and as you get closer to the valve, the tone gets louder and faster.
post by vicw on Nov 21, 2015
@Emil I was very happy with Sprinkler Warehouse, They were very prompt and courteous with responses, shipping and crediting back my deposit as soon as they received the returned Armada.
post by plainsane on Nov 23, 2015
Man, that is a super cool idea. For me, ignoring the find my valve feature, I like the idea as it would help me identify which of the 4 valves in one of my boxes controls a specific zone.
post by emil on Nov 27, 2015
@vicw, great to hear Sprinkler Warehouse provided a top notch experience. They have a great website with good content.
post by vicw on Nov 28, 2015
Yes, previously, I had found one of the underground valve covers under my lawn.
post by berlin on Nov 12, 2021
Did this feature request ever make it to product? It seems very straightforward to implement and would save many people a lot of money.
post by tmcgahey on Nov 12, 2021
Never went anywhere.
post by DavidGPope on Nov 12, 2021
It’s a problem. I finally went out and bought an expensive valve finder. Not only did it save me but I shared it with other neighbors to help them find their valves. Be nice if Rachio had some feature that would help find valves.
post by BIgH on Apr 24, 2023
I signed up with the community to say this - this feature would have potentially saved me a lot of time, and I think it’s a well-needed feature.
post by Jrgrant on Aug 2, 2025
Posting to keep this topic alive. The paranoia expressed in some of these comments could be easily mitigated by making it a paid feature only available for activation within the Rachio app.