Upgrading from mechanical sprinkler system - Getting Started / Rachio 3 - Rachio Community

Upgrading from mechanical sprinkler system

post by joe9487cool on Jun 12, 2019

Hi,

I have an older timer and can’t just swap out the wires. Any guidance/suggestions?

post by Pinnaclescapes on Jun 12, 2019

@joe9487cool The timer looks like a mess, but the basics are the same. You should have one power wire going to each valve and one neutral wire.

post by DLane on Jun 12, 2019

@joe9487cool, @Pinnaclescapes is right. The wiring legend is in the bottom picture and I think the associated wiring bundle. The colors are the ones from the controller, not necessarily the field wire colors:

Check for an in-line rain sensor in the common wire as that can play havoc with you.

I’d suggest making a quick run on the old controller to make sure everything works and then labeling the wires.

post by SalisburySam on Apr 9, 2020

@DLane, thanks for the info and specifics. I’m at the same point…removing a 6-year-old RainBird controller and replacing it with the Rachio 3. I have a rain sensor, 13 zones for 76 heads/soakers/drippers, and a booster pump relay. My Step 1 was to have the entire system turned on for Spring by the irrigation company that installed the system, replacing broken heads, repositioning some for ground and landscape changes, and verifying the rain sensor works.

My Step 2 has begun: labeling each and every wire with what it is connected to today. I’m using stick-on labels that are used to label envelopes. They come in large sheets, are easy to write on, and easily wrapped around a wire to stick to itself. They’re large and can be quickly read by those of us with less-than-perfect vision.

After that I’ll work on whatever Steps 3 through whatever may be.

post by DLane on Apr 9, 2020

@SalisburySam - two other comments:

  1. Take pictures of the current wiring in the event a label falls off or is mis-labeled.
  2. You can configure the Rachio early while disconnected from the wiring. I’d do this so that the Rachio is ready to roll when you are. I’d also recommend starting with Fixed schedules instead of Flex and then migrate a couple to Flex schedules to get them dialed in and progress from there.

Have fun and welcome to the community.

post by SalisburySam on Apr 9, 2020

Great tips, and I didn’t know #2. Sounds much easier to do with the device not installed. Thanks also for the kind welcome.