Unplugging Rachio Unit for Season - Settings - Rachio Community
Unplugging Rachio Unit for Season
post by MichaelS76 on Nov 15, 2021
I’ve winterized my system for the season and moved to Standby Mode. Are there any possible negative effects by unplugging the unit for the season rather than leaving it plugged in for 5+ months?
post by Glen_Cove_5511 on Nov 20, 2021
I’d like to know as well. My system was winterized today. I went ahead and set the controller to standby mode. Is there anything else I should do?
post by ritchierich on Nov 21, 2021
I’ve been using Rachio for over 6 years and I have always just put the controller in standby mode during the winter. This way any firmware updates can still be loaded onto the controller.
post by MichaelS76 on Nov 22, 2021
I went ahead and just unplugged it this past Saturday afternoon as I winterized my lawn equipment for the end of the season. I figured that I won’t be using it for close to 5 months, so might as well preserve some of the life of the unit.
post by SalisburySam on Nov 23, 2021
After winterizing last week, I unplugged my Rachio 3, as I’ve done the last two winters. Seems to be no ill effects. See no reason why using Standby wouldn’t work though. Not sure one is a better approach than the other long term. Unplugging may save a minor bit of electricity where going to Standby allows the unit to still receive any updates that may be transmitted, I think.
post by Art1 on Dec 12, 2021
Power surges can be tough on electronics. If one has multiple outages each winter due to trees in the power lines or lightning strikes, there may be some value in disconnecting your Rachio. I personally use surge arresters in our house to mitigate this problem.
post by dane on Dec 14, 2021
This is great info! We recommend Standby mode as your Rachio will still receive updates including firmware updates and soil moisture tracking for Flex Daily users. You’re also less likely to need to re-connect through WiFi via the WiFi Update (although this is largely dependent on whether network changes have occurred). There is very low power consumption in Standby mode. Still, it is up to user preference. There is nothing wrong with unplugging it if that is what you prefer.