Unable to connect when using Unifi AP - Troubleshooting / Wi-Fi - Rachio Community

Unable to connect when using Unifi AP

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues for Rachio controller

You have selected 0 posts.

Post by neile on Apr 9, 2018

I upgraded my network to use Unifi equipment and access points and am now completely unable to get my Rachio gen 2 to complete wifi setup. I’ve opened a support ticket but they are very slow to respond and the info so far has not helped.

What I’ve done so far:

  1. Created a dedicated 2.4GHz wifi network called “RACHIO” with no outbound firewall rules and no MAC address filtering.
  2. Confirmed the controller connects to the network. It shows up in the list of attached clients, and the MAC address listed matches what’s printed on the controller.
  3. Looked at the “deep packet inspection” page for the controller to see that outbound and inbound traffic to AWS is happening.

Even with all this, the controller never finishes setup. It just keeps cycling from the 3rd blinking light for a while back to the 2nd blinking light. The signal strength reported by the AP is 97% (-51 dBm) and the network channel is 11.

I’ve done all the configuration with my phone in airplane mode and only connected to the Unifi network I created for the Rachio (the phone connects fine and can access the web fine). I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Rachio app on the phone too, since 1st level support said to try that.

Suggestions:

I have a Ubiquiti network including APs and I have zero issues. What router are you using? What AP / FW version? Just curious why you created a separate SSID for the Rachio controller?

Post by fpuig

I have a all Ubiquiti network including APs and I have zero issues. What router are you using? What AP / FW version? Just curious why you created a separate SSID for the Rachio controller?

Post by scorp508

No issues with my UniFi gear here. Our Rachio connects to the AC AP Lite closest to it. Same SSID on 5 & 2.4GHz radios and it connects to the 2.4.

Post by DLane

I have no idea if this is an issue or not, did you upgrade from V2 to V3 of the software before you changed out the AP? One other suggestion would be to get the RouteThis app and run it so that information can be provided to Rachio. They have some good networking folks on the help desk. I might schedule a call with them when you’ll be home to troubleshoot it further.

Post by neile

I have a UniFi AP-AC-Pro (version 3.9.19.8123) and Unifi security gateway running on a Synology box via Docker. I set up a separate 2.4GHz-only SSID because support told me to.

Post by franz

It looks like your controller data was migrated over to our new V3 application but it can not receive the new firmware. Have you tried a WiFi reset in the app?

Post by neile

Thanks for the reply Franz. I’ve tried those wifi reset steps more times than I can count, most recently today when trying on both my 2.4GHz network and then my combined 2.4GHz/5GHz network.

Post by franz

Do you have a hotspot (most phones have this capability) by any chance that we could at least get the controller’s firmware updated and connected to the cloud?

Post by neile

I can enable hotspot on my phone. Then tell the Rachio controller to connect to that hotspot and hope it finishes updating?

Post by gene

Try changing the address in your command from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.10.1 to match the subnet you are getting.

Post by DLane

The 3rd light flashing indicates that the app did its job setting up Wi-Fi, but the controller is having trouble on your Wi-Fi.

Post by BradMelton

I recently upgraded firmware and reconfigured our Unifi APs for better coverage. Our old Rachio Gen 1 stopped connecting to the 2G WLAN broadcast from our outdoor Unifi AP-AC-Mesh. After trying many recommendations, I installed a Wi-Fi range extender. The old Rachio successfully connects to the extended SSID.

Summary of suggestions: