The sprinkle doesn't Stop - Getting Started / International Users - Rachio Community
The sprinkle doesn’t Stop
post by joseprus on Mar 25, 2020
Hello!
I’m from Spain and I’ve just configured today my Rachio 3.
All is ok except the sprinkle doesn’t stop. If I do a manually I can not stop it with the pause or stop option. I’ve tried to do a schedule of 1 zone and it starts but doesn’t stope. HAve somebody has the same problem? Thanks!
post by DLane on Mar 25, 2020
@joseprus - post a picture of the label of the power supply being used. This is a symptom of a DC power supply. Rachio needs an AC power supply (1 Amp or 1,000 milliamp capacity). There are other posts that mention this exact problem and the solution is a 24 V AC power supply.
post by joseprus on Mar 26, 2020
Thanks for your Help.
I attach a picture of the one I’m using.
Isn’t it ok to run with Rachio?
post by Stewart on Mar 26, 2020
That one has a DC output and not suitable. You need a transformer with 24 VAC out, capable of supplying at least one ampere.
post by joseprus on Mar 26, 2020
Thanks again for your Help.
I have an old transformer of my Hunter machine. The one you can see at the Picture 1. Do you think it is ok to use with my Rachio? If it is not ok, do you know or recommend a web site where to buy it in Europe?
If the old one is valid to use, can I connect directly to the Rachio in the 24 VAC hole showed in the picture 2? As you can see my wire doesn’t have the 5.5 mm connector (picture 3) and I can only connect putting inside the VAC hole. THANKS!
post by DLane on Mar 26, 2020
@joseprus - the Hunter power supply will work! Just cut the plug off the Rachio or other power supply and connect the two wires from the Hunter to the plug. It doesn’t matter which wires are connected to which one on the plug.
post by Gene on Mar 26, 2020
@DLane is right. To his advice, I will add that you should NOT try using 24v terminals such as those you’ve shown on the last picture. They are not rated for the full system load and as such cannot be used for power input.
post by joseprus on Mar 27, 2020
Unfortunatelly the Hunter power supply doesn’t work :(. I’ve connected each wire to each 24 VAC hole in the Rachio but nothing happens. It doesn’t arrive power. Do you know where can I buy one AC power supply that could work? some e-commerce / webpage / Amazon that can send me to Spain. I don’t know where to find - Thanks!
post by mamphoto on Mar 28, 2020
Hola Jose,
I had the same problem here in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The system will start but not stop. I was able to stop it by manually turning the relief valve with a screwdriver.
After much troubleshooting, found the problem was solved by changing the diaphragm in one of the valves that was not stopping. A very inexpensive and easy way to troubleshoot and isolate part of the process.
Just adding a few ideas to the troubleshooting process.
Hope it helps,
Miguel Angel
post by Gene on Apr 2, 2020
Can you take a photo of the two plugs, and original Rachio plug if you still have it, looking down the barrel so to speak. I wonder if the inside hole size on the AC adapter is larger than advertised and does not make good connection.
post by joseprus on Apr 2, 2020
Hello!
Attach you have a picture with the 3 connectors.
1.- The first one, on the left, is the original one of the Rachio
2.- The second one, in the middle, is the first Power supply I bought that works but doesn’t stop
3.- And the last one, on the right is the one I bought this week you recommended me, that doesn’t work.
What do you think?
post by Gene on Apr 3, 2020
Did not mean to have you make such a permanent conversion, but it works!
Next step is to remove the front cover of your Rachio by removing the screws on the backside and take a picture of the board.
Don’t be discouraged. It may be an easy fix.
post by joseprus on Apr 3, 2020
I’ve done that, and surprise! Something is burn!
What can I do now? I need Rachio changes my device
post by Gene on Apr 3, 2020
Your MOV is blown. You can try reaching out to Rachio support to see if you can get the controller replaced, but if you don’t use all of your 16 zones, you could use one of the MOVs from an unused zone to repair your controller.
post by joseprus on Apr 3, 2020
Thanks @Gene
Rachio don’t want to change my Device because I live in Spain and they say they don’t give support outside USA. So I have to buy another one or try to repair this.
I only use 10 zones … but I don’t understand what I have to do … Can you explain me with more details?
What is a MOV? I don’t find the Spanish translation of this word.
post by Gene on Apr 3, 2020
MOV is a type of surge protector:
You, or someone you know, would need to use a soldering iron to remove the damaged part, clean the area with alcohol and q-tips, then remove a working part, highlighted with a circle in a previous picture, from an unused zone and solder it on where the damaged part used to be.
post by joseprus on Apr 7, 2020
Hi @Gene!
I’ve repaired the Rachio!
Now it works perfectly, thanks a lot for your help!
The problem was the Varistor, that I’ve changed for a new one and a rectifier too was spoiled and been changed.
I was becoming crazy but finally with your help now it works!
Thanks again!
post by Kosza on Apr 12, 2024
Hi @franz ,
Can you share the type/parameters of this varistor?
I am in Europe. I tried to fix a rachio3 like the above. Now there are two unused zones but later they would be used. This is why I would like to buy the varistor to replace the broken one (MV18).
Thanks for your help!