The Official HomeKit Updates Thread - Smart Home & API / Smart Home - Rachio Community
post by franz on May 14, 2021
05/14/2021 Update
Our Wifi vendor Cypress has started research on the issue but no progress. They are asking for ADK logs on devices to help troubleshoot the disconnect. Our Homekit firmware consulting team will have dedicated expert resources starting in about two weeks to modify firmware to capture these logs. Once that has been rolled out hopefully they will be able to make further progress.
post by dane on May 21, 2021
Following up on Franz update last week. We are still waiting for our dedicated HomeKit consulting team to be fully re-engaged with this project. The expert resources will be available immediately after Memorial Day. We’ll continue to update this thread.
post by dane on May 28, 2021
We are still in a holding pattern as we wait for our resource to start immediately after Memorial Day. There will be more information posted here in the coming weeks.
post by dane on Jun 4, 2021
06/04/2021 Update
There has been a delay in our resource getting started this week. Our engineer is on track to begin work Tues/Wed next week.
post by dane on Jun 11, 2021
06/11/2021 Update
Great news! Our HomeKit engineering team has started back up on the project in earnest. Hoping to provide more information next week.
post by dane on Jun 18, 2021
06/18/2021 Update
Our HomeKit engineering team has added deep logging into the Rachio firmware to try and capture where in the networking code HomeKit is erroring out. This code will be deployed out to Beta customers so we can gather more information regarding this issue and work on next-steps.
post by dane on Jun 25, 2021
06/25/2021 Update
We’ve rolled out the Beta of our new HomeKit firmware. We’re gathering controller log data in relation to HomeKit to track down the root cause. We have not identified it yet
post by DLane on Jun 25, 2021
@dane - You might want to edit the post as I think the update is really 6/25 and not 6/18. Just saying.
post by dane on Jul 9, 2021
07/09/2021 Update
We met with the Apple team and will be incorporating their Rachio controllers to help with our beta program, they are also helping us follow up with Cypress (WiFi chip vendor) to see if they have made progress on any known networking issues with the chipset.
post by dane on Jul 16, 2021
07/16/2021 Update
The Apple team has incorporated the beta into their controllers this week to collect data. They are working with Cypress (WiFi chip vendor) but have not identified any networking issues. We will continue to update as we learn more from our partners.
post by dane on Jul 23, 2021
07/23/2021 Update
We continue to work with our partners to review the logs from controllers experiencing the issue.
post by dane on Jul 30, 2021
07/30/2021 Update
The Apple team has replicated the issue on their Rachio controllers. Our teams are working together to analyze the logs. We will be meeting next week to review next steps.
post by dane on Aug 6, 2021
08/06/2021 Update
Incorporating a new Apple Development Kit (5.3) into the firmware. The Apple engineering team is recommending this as it might correct the disconnect issues customers are experiencing.
post by dane on Aug 13, 2021
08/13/2021 Update
Testing continues this week. There are no updates to share.
post by dane on Aug 20, 2021
08/20/2021 Update
Work continues. There are no new updates to share this week.
post by dane on Aug 27, 2021
08/27/2021 Update
Based on our learnings, we’ve rolled out new firmware to beta testers this week to get more information and review results.
post by dane on Sep 3, 2021
09/3/2021 Update
Continuing to work with Apple. There are no new updates to share this week.
post by dane on Sep 17, 2021
09/17/2021 Update
We have sent test units to Apple for debugging.
post by dane on Sep 24, 2021
09/24/2021 Update
We are still awaiting for Apple to receive our test units.
post by dane on Oct 1, 2021
10/01/2021 Update
Apple is testing our debug units.
post by dane on Oct 8, 2021
10/08/2021 Update
Apple is continuing to test our debug units.
post by dane on Oct 15, 2021
10/15/2021 Update
Apple is continuing to test our debug units. There is no new information to share this week.
post by dane on Oct 22, 2021
10/22/2021 Update
We are waiting for feedback from Apple.
post by dane on Oct 29, 2021
10/29/2021 Update
There are no updates to share this week. We are waiting for Apple to complete testing and provide feedback.
post by franz on Nov 20, 2021
There are no updates to share this week. We are waiting for Apple to complete testing and provide feedback.
post by dane on Dec 3, 2021
12/03/2021 Update
Apple continues to investigate. There are no updates to share this week.
post by dane on Dec 17, 2021
12/17/2021 Update
Apple is still testing. Apple and Rachio are both closed for the holidays. This thread will not be updated until Friday, Jan. 7th
post by dane on Jan 8, 2022
01/08/2022 Update
We’re resuming regular updates. I hope everybody had a good and safe holiday. We do not have new information to share. We will continue to work with our partners and update in this topic.
post by dane on Jan 14, 2022
01/14/2022 Update
We have not received updates from our partners and we’re waiting on a response to our request.
post by dane on Jan 22, 2022
01/22/2022 Update
I apologize for the delay in posting this update. We do not have new information to share this week.
post by dane on Feb 4, 2022
02/04/2022 Update
We are currently communicating with Apple. They are reviewing logs and will provide recommendations. We have shared with them a Community user’s post on the user’s own investigation into mDNS
post by dane on Feb 11, 2022
02/11/2022 Update
The status remains the same without new information to share as our HomeKit engineering team has been reviewing logs from Apple.
post by dane on Feb 19, 2022
02/18/2022 Update
There is no new information to share. We are actively working with Apple and our HomeKit engineering team.
post by dane on Feb 25, 2022
02/25/2022 Update
We have been reviewing recommendations from Apple and researching the hardware engineering team resources needed to implement.
post by dane on Mar 4, 2022
03/04/2022 Update
We are currently onboarding a new firmware engineer to help us with this project.
post by dane on Mar 11, 2022
03/11/2022 Update
Our recently hired firmware engineer has been onboarded internally and is working through hardware familiarity. We are working on project prioritization and will notify everyone as soon as the next phase of this project has started in earnest.
post by dane on Apr 1, 2022
04/01/2022 Update
Our firmware engineer has ordered equipment to begin initial work. Again, we’ll update this thread once we’ve fully started the project.
post by dane on Apr 22, 2022
Update 04/22/2022
Hi everybody!
This topic is being retired and replaced by a new topic where we will post updates on the progress of our firmware engineer’s work resolving connection issues with Apple HomeKit that some users experience. If you have enabled notifications on this topic, you can disable it and I encourage you to enable notifications on the new topic.
The new topic will be updated fortnightly. The next update will be May 6th, the update after that on May 20th, and so on.
For the sake of redundancy, please find the latest update (04/22/2022) below. Again, new updates will be posted in the new topic.
Our firmware engineer is fully onboarded. Their Apple HomeKit testing environment has been established. They are currently testing and replicating working with Apple’s dev team through bi-weekly meetings.