Smart Hose Timer WiFi Hub Power Issues - Troubleshooting - Rachio Community
Smart Hose Timer WiFi Hub Power Issues
post by mjmeli on Nov 19, 2023
I have 5 timers so I have had to get 2 WiFi hubs. Turns out, it has been quite an adventure to find 2 hubs that work well. All of the hubs I have received have major QA issues. Specifically, the power connection is extremely brittle.
Of 4 hubs I have received:
- 3 will not power on at all unless I manually align the DC barrel adapter into a perfect position. I have found that the trick is to push the adapter in hard and pull it down a bit. However as soon as I let go of the adapter, it will lose power. I had to return these ones.
- 1 has a solid enough connection where it will work, but if I move the hub ever so slightly, it will lose power. Fortunately it will reconnect on its own. I have kept this one as 1 of the 2 hubs I need.
There seems to be a pretty clear issue with these hubs. Has anyone else had similar issues with theirs? Or any suggestions on how to get a better connection so that I don’t have to avoid slightly dislodging the hub?
Also curious how these have passed QA, as it takes only a couple of seconds to identify this issue.
post by Thomas_Lerman on Nov 19, 2023
Mine has been working great
post by richardd on Dec 19, 2023
Having the same issue. Just got my WIFI hub a week ago and I have to push the AC barrel jack into the hub hard and hope it stays powered on. But like you, the slightest movement of the jack, and the hub powers off. I found another adapter with the same specs around the house and that one works just fine. I can jiggle the barrel jack around and the wifi hub stays powered on.
I decided to call Rachio and get a replacement as that adapter already belongs to another item. Just received the replacement today, and the same issue. And like the other one, my own adapter works just fine on it.
Looks like there is a quality control issue here. I’m calling Rachio tomorrow and going to get this figured out.
post by mjmeli on Dec 19, 2023
That’s interesting, I already gave up on these for the year since my watering season is done, but I’ll have to try a different adapter. I kind of just assumed it was the hub-side connector that was the problem. It would be dumb if this all came down to them cheaping out on the power adapter.
I did try to contact Rachio support via email and was fully ignored about this issue, which frankly annoyed me even more. I am curious to hear if you get any feedback.
post by richardd on Dec 20, 2023
OK, just got off chat with Rachio. They are sending me out another unit, so #3 is on its way. I don’t have much hope since it is probably coming from the same distribution center and will be the same batch. So still expecting the same issue. But they also said they have escalated this issue to their product group. We’ll see how that turns out. In any case, I am still using my own AC adapter and that’s working fine…though would like to get that back to its paired item.
post by Marreeves on Feb 11, 2024
Interesting that this is my first post to the community. Researched why my hose hubs wouldnt power and found this thread. Thanks to everybody for creating it. After reading the topic, I found that the base of hub comes off without tools. I then plugged the adapter in without the top case and it powered right up and no wiggle. The problem is the case pushes the connection too far in for the adapter to firmly seat. A little drimmel work to cut a larger hole for the adapter and it works beautifully. If this is the only issue I run into with this piece of technology, I will be quite happy. I bought this because I can control it voice and my husband loves to garden. It will help us a lot!
post by AnnieM on Mar 12, 2024
Marreeves,
Thanks for this post as I am having the same problem. Support sent me 2 replacement hose timers, but the hubs have the same issue. I removed the base of the hub as you suggested, plugged in the power adapter and the hub powered right up. I did confirm the power adapters were working properly.
post by purson on Mar 16, 2024
Today is March 16, 2024 and I just received my smart hose timer today only to discover the same problem people here have reported since last year. NO POWER TO HUB. No lights, no nothing unless I jam it hard, but it won’t stay on. Clearly, Rachio has been aware of this defective plug since last year yet they are still shipping it. WTF??? Now I don’t have time to wait for a replacement (which is likely defective too) before I leave for a number of months. Looks like I’ll have to buy a replacement hose timer locally OF A DIFFERENT BRAND. I’m extremely unhappy.
UPDATE
OK. I calmed down. Rereading the previous posts suggested that I cut some of the plastic away from the plug to get a better fit. That seems to work, however I’m still upset with Rachio for not addressing this issue. They are acting like amateurs.
post by scubafork on Mar 26, 2024
I’m in the exact same boat-just received an order in mid-March and if I’m pressing the power cable in, it will stay on—but as soon as I release: lights out. Checked with support and they’re sending a new power adapter.
Disappointing that it happened, but it sounds like they’ve received enough reports and hopefully have been able to find a compatible supplier going forward. Hopefully.
post by issaquahbg on Apr 3, 2024
I ran into the same problem. I followed suggestions from community, knowing I could return to Costco if all else failed… I’ll add that you need to peel off the rubber bottom of the hub to access the fastening screws. I used a Drummel tool to easily grind off the lip of the plastic housing’s power plug entry point. That “lip” prevented the power plug from fully seating. Re-assembled, problem fixed. Thanks!
post by DAC on Apr 9, 2024
Thanks all for this thread! Same problem- barrel of power adapter is too short and/or hub case prevents jack from securely engaging. Mine purchased at Costco requires as Issaq said peeling back rubber base, removing 3 screws, enlarging power plug hole. I’m going to get Rachio to send a good one so didn’t modify but confirmed it all works with hub circuit board out of the case. On reassembling I didn’t fully tighten the screws and it now works but cord isn’t secure and it has to be sitting just so.
post by Zedd on Apr 11, 2024
I just purchased two of these hub/timer kits at Costco. The hubs are useless as the power connector basically falls out of the hub. Basic power jack connectors are industry standard and have been around over 60 years. How can this be so difficult to get right? I am dead in the water (no pun intended). Now what?
post by johnny2678 on Apr 13, 2024
Same here. 1st one I ordered was really touchy, but I get get it to stay powered if I stood on one foot and touched my nose long enough. So I just ordered a second one and it won’t power at all unless I brute force the plug into the hub, and as soon as I stop putting pressure on it, power goes out.
Long time Rachio supporter, and I will continue to be but this is a QA issue that needs to be fixed.
edit: drilled out the hole with a 3/8 drill bit. That did it.
post by wakerider on Apr 15, 2024
So much YES… what is up with the QA on these power issues? I’ve been using a Rachio for my yard irrigation for some time now. Was very happy to see the hose timer option for our raised beds. First one comes in and the wifi hub will not power up. I assume dead on arrival and ship it back to Amazon. The second one comes in and exact same issue. I’m thinking it’s me by now but I find this thread and start jamming and twisting and turning the power plug and at least for a hot second I saw a light come on the hub for the first time. But I can’t get it to stay on as soon as I let go of the adapter. How in the world did these pass QA? I’m not going to start cutting on adapter… looks like I’m shipping back 2 of 2.
post by DAC on Apr 21, 2024
Rachio customer service was great on this. I emailed and within a few hours had a response that they would send a replacement power adapter. A week later had a replacement adapter with slightly longer barrel and problem solved.
post by mjmeli on Apr 22, 2024
When I started this thread last November, I had already reached out to Rachio support about this multiple times and never even received a response. I am going to try again now that I am approaching watering season again.
post by ericmcgovern on May 5, 2024
Just chiming in here - opened my hose timer that I received in late February and same thing. Power plug just wouldn’t stay in. Came across this thread - and based on the number of people have the same issue I just took the top of the unit off, drilled it out using a 3/8" drill bit and now no problems. I did write to support before finding this thread, but may just keep it, since it works. I moved it all around a bunch and powered stayed on, so happy with it.
post by MrE on May 20, 2024
So I followed the suggestion I read above removing a bit of the power supply jacket, I started with the the thickness of a large flat head screwdriver rolled a razor circle around metal plug to remove a bit. This worked, sits properly, no longer touchy.
post by mjmeli on May 24, 2024
I reached out to support and referenced this thread, asking for a “fixed” adapter. They sent me a replacement adapter quickly, no questions asked. However, the replacement adapter was the same as the old one, and still had the same issue.
post by DAC on May 25, 2024
Sigh…… I think shaving off some plastic on the barrel so plug can be inserted deeper would work but frustrating because you shouldn’t have to. Try phone support- I got right through and other than long shipping time the phone support was great.
post by DaveTopanga on May 28, 2024
Both of the units my wife just bought have the same problem. So, being the geek that I am, I did the following:
- Removed the power adapter
- Removed the rubber ring from the back of the hub
- Unscrewed the three screws that hold the based plate into the units casing
- Removed the circuit board
- Found a drill bit that was larger than the existing opening in units casing
- Enlarged the opening and had to jiggle the drill bit at an angle to enlarge the hole to be big enough to accommodate the barrel on the power adapter wire.
- Placed the circuit board back in place and the cover, but did not replace the screws yet.
- Tested to see if barrel would stay properly inserted.
- First couple of times, the new hole was still not large enough, so I repeated some steps above.
- Then put circuit board back in place.
- Placed the screws back into place and tightened.
- Placed rubber seal back in place being careful to keep the reset hole exposed.
Works like a charm now, though I did have to remove the hose devices from the app and reinitialize them. ARGH.
Dear Rachio,
You REALLY need to have a redesign on the outer casing and/or the barrel length on the power adapter. Too many people here have had this problem. The only reason I did not return this is that the drive to the hardware store would have taken more time and gas money than just fixing it myself.
post by DAC on Jun 10, 2024
Was just browsing and something you said has me wanting to mention that if you have more than one hose end valve you only need 1 hub assuming that 1 hub has enough range for your situation. I bought a 2 pack of the hose end valves but it only has 1 hub and I’m finding the published range is shall we say, “optimistic” and I can’t use them everywhere I want to.