Smart hose timer internal flooding - Troubleshooting / Tech Support - Rachio Community

Load more posts above

post by franz on Oct 13, 2025

franz
Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

@tkbrigham I am having our customer success team reach out to you.

Thank you for your patience!

post by JBrachio on Nov 6, 2025

JBrachio
I have experienced the same flooding issue with my unit

post by franz on Nov 6, 2025

franz
Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

@JBrachio I will have our CS team reach out to you.

Thank you for your patience.

post by uncgal10 on Nov 11, 2025

uncgal10
Has anyone found a modification to make to prevent the internal flooding? Also does anyone have a picture/video of the internal flooding in action? I have replaced two timers due to this and want to install this third with some preventive measures. There are no leaks from my spigot and other non-smart hose timers have worked great so I am chucking this up to a design flaw.

post by jlpatinop78 on Dec 28, 2025

jlpatinop78
Merry Christmas @franz I love this product but I am experiencing same exact challenge, even with The battery door is properly closed and secured. Despite this, moisture is consistently found inside the battery compartment.

It appears that the battery door seal weakens over time, allowing water intrusion during normal outdoor exposure (rain or irrigation). This has resulted in repeated battery failures and renders the device unreliable for its intended use.

This issue appears to be related to a sealing or housing defect.

post by dmegee on Dec 28, 2025

dmegee
I have the same problem. I frequently clean the rust and reset. Usually works. It’s a real problem when I am out of town for awhile. Today I cleaned the valve and the light doesn’t come on and therefore pairing doesn’t work

post by dmegee on Dec 28, 2025

dmegee
Mine looks like this too. I have had some success cleaning with vinegar and soda but it has now quit completely and won’t light up or reset.

post by franz on Jan 5

franz
@jlpatinop78 @dmegee

Just getting to these…

Do you still need assistance with this?

post by dmegee on Jan 5

dmegee
I bought a replacement. It was 8.5 years old so I guess it was time. Thank you for getting back to me

post by franz on Jan 5

franz
Sounds good, please let us know if you have any other issues.

post by rachio on Feb 7

rachio
Hi All

I’m having the same problem, which I fear has contributed to a followon issue.

I noticed rust color outside the battery compartment, so I opened the unit and discovered a lot of rust, heavily corroded batteries, and the foam inside the cover was soggy wet.

I used a brush to clean the terminals, replaced the batteries, and left it outside a few hours so the internals could dry.

Later, I connected everything again and turned on the water. unlike some above, the system seemed to work - the light turned blue and water started flowing; however, when I pushed the button again, the light turned red, but the water just kept going.

Not sure what to do next… is the unit dead? Do I need a replacement?

post by Jbraz on Feb 19

Jbraz
I’m having the same issue. It just keeps dripping out of the battery compartment.

post by AngieTheGardener on Mar 16

AngieTheGardener
I’ve only had the Rachio working for two months in California and it broke with flooding of batteries. So much for this battery set working for the watering season, according to Rachio marketing materials.

post by NickBfromOh on Mar 17

NickBfromOh
I have also experienced this issue. One of the springs is now broken off

post by Yana on Mar 22

Yana
I had the same problem with moisture build up in the battery case. My hose is not exposed to rain but still got rusted. I cleaned the rust pole and put fresh battery in the hose is still working but I am hesitant to use it again because of the poor moisture proof door.

post by Yana on Mar 22

Yana

post by ClashingPlaids on Mar 25

ClashingPlaids
I also experienced this problem, and I appreciate that Rachio provided a replacement. However, I am concerned that there has been no mention of any root cause analysis, unit re-design, or even hacks to avoid the problem. It’s nearly time to put the replacement unit to work, so I’d like to figure out how to avoid a repeat.

post by compuad77 on Mar 26

compuad77
I have the exact same issue. I have 6 of these and 1 is literally spewing water from the battery compartment.

post by Bahr on Mar 31

Bahr
Same issue but contacted support. They said since it was over a year that I had been fighting it they could no longer repair or replace. Good idea but not product.

post by lukie-poo on Apr 11

lukie-poo
I hadn’t thought of reaching out when I first encountered this when taking the hose timers inside last fall. Though, the timer that flooded was a couple of years old as of last fall, so I would assume I’m also not eligible for a replacement. I’m hopeful the other one holds up!

post by A4budak on May 3

A4budak
I have two units both had battery compartments flooded. Cleaning one with contact cleaner solved the issue no luck with the second unit

post by chrismg71 on May 8

chrismg71
@franz I just found this thread. Could you please have someone reach out to me about this? I have had this issue as well. Thank you

post by franz on May 8

franz
@chrismg71 I will have our customer success team reach out to you.

Thank you for your patience!

post by va-rain on May 20

va-rain
Franz, I have the same issue, unable to use for this season so far

post by franz on May 27

franz
@va-rain Sorry I was out last week.

Do you still need assistance?

post by va-rain on May 27

va-rain
Inside battery area got wet and rusty last season, went to use it this season and water is leaking from the inside? Unable to use

post by franz on May 27

franz
@va-rain I will have our customer success team reach out to you.

Thank you for your patience!

post by inga52282 on Jun 7

inga52282
I had a similar problem with one of my units. I assumed user error so I just bought a replacement. Unfortunately, at the end of last summer, the two I had purchased that season were also rusted with a corroded battery.

post by inga52282 on Jun 9

inga52282
If someone could reach out to me to advise me about this, it would be greatly appreciated!

post by lindsejc on Jun 13

lindsejc
We’ve really enjoyed and appreciated this product. Ended up buying four units to manage things, but now one of them has had water leak into the battery compartment, causing corrosion.

@franz can you have someone reach out?

post by franz on Jun 13

franz
@lindsejc I will have our customer success team reach out to you.

Thank you for your patience.

post by inga52282 on Jun 16

inga52282
@franz Hi. Could you have someone reach out?

post by franz on Jun 16

franz
@inga52282 I will have our customer success team reach out.

Thank you for your patience.

post by btrimboli on Jun 20

btrimboli
I have water oozing from the blue button on my smart hose timer, and it no longer works (despite changing out batteries). I bought it in 2023, so I assume it is no longer under warranty.

Is it possible to purchase another smart hose timer valve without the wifi hub (since I already have that)?

post by Edl156 on Jun 20

Edl156
@franz, do you mind having someone reach out. I am having the same internal valve leak, I have checked the spigot and hose connections and they seem fine

post by franz on Jun 22

franz
@Edl156 I will have someone from our Customer Success team reach out to you.

Thank you for your patience.

post by jmags1223 on Jun 30

jmags1223
Hello all. I just found this thread and I’m also experiencing the same issue. Is there a known solution to this? I have a lot of corrosion in my battery compartment and am worried the leads themselves won’t work even if I dry everything out.

post by btrimboli on Jul 14

btrimboli
@franz ?

post by franz on Jul 14

franz
@btrimboli I will have our CS team reach out to you!

Thank you for your patience.