Smart hose timer internal flooding - Troubleshooting / Tech Support - Rachio Community

Smart hose timer internal flooding

I’ve got water flooding into the battery chamber of my Rachio smart hose timer. I’ve been through this in the past with two units that Rachio replaced, and I am starting to wonder if it’s me or Rachio that’s to blame.

I am currently running four timers. Three of the timers are trouble-free. The one that is malfunctioning was bought at the same time as the two others that previously failed, so perhaps there were manufacturing issues with that batch? I’d appreciate any insight that the community might be able to offer, as this is starting to drive me mad.

Post by Thomas_Lerman

I have one timer with no issues.

Post by franz

@Fymaxwell I’m having our support team reach out to you. They will take care of you!

Post by WaterMunkee

Same here. Twice. First time I thought maybe I could’ve incorrectly installed the battery door. Lots of corrosion inside after 45 days, device quit working. After cleaning thoroughly, I installed fresh batteries and battery door and ensured everything was snug. New batteries completely rusted/corroded within 45 days again, and again device quit working. Obviously this unit’s battery compartment is not waterproof. Frustrating!

Post by bgorbet

Same problem. I’ve only had this device a few months and its already all corroded inside. Doesn’t seem like the waterproofing works well enough! 😞

Post by PamL

I have only 1 timer and I have the same problem with it flooding and the batteries corroding.

Post by Jkuri

Hello,

I seem to have a similar problem with the battery compartment. When I went to swap out the batteries, the compartment had water inside. I am quite sure that it was installed properly and I am not subject to freezing temperatures. Been less than 6 months so did not expect batteries to be expended already… installed in June.

Post by ecobuilding

Hi- I too am having the flooding issue. The two valves I’m running were showing as disconnected and I found the flooding when I thought it was a battery issue. I turned out the two screws holding the battery compartment to the valve body. The design is such that the flooding was confined to the battery compartment, and the circuit board and solenoid are sealed. Tried to capture in the photos.

Post by dcampbell386

I have (2) timers and both are having internal flooding and the batteries are completely eroded. What do I do?

Post by NinaGail

Just had this issue on one of my hose end timers. Thought it was something I did wrong until I saw this thread. My other timer has not had any issues, but it has not been in use as long. Will be extremely disappointed if this is an ongoing issue.

Post by dmegee

I have the same problem. I frequently clean the rust and reset. Usually works. It’s a real problem when I am out of town for a while. Today I cleaned the valve and the light doesn’t come on and therefore pairing doesn’t work.

Post by jlpatinop78

Merry Christmas, @franz I love this product but I am experiencing the same challenge, even with the battery door properly closed and secured. Despite this, moisture is consistently found inside the battery compartment.

Post by AngieTheGardener

I’ve only had the Rachio working for two months in California and it broke with flooding of batteries. So much for this battery set working for the watering season, according to Rachio marketing materials.

Additional Concerns

I appreciate that Rachio provided a replacement. However, I am concerned that there has been no mention of any root cause analysis, unit re-design, or even hacks to avoid the problem. It’s nearly time to put the replacement unit to work, so I’d like to figure out how to avoid a repeat.

Suggestions

  1. Drill a drain hole so the water can leak out.
  2. Seal the door with duct tape.
  3. Ensure the battery door is screwed down tightly and the unit is oriented/installed vertically.