Smart hose timer internal flooding - Troubleshooting / Tech Support - Rachio Community
Smart hose timer internal flooding
post by Fymaxwell on Jun 26, 2024
I’ve got water flooding into the battery chamber of my Rachio smart hose timer. I’ve been through this in the past with two units that Rachio replaced, and I am starting to wonder if it’s me or Rachio that’s to blame.
I am currently running four timers. Three of the timers are trouble-free. The one that is malfunctioning was bought at the same time as the two others that previously failed, so perhaps there were manufacturing issues with that batch? I’d appreciate any insight that the community might be able to offer, as this is starting to drive me mad.
Top replies
post by Thomas_Lerman on Jun 26, 2024
I have one timer with no issues
post by franz on Jun 26, 2024
@Fymaxwell I’m having our support team reach out to you. They will take care of you!
post by WaterMunkee on Oct 9, 2024
Same here. Twice. First time I thought maybe I could’ve incorrectly installed the battery door. Lots of corrosion inside after 45 days, device quit working. After cleaning thoroughly, I installed fresh batteries and battery door and ensured everything was snug. New batteries completely rusted/corroded within 45 days again, and again device quit working. Obviously this unit’s battery compartment is not waterproof. Frustrating!
post by bgorbet on Oct 24, 2024
Same problem. I’ve only had this device a few months and its already all corroded inside. Doesn’t seem like the waterproofing works well enough
post by PamL on Nov 18, 2024
I have only 1 timer and I have the same problem with it flooding and the batteries corroding.
post by Jkuri on Dec 15, 2024
Hello,
I seem to have a similar problem with the battery compartment. When I went to swap out the batteries the compartment had water inside.
I am quite sure that it was installed properly and I am not subject to freezing temperatures.
Been less than 6 months so did not expect batteries to be expended already… installed in June.
post by franz on Dec 16, 2024
@Jkuri I’ll have someone from our support team reach out to you. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
post by Davico on Apr 22, 2025
I have the same issue in one of my devices, but both of them are not working as expected anymore. Water leaks from inside the device
post by ecobuilding on Apr 28, 2025
Hi- I too am having the flooding issue. The two valves I’m running were showing as disconnected and I found the flooding when I thought it was a battery issue. I turned out the two screws holding the battery compartment to the valve body. The design is such that the flooding was confined to the battery compartment, and the circuit board and solenoid are sealed. Tried to capture in the photos.
post by wodentx on Apr 30, 2025
Wish I would have searched here before throwing my old one away that was 14 months old a few weeks ago. The responses being provided sure do instill confidence!
I too had internal flooding into the battery compartment. Figured it was my fault when I put the batteries in it. I only discovered my issue after i went to put new batteries in after setting up the tomato garden (patio planter) for the new season.
Sorry for the ramble.
post by cmschoell on May 9, 2025
Same here. Just replaced my batteries for the first time and I have the same little pool in the battery compartment, corrosion, etc. Poor design for an outdoor product.
post by Thomas_Lerman on May 9, 2025
Mine has not leaked at all and I have changed the batteries at least a couple of times. I wonder if these leaks could be preventable. Because of other things I have learned and teach (SCUBA), whenever I see any kind of O-ring after opening something up (such as Rachio), I make sure it is clean (no sand, dirt, etc.), seated properly, not pinched or torn, still soft, and periodically use a type of grease on it.
post by Xempt on May 11, 2025
I’m having this same issue. My battery compartment was secured but it is now corroded inside and not working.
post by franz on May 12, 2025
@Xempt I am having our customer success team reach out to you.
post by Fymaxwell on May 12, 2025
Hi! I started this thread, and now I’m having the exact same problem with yet another of my smart hose timers. Note that this is the last remaining unit from the initial product release (all of the units I purchased later are problem free, which suggests to me that the problem has been solved). @Franz, would you be able to have someone from your team reach out to me about replacing this one? Thanks in advance!
post by joshuaTrue on Aug 2, 2025
I also have a valve flooding into the battery compartment and it no longer works.
post by Trung2704 on Aug 8, 2025
Have 1 out of 3 newly bought hose timers where the battery compartment is flooded. Can tech support contact me to determine if it can be repaired?
post by jeffbankston on Jul 4, 2025
I’ve had the same problem, it almost killed a couple of my potted plants when it stopped working. Rachio sent me a new unit (kudos on that) but when I open it, it looks like the same design. There’s no way that little rubber foam pad can seal this battery compartment properly. The non-smart Orbit and other valves I’ve used have a much more robust battery sealing setup and I’ve used those for years with no leaking.