Serial number already in use? - Troubleshooting / Tech Support - Rachio Community

Serial number already in use?

post by jaduckett on May 3, 2018

I am trying to set up my controller and the app says the controller is already in use and to contact support for assistance. I can’t seem to get ahold of support so I am turning to you all. Hoping to get answers before my garden dies from lack of water!


post by mitchell on May 3, 2018

Hi @jaduckett,

We can definitely get you setup and taken care of! Would you mind sending a picture of the Serial # on your controller? Was this a controller you purchased used or inherited with a new home?


post by Bioreef on May 3, 2018

I just had the same problem. I had to close out my app and restart the app on my phone, then from the app I went to more than controller settings and then had to reset up my WiFi access for the controller.


post by foxhound1421 on May 9, 2018

I am also trying to add my controller to my account but it says the Serial # is already in use. I recently just plugged in the Rachio Gen 2 after leaving it unplugged all winter. I tried to do a wifi reset and factory reset with no help.


post by mitchell on May 9, 2018

@foxhound1421

What is the Serial # of your controller?


post by mitchell on May 9, 2018

Thanks Sergio!

Your controller was attached to “carefreesprinklers”. Perhaps an old irrigation company? I went ahead and transferred your device to your account.

You should now see it within the app! Hope this helps.


post by highcountrytech on May 21, 2018

“This controller is already in use” problem / Support is terrible / why is this an account issue in the first place, the user should be able to reset the whole system themselves, purge - connect - reconnect / Dear Rachio, how about some straightforward answers … Please?


post by franz on May 21, 2018

We’ve seen issues where the controller was actually stolen.

There is nothing that we are hiding, if the controller wasn’t properly removed from the system (user’s account) it is still associated with someone’s account.

Do you have a controller that you need removed from the system?


post by highcountrytech on May 21, 2018

New build Richmond home, have never set it up, the home was completed in December, system was shut down all winter, time to see if it works … let’s get my account associated with the controller installed on our wall serial# VR0718644, what else do you need, username-highcountrytech : )


post by jrichcharm on May 22, 2018

Hi I have this same issue, I purchased a controller on Ebay. I need help


post by franz on May 22, 2018

@Jrichcharm

Please PM me a photo of the serial number. Thanks.


post by Hlove on May 24, 2018

I’m having the same problem. I tried to log in and it would not let me log in. I tried to reset the password it would not let me reset password. I reset the system, I reset my Wi-Fi, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled the app still nothing. Then I opened up a new account put the serial number in and it says the serial number is already in use. I bought the system about a year and a half ago and had no issues until now, when I tried to restart my system. I can do it manually but I cannot do it from the app.


post by franz on May 24, 2018

Checking your account...


post by Hlove on May 24, 2018

I think I found your issue, you are using a different email address. Will send you the one you should be using.


post by Hlove on May 24, 2018

I want to say thank you for helping me out. 😊

I love my Rachio! 😊 again.


post by DLane on Mar 10, 2020

@matias - this is a request that Rachio technical support needs to handle - community members can’t solve this. Email support at Rachio, or call.


post by Dougtait86 on Jul 6, 2018

My timer is also showing it was previously registered. VRO500661


post by AlexBM on Jul 10, 2018

Same issue, moved into a new house…help


post by DLane on Apr 15, 2021

@Mina- this is mainly an end-user supported community. You’ll need to call or email support at Rachio for help with the serial number issue.

Looks like you have an 8 port Gen 2 model. Follow the WiFi reset instructions for Gen 2, they are different than the Gen 3 version. Post back the light code (how many LEDs are lit) and any error messages you get in the app.


post by Stasia on Jun 12, 2025

I bought a Rachio hub and 2 smart timers from Amazon. However, they appear to be used as I get the Rachio hub is already in use error. Any help would be appreciated.