Serial number already in use? - Troubleshooting / Tech Support - Rachio Community
Serial number already in use?
post by jaduckett on May 3, 2018
I am trying to set up my controller and the app says the controller is already in use and to contact support for assistance. I can’t seem to get ahold of support so I am turning to you all. Hoping to get answers before my garden dies from lack of water!
post by mitchell on May 3, 2018
Hi @jaduckett,
We can definitely get you setup and taken care of! Would you mind sending a picture of the Serial # on your controller? Was this a controller you purchased used or inherited with a new home?
Alternatively you can contact our Support team directly at 1-844-4RACHIO for over the phone assistance.
post by Bioreef on May 3, 2018
I just had the same problem. I had to close out my app and restart the app on my phone, then from the app I went to more then controller settings and then had to reset up my WiFi access for the controller.
post by mitchell on May 3, 2018
@Bioreef! You should only receive the error message that your Serial # is already in use if you attempt to add the controller to your Account. It sounds like you may have performed a Wi-Fi Update to get your controller back online, which is a different process..
If I can be of any further assistance please let me know!
post by foxhound1421 on May 9, 2018
I am also trying to add my controller to my account but it says the Serial # is already in use. I recently just plugged in the Rachio Gen 2 after leaving it unplugged all winter. I tried to do a wifi reset and factory reset with no help.
post by mitchell on May 9, 2018
@foxhound1421 What is the Serial # of your controller?
post by highcountrytech on May 21, 2018
“This controller is already in use” problem / Support is terrible / why is this an account issue in the first place, the user should be able to reset the whole system themselves...
post by franz on May 21, 2018
We’ve seen issues where the controller was actually stolen.
There is nothing that we are hiding; if the controller wasn’t properly removed from the system (user’s account) it is still associated with someone’s account.
Do you have a controller that you need removed from the system?
post by highcountrytech on May 21, 2018
New build Richmond home, have never set it up, the home was completed in December, system was shutdown all winter, time to see if it works … let’s get my account associated with the controller installed on our wall serial# VR0718644, what else do you need, user name-highcountrytech : )
post by DLane on Jun 18, 2019
I need help because on the app it doesn’t show my controller and when I try to add the controller back it gives me the error that it’s already in use. My serial number is ac6578899
post by DLane on Apr 15, 2021
@Mina - this is mainly an end user supported community. You’ll need to call or email support at Rachio for help with the serial number issue.
Looks like you have an 8 port Gen 2 model. Follow the WiFi reset instructions for Gen 2, they are different than the Gen 3 version. Post back the light code (how many LEDs are lit) and any error messages you get in the app.
post by Acappelli on Aug 14, 2021
Hi Mitchell. I’m having the same issue. Are u able to help?
post by aheldredge on Nov 12, 2022
I got a replacement unit because my second replacement glitched out, and I’m getting the same error. Clearly the replacements under warranty are hastily-refurbished units, and this just adds to the frustration.
post by Stasia on Jun 12, 2025
I bought a Rachio hub and 2 smart timers from Amazon. However, they appear to be used as I get the Rachio hub is already in use error. Any help would be appreciated.