Repeated drop off wifi - Troubleshooting / Tech Support - Rachio Community

Repeated drop off wifi

post by Frenchracer on Apr 16, 2023

I have a Gen 3 controller that has slowly become worse and worse dropping off wifi. Rock solid the first year and now barely stays on for 15 minutes. Nothing has changed in my network. Using Orbi 960 system. I have dozens of IOT devices in the house demonstrating zero problems. And have a Gen 2 controller at my other house also using Orbi that is rock solid. Anyone can help ???

post by DLane on Apr 17, 2023

@Frenchracer - run the RouteThis app, code is RACH, and see what Rachio support sees on your network.

post by Frenchracer on Apr 19, 2023

Thank you. Ran the app. Connected the Rachio to a 2.4 GHz only network. Worked for a while then dropped off. I am pretty sure there is something wrong with the controlled wifi chip. It worked well at the beginning and all my other IOT devices around the house have no issues.

post by Myosin on May 9, 2023

On Friday, a brand-new Rachio was installed. It will not hold WIFI for more than 12 hours. I emailed support every day and got no response. I have an Orbi 960 with 3 total satellites. I have coverage for a 12,000 sq ft house. My house is 5,000 sq ft. My EV charger and my Ring cameras in the front yard have never lost WIFI. Very disappointed in the Rachio 3.

post by Route128 on Jun 3, 2023

I’m having the same poor experience with my Rachio 3 (12 zone). This irrigation controller falls off my WiFi at approximately the same cadence as my lawn is actually getting watered, so I’m finding that I can’t trust it. I’d be curious to know if the Roaming assist feature on my router (i.e., to disconnect clients with RSSI <-55dBm) is involved, but alas the “troubleshooting” Rachio component in iOS isn’t designed to surface any useful information. It’d be nice if I could just hit the device at port 22 and do some real diagnostics, or if it had an ethernet port.

post by Frenchracer on Jun 3, 2023

I found that creating a dedicated IOT 2.4 GHZ network for my automation devices fixed the problem with my Rachio. Used to fall off wifi all the time and has been rock solid since. I think Rachio doesn’t like networks that have both 2.4 and 5 GHz on the same ID.

post by Route128 on Jun 3, 2023

Yep. I have exactly that. I have a dedicated, fenced IoT 2.4GHz network for my automation devices and nothing else. Well, my iPhone is allowed on that network, so I can swing my iPhone over there and run the app. I can see on the router that the connection goes up and down, which is actually normal. But I can’t see much on the Rachio side.

post by questioneverything on Jun 8, 2023

Similar to you, this is my 3rd season with gen 3, no wifi issues until I took it off standby last month. Same network setup for these 3 seasons, mesh style. I’m leaning mostly towards either the wifi chip or radio of the rachio is going bad. Or there was some update rachio did in April/May that is causing this?? My network firmware has not changed during this time so I don’t think its network related per se.

post by steve2023 on Jul 29, 2023

New install and I had at the same issue with dropped connections on a router with Smart Connect (ie 2.4 and 5 ghz sharing common SSID). Separating the networks when you have a lot of IOT devices is a nightmare as all of the devices on which network you give a new SSID to need to rejoin. And some IOT’s make this a really difficult as they hide the network reconnection screen in a very deep hole. NO fun.

post by testrada on Jul 31, 2024

same issue here. btw, my 2nd AP point is located very close to the rachio (just on the other side of the wall from the rachio). thus, option 2 may not be it… will try fiddling with the wifi dual band network settings as I don’t want to separate the networks.

post by TylerB on May 15

I had an issue with mine dropping off my Asus Mesh router and shutting down my Ranchio 3 every day or so. What’s weird, I had it plugged and connected to that network in the house for almost 2 weeks before installing it outside. Once I did that, even though it was closer to the router, it kept loosing connection and powering off. Yesterday, I moved it to our ATT supplied router, which is right next to my ASUS. Hasn’t dropped at all so far. Crossing fingers it works now. Very odd stuff.