Rainbird ESP to Rachio install - Getting Started - Rachio Community

Rainbird ESP to Rachio install

post by redcoat on Apr 19, 2024

Hi everyone,

About to switch out my Rainbird 16 zone, for Rachio 3.

Any tips / anything I need to be aware of when doing so?

post by Thomas_Lerman on Apr 19, 2024

Tips:

  1. Before disconnecting anything, check to see if all zones work
  2. Find out about what sensor you have. I suggest labeling, removing, and repeat #1. Do not worry about connecting it to Rachio until later. If it is a rain sensor especially, most end up not using it because of the built-in weather forecasting.
  3. It looks like you might have 11 out of 16 zones hooked up. I do not know how many zones your Rachio has, but if you have room and no plans to expand, consider splitting the wires that have multiple connections to any particular zone. Test the individual zone wires separately to make sure everything works.
  4. While testing all the zones, consider making a rough map so everything is documented.
  5. I see Valve Test (VT) or Master Valve/Pump (MV), so nothing to do here.
  6. Take pictures (done), first removing power from Rainbird (do not connect to Rachio, you will use its supplied power adapter), and label before (or as) removing wires.
  7. Move wires to the corresponding terminal on the Rachio. At least some of the wires look a bit long, so clean that up while moving them.
  8. Connect the Rachio power supply.
  9. If you have not already, install the app.
  10. Retest all the zones, naming them as you go.

If during testing, especially before moving wires, you might want to come back here to see what to do next. Diagnosing issues early can help you start from a clean slate.

post by redcoat on Apr 20, 2024

Thanks for the detailed help!! I’m going to try switching things early next week. I have 9 sprinkler zones and 2 drip. Everything is “working” ok on the Rainbird (we just started it up again for the year).

post by Thomas_Lerman on Apr 20, 2024

Great, let us know how it goes if you will please.

post by DAC on Apr 21, 2024

I think Thomas Lerman’s response covered it well. I converted a 22 zone RainBird system that had 3 cables with repeating colors and I labeled everything obsessively. My wires were too short, so I did a patch panel type thing which worked out great. After it was all labeled and organized, the actual wire moving took only a few minutes.

post by redcoat on Apr 23, 2024

I’m labeling them all now.

Any idea why zone 1-3 and 11 would have much thinner, multi-colored wire? Also, the sensor seems to be only a single wire with red/black, i.e. not powered?

post by heckcj on Apr 25, 2024

I swapped out my homebuilder-provided Rainbird ESP-ME3 controller for a Rachio 3 last year and it was straightforward. Thomas_Lerman provided a very good, detailed list of what to do.

For the sensor connected to your Rainbird, if it is a rain sensor, check out this page before re-wiring: Rain Sensors FAQ.

post by redcoat on Apr 25, 2024

Great, thanks @heckcj! What’s been your experience with switching to Flex Daily Schedule?

post by heckcj on Apr 25, 2024

I think it worked brilliantly last year. My grass remained green and healthy, and based on my casual observations, my irrigation system ran at least half as much as my neighbor’s.

post by DAC on Jun 10, 2024

I tried the flex daily for most of a summer and it really is annoyingly random sometimes because it’s getting bad weather data. Sometimes it just skips watering despite hot, dry weather, or it pours rain and the sprinklers come on anyway. I prefer the monthly flex or even manual schedule.