Rachio/Tempest weather - Schedules & Zones - Rachio Community
Load more posts above
post by Mikegoldnj on Jul 5, 2023
From what I can see in the Tempest app, it doesn’t show anticipated rainfall amounts, only percent chance of rain. We actually ended up getting about .9”
Seems like the weather network did a better job than the linked Tempest. I do like the other data the PWS provides but doesn’t seem to be as useful for controlling rain skips.
post by tmcgahey on Jul 5, 2023
I might have to defer to @franz for this one. I’m not sure that the Tempest is responsible for the forecasting data. I think it is more for live readings, and maybe forecasting is still handled by the same forecasting system for any/all WI.
post by Mikegoldnj on Jul 5, 2023
That would make sense. Still odd that the schedule ran with the forecast as it was. Usually it is spot on.
post by JBTexas on Jul 5, 2023
That would make sense. The Tempest is not a forecasting device (although it presents a forecast in its own app display). Even when my (or your) Tempest is part of the Weather Underground network, it only supplies measured weather information that’s used as part of forecasting services that might be able to use it. Therefore, as a hyper-local weather station, Tempest is perfect for handling a LOCAL rain skip as it experiences it (like sticking our head out the window), but neither Tempest nor Rachio plans rain skips based on forecasts that I’m aware of (or experienced)...
post by tmcgahey on Jul 5, 2023
I think you have it pretty accurate. I’m also not a Rachio engineer or employee, so I might not be 100% in my statements above.
But, like you said, neither Rachio or Tempest have meteorologists on staff looking at everyone’s weather stations. They both pay for a service from somewhere…I’m just not 100% sure if Rachio uses the Tempest forecasting when it is linked, or stays with its own forecasting service. The live data is where the hyper-local benefit comes into play from the Tempest!
post by franz on Jul 5, 2023
@Mikegoldnj Tempest DOES actually have their own forecasting network that they have built.
We do actually take forecasting into place and use that data as much as observations. If the % of probability is > 80% we give the forecast a weight of 1 (.5 inches predicted is .5 inches assumed for data to skip).
If the % of probability is < 80% we use that as the multiplier. (i.e. .5 inches predicted at 70% is .5 inches x .7 used for data to determine if we skip)
@Mikegoldnj PM me the username you use for your Rachio account and I can have the engineering determine if there is a defect or not.
post by tmcgahey on Jul 5, 2023
@franz, for the forecasting seen in Rachio, is that being pulled from the Tempest ecosystem (when linked) and bypassing Rachio’s normal forecasting source?
post by Mikegoldnj on Jul 5, 2023
Thanks! I knew that Rachio was using the weather network intelligence forecasts to initiate skips (and I’ve also seen instances where the skip is then reversed based on updated forecast). Just seemed like forecast wasn’t being taken into account in this last instance with my Tempest...
post by franz on Jul 6, 2023
@Mikegoldnj Weather review from the team.
Here is raw data, does look like we are using your weather flow station (which is good).
{"timestamp":1688440819,"scheduleId":"XXXXX","weatherStationId":"MJG 01", ... }
The forecasted precip was 3.348 mm (0.13 inches). It also looks like you have rain skip set at .25 in which is actually a lot of rain. If you had it set at 0.125 this particular schedule would have skipped as over the threshold.
post by Mikegoldnj on Jul 6, 2023
Thanks! This is great and good to hear.
post by dave97035 on Jul 11, 2023
Having installed a Tempest system last Fall... the “cadence” of watering seems nearly spot on.
post by Eric33432 on Jul 11, 2023
My Tempest integration definitely looks at potential rainfall, not just rain that has already fallen... However, I have no idea from where Tempest gets its forecast information from. Perhaps the National Weather Service?
post by gizbug on Jul 11, 2023
Do you have “Rain Check” enabled on your tempest by chance?
post by Eric33432 on Jul 12, 2023
I’m not familiar with rain check. I do have rain start activated.
post by gizbug on Jul 12, 2023
post by JBTexas on Jul 12, 2023
We found a noticeable difference in rain reporting with our Tempest with Nearcast Rain reporting turned on...
post by Eric33432 on Jul 13, 2023
Yes, I see that it is activated... the first 2+ inch rain event we had wind gusts over 90 mph...
post by JBTexas on Jul 13, 2023
Awesome! There doesn’t seem to be a place in the Tempest settings that shows NC Rain and raw data together...
post by jdross on Apr 22, 2024
The problem I have with the Rachio 3/Tempest configuration is no rain skips for Flex Daily events...
post by ady624 on Apr 26, 2024
@franz I have a bug to report, when disabling... please help.
post by JBTexas on Apr 27, 2024
You might check the online Tempest Community about phantom rain reporting due to instrument vibration...
post by ady624 on Apr 28, 2024
No, my Tempest detects rain just fine. It is the fact that Rachio uses NC Rain that is the problem...
post by franz on Apr 29, 2024
I’ll chat with the team and see if they are able to reproduce. Thanks for sharing!
post by franz on May 2, 2024
Yeah I believe this is a known defect...
post by ady624 on May 2, 2024
Thank you for the extreme speed! Is this a deployment to prod, no firmware update?... THANK YOU!!!
post by Linn on Jul 11, 2025
@franz I know it’s a year later, but Rachio is again using only NearCast Rain for precipitation even if it is disabled on your Tempest...
post by franz on Jul 15, 2025
@Linn Thank you for reporting, we believe this is a WeatherFlow defect...
post by TurfGOD on Jul 16, 2025
I don’t believe the irrigation control looks at a forecast... temperature from the airport weather station.
post by Linn on Jul 19, 2025
Thanks @franz! If I ever get rain again, I will check it.
post by franz on Jul 20, 2025
You won’t get rain with that attitude!
post by Linn on Jul 21, 2025
Got an unexpected heavy shower last night... without NearCast turned on, Rachio recorded it correctly (.63 inches).
post by tmcgahey on Jul 21, 2025
Can I join in? I need some here in AZ!
post by TurfGOD on Aug 10, 2025
Hey we need rain up here in FarNorCal too!