Rachio drops wifi decently often - Troubleshooting - Rachio Community

Rachio drops wifi decently often

post by crusheddiamond on Jul 7, 2025

2DM4ZDF3. <–code from routethis
Just trying to get some information on what’s going on with my controller it’s fairly new and it keeps disconnecting from the network.
I don’t think the connection is that bad that it should be disconnecting.
It’s on a 2.4ghz network with wpa2 password and was given a static IP.
It should be fine as well, there are other 2.4ghz IoT devices in the same room further away from the same point staying connected just fine but the rachio controller seems to keep just “disconnecting”

post by questioneverything on Jul 8, 2025

Welcome to the club. Seems like a lot of different scenarios leading to wifi issues. Mine, for example, has trouble staying connected every May-June (4 years) and outside of that its fine. You can also check your signal strength in the rachio app. Gear icon → controller settings → technical info. If the RSI is -30 to -50, it’s good.

post by crusheddiamond on Jul 17, 2025

Well I am past my Amazon return period but I’m thinking of contacting rachio and asking for a refund, I can add another wap to my network but to honestly have to do so for just the irrigation controller despite every other thing with a connection even further away in the same area to me feels like an unnecessary action to take on my part.
It’s simply not consistent I got it working again and it worked for a week and then disconnected again while my garage door opener, smart bulbs and a few other things have been rock solid.

post by questioneverything on Jul 17, 2025

From what I’ve found, at least for mine, is that none of that makes a difference. I’ve tried putting the controller on its own 2.4 network, messing with different channels, static IP. Mine would still disconnect regardless. So I just keep it on my mesh network, and aside from May-June, it stays connected. Like yours, its the only device in that area that disconnects.
Also with mine, when it disconnects it won’t water, which its still supposed to. I have to unplug it and reconnect wifi each time. And each time it boots up it flashes orange/green, which is something to do with firmware. Mine once again this year has been solid since July started. I seem to be the only one experiencing this particular issue, May-June.

post by questioneverything on Jul 21, 2025

Jinxed myself, offline again

post by MikeD on Jul 24, 2025

I want to relay my experience. My Rachio 2 and 3 were disconnecting from the WIFI often. I have an Xfinity router/modem combination and have a common SSID. I was just about to split the networks with separate SSID’s, but I tried turning off the xfinitywifi hotspot. That was the problem! The connection has been rock solid since, even with a common SSID.

post by JohnVA on Aug 8, 2025

I finally figured out that my power block was getting fried in the sun. I bought a new one and I’m moving my gear inside.