Pump relay control for each zone options - Getting Started / Before You Buy - Rachio Community
Pump relay control for each zone options
post by puremtbr on Apr 20, 2020
I bought the 12-zone Rachio 3 from Costco but haven’t installed just yet as I’ve run into a potential issue that I’d like to get feedback on. I have a rust inhibitor injector pump connected to my current system that I’ve programmed to only turn on for 4 of my zones (my current Hunter controller allows the pump to be on/off for each zone). It appears that I can’t control the pump to operate per zone, it’s either all or nothing on the Rachio 3. Based on the cost of the rust inhibitor, this isn’t feasible option for me. After reading numerous posts and suggestions from 2016 to add this feature, I’ve seen some workarounds being developed but I’m not sure if there are any recent ones I’m missing. Here’s what I’ve learned as the options:
- Add the feature as a future upgrade. This seems to be the simplest option by adding a toggle in the advanced wiring options for each zone. Can someone from Rachio comment if this is on the upgrade plan for the immediate future?
- There was a workaround someone posted by adding relays to the zone that you don’t want to turn on/off. Unlike the example posted, I have 4 zones that I want the pump on, thus I’ll need 4 relays added to the controller, which is not a very elegant solution.
- Another option someone posted was a script that can be run to turn on/off the pump, but it needs to be hosted on something that is always on, which I don’t have.
- Another possible solution is to have the pump on a smart outlet and use IFTTT to turn on/off the pump, but I don’t believe you can choose individual zones to control this action in IFTTT. This would have been a good alternative if individual zone controls were allowed in IFTTT.
Am I missing anything as a viable options or updates on the above before I return this? I was really excited when I picked this up.
post by Stewart on Apr 21, 2020
Maybe something like
powering the pump when any of zones 1-4 are active. You’d use a 24 VDC relay, with the resistor chosen to provide about 24 V to the coil.
post by DLane on Apr 21, 2020
Two other options are:
- Use a second controller for the non-injection zones. And no, there is no synchronization between the controllers - one would have to use time or day limits to prevent them from stepping on each other (pulling down the water pressure to the other system).
- If it is fewer than 4 zones that are non-injection then wire a relay to open the pump line so it won’t start on those zones.
post by puremtbr on Apr 21, 2020
Thanks @DLane, @Stewart. I have 12-zones total, 8 non-injection, and 4 injection. So basically the @Stewart option posted? While the schematic makes sense, I’m trying to figure out how that would be actually wired to the controller with the relays I’ve seen. Can it be done with one relay?
post by DLane on Apr 21, 2020
The relays referenced by @Stewart are DC relays, not AC powered relays. There is also a diode in there to prevent the other zones on the pump circuit from tripping their solenoids when a different zone is running. There is also a resistor and capacitor in the circuit.
post by puremtbr on Apr 22, 2020
@DLane, thank you for clarifying about the option posted. In that case, this is beyond my capabilities at the moment to figure out and experiment with, unless someone has attempted this already. Still don’t understand why this option isn’t built into the software when much more complex use cases have been implemented.
post by Gene on Apr 22, 2020
One option you may wish to consider, and which may be easier to understand, is to get a timer relay and move the zones which need the rust inhibitor onto a separate schedule within its own time slot.
post by DLane on Apr 22, 2020
The other method that you may have seen in the community may have been designed/created by me. That one uses a one to one relay (24 VAC coil to KISS) for each zone that needs the rust inhibitor.
post by puremtbr on Apr 22, 2020
Thank you @Stewart. I like this power relay module, I think I just need further details about how to wire my pump relay wires to the power module. Also, do the 2 input wires (yellow and blue) go straight to the zone in the Rachio panel, on top of the sprinkler system wire for that zone?
post by jrego7 on Apr 26, 2020
The most flexible solution would be to update the firmware to allow for pump control on a schedule basis (not zones). The schedules would allow you to schedule and select any number of zones with pump active/inactive.
post by puremtbr on Apr 26, 2020
Totally agree, @jrego7. Your option is even better. Actually, with the new fertilization products Rachio is introducing (which I know are being applied manually now), you’d think they’d have this option for those with injector pumps to apply their product.
post by Stewart on Apr 26, 2020
How about you buy two of these: Wire each of the 4 inputs to a zone that needs the inhibitor. Connect the 4 outputs in parallel and use to control the pump.
post by puremtbr on Apr 26, 2020
Thank you @Stewart. I like this power relay module, I think I just need further details about how to wire my pump relay wires to the power module.
post by vinayg on Apr 27, 2020
Thank you. I do like this setup. I have plenty of Wemo wifi smart plugs lying around. Plug pump into Wemo smart plug.
- Run all my non rid-o-rust zones first via a schedule.
- My Wemo Switch is turned on by a schedule in the Wemo App. Schedule is set to run after when 1) is expected to be complete.
- Run my rid-o-rust zone schedule. Pump will turn on since both pump relay and pump power need to be on.
- Wemo schedule turns off sometime later in the day.
post by puremtbr on May 12, 2020
Appreciate everyone’s input. While the timer and relay solutions are a workarounds, I’m having a hard time justifying the added work and/or upkeep for something that can be implemented so quickly through a software upgrade. I understand others may feel those are viable solutions for them and that’s totally fine, it’s just not for me. I just returned it to Costco and will stay with my existing set-up. I’ll check-in every once in a while to see if anything changes. Thanks again everyone.
post by jrego7 on Jun 7, 2020
UPDATE! —- Last year I reached out to Rachio and RainMachine and requested the ability to control the pump via the program schedule or per zone. I want let everyone know that although Rachio has not heard our requests, RainMaker has updated their software. I can confirm the RainMaker HD allows you to create as many programs as you like, within programs you can assign zones, for each individual zone you can choose to enable the pump… This allows you 100% full control of the pump at a granular level. FINALLY! we have a solution in a smart system.