Outdoor plug - Troubleshooting / Wiring - Rachio Community

Outdoor plug

post by Rcapach on May 24, 2022

I just bought an enclosure on Amazon thinking that it came with the plug wiring as some people have said and also some additional hardware to install that way and it didn’t. Any idea what I should buy to do this? My understanding is it was also supposed to come with something to secure the plug wiring like a nut or something. I got all this from an install video I watched from googling it. Am I missing something else?


post by tmcgahey on May 24, 2022

Did you buy a random enclosure, or did you buy the Rachio brand enclosure?


post by Rcapach on May 24, 2022

The rachio enclosure for both version 2 and 3


post by tmcgahey on May 24, 2022

And what are you saying that it is missing? The box itself is designed to be hard wired, and has a plug for the Rachio controller to be plugged in to. Being that ever installation is different, I don’t believe that they include anything for installation, other than maybe some mounting hardware…


post by Rcapach on May 24, 2022

In this installation video (skip to 2:47) made by rachio

Hardware Installation — Rachio Weatherproof Outdoor Enclosure

They start taking about an actual plug instead of hard wire. I don’t have this plug or stain relief bushing (as they call it).

Some reviews on Amazon were saying that it used to come with it but I didn’t get one. If it’s not supposed to come with it, I need to get these parts as the unit I’m replacing also utilizes a plug on the outside of my house instead of being hard wired. I am just not sure where to acquire them.


post by JC851 on Jun 6, 2022

FWIW, I just received my enclosure (ordered from HomeDepot). It comes with the plug/pigtail already inside - seen here:


post by Rcapach on Jun 6, 2022

Thanks. I was talking about the part that would wire into that and plug into the wall to provide the box power.


post by JC851 on Jun 6, 2022

Oh I see, sorry I misunderstood. I was under the impression that the wiring coming IN to the box should be from a hardwired source (ie not a plug to an outlet that is external to the Rachio enclosure).


post by Rcapach on Jun 6, 2022

That is what they recommend but in their install video they have the alternative install as well.