Not watering when offline - Troubleshooting - Rachio Community

Not watering when offline

post by 196 on Jul 30, 2024

Our home is between renters and there is a gap in internet service. Anticipating this gap I went onto a live chat and explained the situation. I was assured the device would continue to water even when offline… more than once. I also got an email letting me know it was offline but assuring me it was still being watered.

Lo and behold this is false. Checking in a week later our grass is now half dead…no watering has happened. Really disappointed with Rachio for the false information and now in the process of trying to save our grass: /

post by tmcgahey on Jul 30, 2024

What schedule do you have set up at the house. Fixed schedules will run indefinitely, but won’t have any weather intelligence to force a skip. Flex daily can run for a couple weeks before it needs cloud access to update the dynamic scheduling.

post by 196 on Jul 30, 2024

It’s a fixed schedule. No irrigation:/

post by tmcgahey on Jul 30, 2024

Fixed schedule should continue to run. Is there power and water?

post by 196 on Jul 30, 2024

Yes to both. So I’m totally confused. It’s a 1st generation… not sure if that’s the issue?

post by tmcgahey on Jul 30, 2024

Shouldn’t be, unless the controller itself or power supply has failed, which I still have a G1 going strong after 8 years in AZ… Has there been any work on the property that might have damaged the wiring? Can you manually run the zones at the valves?

post by franz on Jul 30, 2024

If it is a 1st generation, my bet is the real time clock battery has died, which allows it to keep track of time offline.

post by 196 on Jul 30, 2024

Is there a way to replace that battery?

post by franz on Jul 30, 2024

I believe if you remove the PCB the battery should be replaceable, but have never tried. I talked to our CS team and they said they can offer an out of warranty discount if you want to upgrade to a Gen 3.

post by franz on Jul 30, 2024

Here is what the inside looks like, you can see the RTC battery (silver), upper left corner.

post by 196 on Jul 30, 2024

Here’s a photo of my lawn after getting bad information… don’t think I’ll be paying for an upgrade anytime soon

post by Fl-user on Jul 30, 2024

@franz How long should the battery last in the Rachio 3? And what battery does it use?

post by franz on Jul 31, 2024

Up to 10 years is pretty reasonable. It uses a CR2032 Lithium Coin Cell.

post by 196 on Jul 31, 2024

Is that the same battery for the Rachio 1?

post by franz on Jul 31, 2024

Yes they are the same battery.