New Setup - Converting from RainDial - Getting Started / Before You Buy - Rachio Community
New Setup - Converting from RainDial
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 17, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I’m ready to jump into the new tech age of technology irrigation. I currently have a RainDial 6-zone unit (RD600-EXT-R) and want to get up and running. I’m in Scottsdale, AZ if that matters. I think I’ll need the following:
- Rachio 8-zone
- Waterproof enclosure
- Flow Sensor
Sound about right? Any suggestions as to which flow sensor works the best or is most cost effective?
post by mckynzee on Oct 17, 2016
Hi @jeremysm1 !
Super excited to have you join the team! Sounds about right if you are installing outside! The only thing I will say is getting a flow sensor is definitely optional. Depending on your needs, I would say there are probably some more cost and time effective ways to get accurate usage from your app. This community is excellent in helping with getting that done!
post by Modawg2k on Oct 17, 2016
Welcome @jeremysm1. I’m in north phoenix. I have 5 zones on my system so I went with the 8 zone Rachio. Sounds like you should get the 8 zone system unless you have plans for any type of renovation of your irrigation system. Also you’ll want an enclosure if it’s outside.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 20, 2016
Thanks for the welcome messages! I ordered the Rachio and enclosure today but will hold off on adding the flow sensor after feeling out the system for a little while. I’m going to shoot for installation over the weekend–so keep an eye out for my frantic posts then.
post by Linn on Oct 18, 2016
I hope you love your Rachio as much as I do, @jeremysm1! I also do not have a flow sensor. I may install one sometime in the future as I travel a lot and can’t always monitor my yard.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 25, 2016
Got the Rachio gen 2 installed yesterday. Had to run to Home Depot to get some connectors so the outside case is connected to the feeder pipes properly. Today, I need to set up the programs. The great thing is that I don’t have lawn, just desert landscape. I’ll dig through the other Arizona threads…but if anyone wants to chime in with best practices for programmed times of desert trees, shrubs, vines and sequencing (ie time of day, duration, and how many days per week to run the program) that will be just about all I need. Thanks!
post by azdavidr on Oct 26, 2016
@jeremysm1 I encourage you to look at the ‘Water Use It Wisely’ site as a great orientation to how your drip zones should be configured, and how much and how often you should water your plants.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 26, 2016
My first test is complete, and the Rachio worked! I’m a little baffled that I actually got my system converted from the RainDial to the Rachio on the first try. Okay, so walking around the yard, turning on/off the zones one by one I found this to be the setup:
- Zone 1, Zone 7, Zone 8: blank / not used / not wired
- Zone 2: all of the bigger trees seem to be on this zone. Most have red emitters.
- Zone 3: seems like everything in the backyard (except the bigger trees) are on this. Vines, bushes, shrubs, plants.
- Zone 4: all I could find turning on is 1 emitter for a plant near the garbage cans.
- Zone 5: the entire front of the house (except bigger trees)
- Zone 6: all could find is 1 small 4ft tree in front…nothing else on this
I went online to this amazing site, http://www.amwua.org/plants/ , to identify the types of landscaping we have. Seems like we have an assortment of these: desert spoon, agave, slipper flower, golden barrel, cereus, mesquite, ironwood, palo brea, firecracker bush, green feathery senna, golden eye, lantana, grape ivy, goodings verbena, cherry red sage.
HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
- What time of the day should I set the system to water each zone?
- How many times per week should these zones each get water?
- What type of emitters should be used for each?
- How do I set this up in the Rachio so it knows how many emitters I have and/or how much water I’m using?
post by azdavidr on Oct 26, 2016
Here are a couple of links to back up @Modawg2k’s description. The Ewing guys will show you too.
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/DIY-Sealing-a-rip-in-drip-tubing-s/6550.htm
http://turning-pro.com/2010/12/28/452/
If your irrigation is greater than 5 years old, you might find that you’ll start playing whack-a-mole with these leaks.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 27, 2016
I went outside this morning to first see which plants actually have emitters and if any were broken. My findings upset me.
-4 broken emitters -many plants without water at all (will have to determine if they are xeriscape or not) -1 crack in a big irrigation feeder hose.
Anyone know how to fix a cracked feeder hose?
post by Modawg2k on Oct 27, 2016
You get a replacement line big enough for that section and a couple of connectors, and then splice out the bad part and replace with the new ones. It’s an easy fix.