New Setup - Converting from RainDial - Getting Started / Before You Buy - Rachio Community

New Setup - Converting from RainDial

post by jeremysm1 on Oct 17, 2016

Hi Everyone,

I’m ready to jump into the new tech age of technology irrigation. I currently have a RainDial 6-zone unit (RD600-EXT-R) and want to get up and running. I’m in Scottsdale, AZ if that matters. I think I’ll need the following:

  1. Rachio 8-zone
  2. Waterproof enclosure
  3. Flow Sensor

Sound about right? Any suggestions as to which flow sensor works the best or is most cost effective?

Top replies

post by mckynzee on Oct 17, 2016

Hi @jeremysm1 !

Super excited to have you join the team! Sounds about right if you are installing outside! The only thing I will say is getting a flow sensor is definitely optional. Depending on your needs, I would say there are probably some more cost and time effective ways to get accurate usage from your app.

post by Modawg2k on Oct 17, 2016

Welcome @jeremysm1. I’ve had my for 1 full summer facing the southern sun and it’s working great, so far no worries with heat as long as it’s within a box.

post by jeremysm1 on Oct 20, 2016

Thanks for the welcome messages! I ordered the Rachio and enclosure today but will hold off on adding the flow sensor after feeling out the system for a little while.

post by jeremysm1 on Oct 26, 2016

Got the Rachio in the mail. Here is a pic of my current RainDial. Is this a simple unplug from here and plug into the Rachio setup?

Lastly, my landscaper said he’d let me know the settings of the irrigation. But, I’m kinda doing this project because I don’t fully trust the settings that they are using.

post by Modawg2k on Oct 27, 2016

You get a replacement line big enough for that section and a couple of connectors, and then splice out the bad part and and replace with the new ones. It’s an easy fix.

post by jeremysm1 on Oct 28, 2016

The absolute best part of the Rachio system is that I can use the app on my phone to turn on a zone and start inspecting. Upon finding a broken emitter or one that needs to be plugged I can use the app to shut off the water, fix it, and turn it back on without running around to the other side of the house.

post by jeremysm1 on Nov 1, 2016

Thanks! Flex sounds like the ideal solution. I have a couple more questions:

  1. How do I turn Flex on?
  2. I have 2 zones that apparently only have 1 plant on them a piece.

post by mckynzee on Nov 1, 2016

You turn flex on by creating a Flex schedule! Check out this article for better instructions: Rachio Flex Schedule.

post by jeremysm1 on Nov 4, 2016

Question: believe it or not it rained pretty hard and long here in Scottsdale last night. How can I check that it actually did that? Also, how do I check how much rain the local weather station received?

post by Modawg2k on Nov 4, 2016

Go to a zone, click on the moisture graph, and you’ll see the graph on November 3rd reflect a slight increase due to rain.