New Setup - Converting from RainDial - Getting Started / Before You Buy - Rachio Community
New Setup - Converting from RainDial
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 17, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I’m ready to jump into the new tech age of technology irrigation. I currently have a RainDial 6-zone unit (RD600-EXT-R) and want to get up and running. I’m in Scottsdale, AZ if that matters. I think I’ll need the following:
- Rachio 8-zone
- Waterproof enclosure
- Flow Sensor
Sound about right? Any suggestions as to which flow sensor works the best or is most cost effective?
post by mckynzee on Oct 17, 2016
Hi @jeremysm1!
Super excited to have you join the team! Sounds about right if you are installing outside! The only thing I will say is getting a flow sensor is definitely optional. Depending on your needs, I would say there are probably some more cost and time effective ways to get accurate usage from your app. This community is excellent in helping with getting that done!
We also have a large group of Arizona users on here who are absolutely incredible when it comes to getting your system set up. Once you have gotten your controller up and running I recommend taking advantage of their knowledge when it comes to getting your settings fine tuned to your landscape!
post by Modawg2k on Oct 17, 2016
Welcome @jeremysm1.
I’m in north phoenix. I have 5 zones on my system so I went with the 8 zone Rachio. Sounds like you should get the 8 zone system unless you have plans for any type of renovation of your irrigation system. Also you’ll want an enclosure if it’s outside. I’ve had my for 1 full summer facing the southern sun and it’s working great, so far no worries w/ heat as long as it’s within a box. And with flow sensors, I don’t personally have one so I can’t comment on that… I am just mindful of my yard and where I see water that shouldn’t be, I go hunting for a leak.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 20, 2016
Got the Rachio in the mail. Here is a pic of my current RainDial. Is this a simple unplug from here and plug into the Rachio setup?
Also, my electricity is piped into the RainDial, but needs to be on the left for the Rachio. Since it’s a flex cable, that should be easy enough. But I’m no electrical expert, is it the same cables/power for RainDial as the Rachio? I’m assuming that I just need to shut off the breaker box before playing with the electricity?
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 25, 2016
Got the Rachio gen 2 installed yesterday. Had to run to Home Depot to get some connectors so the outside case is connected to the feeder pipes properly. Today, I need to setup the programs. The great thing is that I don’t have lawn, just desert landscape. I’ll dig through the other Arizona threads…but if anyone wants to chime in with best practices for programmed times of dessert trees, shrubs, vines and sequencing (i.e. time of day, duration, and how many days per week to run the program) that will be just about all I need.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 31, 2016
Okay, I finally was able to go through that link in order to confirm/find the soil type. Here are the items that I think we’re looking for:
Momoli gravelly sandy loam, 1 to 5 percent slopes. Rating 0.08
Typical profile:
A - 0 to 3 inches: gravelly sandy loam
Bw - 3 to 60 inches: very gravelly sandy loam
Please let me know your thoughts and next steps. Thanks!
Questions from jeremysm1
- What time of the day should I set the system to water each zone (for simplicity, let’s say front yard, back yard, and trees as the 3 zones)?
- How many times per week should these zones each get water?
- What type of emitters should be used for each? Assume most can be classified into 1-2 types of emitters (i.e. Shrubs or Trees).
- How do I set this up in the Rachio so it knows how many emitters I have and/or how much water I’m using?
post by Modawg2k on Oct 31, 2016
For Soil, you can set it to something like “Sandy Loam”, but then go into advanced settings and change your ‘Available Water’ (AW) to 0.08. The lower this number, the more sandy the soil is. Sandier soil allows water to flow thru it faster, but it also does not hold onto water as long as clay-type soils. Next step, set your vegetation correctly. Once you have gotten your controller up and running I recommend taking advantage of their knowledge when it comes to getting your settings fine tuned to your landscape!