New Setup - Converting from RainDial - Getting Started / Before You Buy - Rachio Community
New Setup - Converting from RainDial
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 17, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I’m ready to jump into the new tech age of technology irrigation. I currently have a RainDial 6-zone unit (RD600-EXT-R) and want to get up and running. I’m in Scottsdale, AZ if that matters. I think I’ll need the following:
- Rachio 8-zone
- Waterproof enclosure
- Flow Sensor
Sound about right? Any suggestions as to which flow sensor works the best or is most cost effective?
post by mckynzee on Oct 17, 2016
Hi @jeremysm1 !
Super excited to have you join the team! Sounds about right if you are installing outside! The only thing I will say is getting a flow sensor is definitely optional. Depending on your needs, I would say there are probably some more cost and time effective ways to get accurate usage from your app. This community is excellent in helping with getting that done!
post by Modawg2k on Oct 17, 2016
Welcome @jeremysm1. I’m in north phoenix. I have 5 zones on my system so I went with the 8 zone Rachio.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 20, 2016
Got the Rachio in the mail. Here is a pic of my current RainDial. Is this a simple unplug from here and plug into the Rachio setup?
Also, my electricity is piped into the RainDial on the right side, but needs to be on the left for the Rachio. Since it’s a flex cable, that should be easy enough. But I’m no electrical expert, is it the same cables/power for RainDial as the Rachio? I’m assuming that I just need to shut off the breaker box before playing with the electricity, right?
post by mckynzee on Oct 25, 2016
@jeremysm1 -
Welcome to the team! I’m sure some of our Arizona members will chime in- they are some of the best on here!
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 25, 2016
Got the Rachio gen 2 installed yesterday. Had to run to Home Depot to get some connectors so the outside case is connected to the feeder pipes properly. Today, I need to setup the programs. The great thing is that I don’t have lawn, just desert landscape. I’ll dig through the other Arizona threads…but if anyone wants to chime in with best practices for programmed times of desert trees, shrubs, vines and sequencing (ie time of day, duration, and how many days per week to run the program) that will be just about all I need. Thanks!
post by azdavidr on Oct 26, 2016
@jeremysm1 I encourage you to look at the ‘Water Use It Wisely’ site as a great orientation to how your drip zones should be configured, and how much and how often you should water your plants.
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 26, 2016
My first test is complete, and the Rachio worked! I’m a little baffled that I actually got my system converted from the RainDial to the Rachio on the first try. Okay, so walking around the yard, turning on/off the zones one by one I found this to be the setup:
- Zone 1, Zone 7, Zone 8: blank / not used / not wired
- Zone 2: all of the bigger trees seem to be on this zone. Most have red emitters.
- Zone 3: seems like everything in the backyard (except the bigger trees) are on this. Vines, bushes, shrubs, plants.
- Zone 4: all I could find turning on is 1 emitter for a plant near the garbage cans.
- Zone 5: the entire front of the house (except bigger trees)
- Zone 6: all could find is 1 small 4ft tree in front…nothing else on this
HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:
- What time of the day should I set the system to water each zone?
- How many times per week should these zones each get water?
- What type of emitters should be used for each?
- How do I set this up in the Rachio so it knows how many emitters I have and/or how much water I’m using?
post by azdavidr on Oct 27, 2016
Here are a couple of links to back up @Modawg2k’s description on fixing a cracked feeder hose:
post by jeremysm1 on Oct 31, 2016
Okay, I finally was able to go through that link in order to confirm/find the soil type. Here are the items that I think we’re looking for:
Momoli gravelly sandy loam, 1 to 5 percent slopes. Rating 0.08
Next step, set your vegetation correctly, so if you have the one zone with all trees, set that one to trees. Your Zone 3 looks like all shrubs, so set that to shrubs. I would probably treat your zone 6 small tree as a shrub and water accordingly.