Master Valve only on specific zones - Product Suggestions - Rachio Community
You have selected 0 posts.
17.6k views
46 likes
11 links
32 users
read 11 min
Top replies
post by DLane on Jul 17, 2018
DLane - how many zones need or don’t need the master valve activated as there is an easy way to accomplish this for a few zones using relays.
post by rpw128 on Jul 17, 2018
@DLane
I attached a drawing (hopefully it’s visible). Essentially I expanded my sprinkler system as my yard has evolved. The supply lines to the front are PEX so they are better rated to have pressure all the way. The supply lines to my side yard are Poly (which my understanding is not “supply rated”) so I put a valve in front of it to “protect” it.
Depending on how troublesome the relay solution is I may just see if I can return the Rachio. As I see it, I lost a major functionality of my previous [OpenSprinkler] where I thought this would be an upgrade.
Appreciate the help and curious how much time and cost is involved to put a relay.
post by Gene on Jul 17, 2018
Gene
Looking at your schematic, it may be easier to simply connect Side Yard Supply valve (currently zone 5) to the master valve output (currently unused). This should make everything work. While the yard supply will be pressurized whenever any of the other zones are running, it should not actually activate given that you have individual control over the valves within the side yard box.
post by rpw128 on Jul 17, 2018
@Gene
Thanks for the reply. I did have it this way initially but I think from repeated pressure the Poly/PE pipe got pushed out of the valve and the box flooded (thus losing pressure to every zone).
I since reconnected with a new section of pipe, but fear it will happen again. It’s also just not good practice to keep pressurizing a section of pipe like that (considering exactly what happened to me… will happen). It’s exactly the reason I put a master on that section since I didn’t want to replace the whole line with PEX.
The relay solution mentioned by @DLane or switching the controller would avoid having to over-stress that section.
post by DLane on Jul 17, 2018
@rpw128
For just two zones I would put in two Single Pole Single throw (SPST) normally open relays that would activate the side yard master valve that is on zone 5. The relays are inexpensive, ~$7-8 last time I looked.
Here’s how one would wire it up:
Zone 6 - two wires, one to the Lawn West and one to the coil wire on the relay.
Relay - other size of the coil wire to C(ommon)
Relay Common - 24 V- VAC (if you have a Gen 3, then I think you’d use the 24-VAC terminal and a Gen 2 I believe you’d use the SC (@Gene determined this is the right one to use, instead of SP) - unless Rachio has changed things with the Costco version or an updated hardware.
Relay Normally Open Pole - output to the Side Yard Supply valve, can be combined together with the other relay pole.
Zone 7 - two wires, one to the Side Garden and one to the coil wire on the relay.
Relay - other size of the coil wire to C(ommon)
Relay Common - 24 V+ VAC (if you have a Gen 3, then I think you’d use the 24+VAC terminal and a Gen 2 I believe you’d use the SC (@Gene determined this is the right one to use, instead of SP) - unless Rachio has changed things with the Costco version or an updated hardware.
Relay Normally Open Pole - output to the Side Yard Supply valve, can be combined together with the other relay pole.
For relay, look for one with a 24 VAC coil that is normally open.
As an example:
One can use a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay, instead of the SPST, just use the Normally Open and Common tabs (don’t use the Normally Closed tab).
Let me know if you have any questions, the wiring and relays are easy and will all be right there by the Rachio.
post by Gene on Jul 17, 2018
Gene
If the poly got pushed out before, it may be a good idea to get a few of these guys (link) from your local home improvement store (search for right size for the pipe, no need to get a whole set) and secure the ends well. Even with precautions, the pipe may come loose again if not properly secured.
What @DLane has described is a viable solution, but you would need to use 24-VAC terminal (instead of 24+VAC) in the configuration that he has described since Rachio Commons are connected to 24+VAC.
I’ve thought about using just one SPDT relay (similar to the one @DLane has linked to), here is the schematic to help illustrate the approach (zone 5 would be unused in this configuration).
In this configuration whichever zone is connected to NO terminal drives the coil. (in this example, it’s zone 7, but can be any other zone as long as it is connected to NO terminal).
@DLane’s approach may prove to be better, in case the two valves and a relay running off of one zone (as in with my version) draw more than 300 mA combined (at which point Rachio may start showing errors due to a high current on an individual zone).
Cheers,
Gene
post by DLane on Jul 17, 2018
@Gene - thanks for catching my error buddy! (edited the original post)
And you would have to improve upon my design! While your design has just one relay, I was trying to KISS, by keeping everything similar and allowing for more than two zones.
To provide more detail for @rpw128 - zone 6 would power the side yard master valve when that zone is active as it is on the Normally Closed connection, no power to the side yard master valve when zone 6 or 7 is not running. When zone 7 fires, it would close the relay coil and power the master valve (zone 6 is NOT connected to the relay coil).
post by rpw128 on Jul 17, 2018
@Gene and @DLane
Awesome, thanks, I will give this a whirl for $8-10, appreciate the wiring diagram. I was going to put the worm clamp on but I realized it as soon as I pushed in the PE to the barb. Will need to snip it off and redo it though as it is a good idea.
Though seriously…this can’t be too hard to add the option to have Master on/off for zones in the software…
One question on the above design from @Gene, currently all commons are spliced together. Should I undo this for Zones 6/7 and if so where do they go?
Thanks again!