Leak detected today (DRIP) - Accessories & Sensors / Wireless Flow - Rachio Community

Leak detected today (DRIP)

post by azdavidr on Jul 5, 2018

My trees were due to run today and I saw this message on my screen this morning:

I’d just installed and calibrated my flow meter a couple of weeks ago, so sorry to say but I was questioning whether or not it was real. My tree drip line had previously calibrated to 0.7GPM, very close to the low limit (0.5GPM) of the flow sensor’s range. The high is 115F here today and my flow sensor is in the direct sun in the mornings, so I was wondering if the heat was throwing the accuracy off. I took a stroll around my yard before heading into work and guess what I found.

This zone runs for 5 hours. Since the detected flow was 0.4GPM over what it should be, I figure I saved 120 gallons today (0.4GPM * 60 MIN/hr * 5hr). This is in a part of the yard where I might not have seen it for a while, so I could see not catching it for a few future irrigation cycles as well. Nice!

post by mitchell on Jul 5, 2018

Wow, awesome gif!

While it’s unfortunate you had to experience a leak, it’s extremely gratifying to be able to see our leak detection in action Happy to hear that you were able to catch the problem almost immediately and sounds like you saved a ton of water and headache for later.

post by franz on Jul 5, 2018

My vision of @azdavidr finding the leak.

Also, from your calendar looks like you live in Hades.

post by azdavidr on Jul 5, 2018

More like

And yes, Hades is just about right.

post by brad on Jul 5, 2018

This brings tears of joy to my eyes!! Sorry for your leak… Thanks for sharing @azdavidr.

post by tmcgahey on Jul 5, 2018

Very nice @azdavidr! Wish I could find a way for it to work in the situation I had a few months ago! Could have saved me a few bucks!

post by Dayper on Jul 6, 2018

Wish that thing would work for the hose my husband left running for 17 hours! He had been watering some new groundcover by hand with a squeeze sprayer, set the hose down and it burst under all that pressure. There goes my Rachio savings for the month…and then some!

post by spscoutenPhD on Nov 10, 2018

I resolved and helped one of my customers avoid that type of circumstance with “Exploding Hoses” by installing a master valve on the entire system. The master valve also shuts down the hose bibs so that little mishaps don’t happen when one is not around nor aware of it.

In order to use the hose bibs, we assigned one of the extra stations of the Gen 3 controller. My customer now has a remote control hose bib.

post by Dayper on Nov 10, 2018

Issue resolved. Husband is no longer allowed to use hoses. That being said, I do like your idea.

post by spscoutenPhD on Nov 10, 2018

I forgot about that option. I guess Rachio needs to add a “Don’t let husband touch it” option in the control panel.

post by Dayper on Nov 19, 2018

Poor tech-challenged husband is baffled by our easy-to-use Rachio sprinkler controller, smart thermostat, and streaming TV. Now he’ll think twice before getting rid of me!

post by sunny on Nov 20, 2018

I like your thinking! Sounds like my household.