Is the setup wi-fi SSID always on? - Getting Started / Generation 2 - Rachio Community

Is the setup wi-fi SSID always on?

post by AlHolden on Dec 28, 2024

I’ve installed my Gen 2 unit years ago, and a couple of times I needed to reset or change the Wi-Fi it uses. For this process, the unit transmits a (temp?) SSID for the app to connect with (a name like “Rachio-43xxxx”). Once the unit is connected to our own wi-fi channel, this Rachio channel is no longer needed.

QUESTION 1:

Do I have the above correct? Am I understanding the process?

QUESTION 2:

So since the setup’s done now, and the Rachio-43xxxx setup channel is no longer needed… is it supposed to still be there, broadcasting 24/7, forever and ever?

I can still see it on my analyzer scans, and am a little concerned that anyone in the neighborhood knows that the device is present, (awaiting connections?) and possibly ripe for some exploit that the Rachio folks have yet to discover.

I just wondered if this is nominal, a firmware bug, or the unit thinks that something was never completed. TIA for any feedback.

Al

post by AlHolden on Jan 10, 2025

Wow, this support option is great!

post by Jasonolea on Jan 13, 2025

I have them same thing showing up and when I first noticed it I also noticed the Google Home thinks it’s offline even though it isn’t.

post by AlHolden on Jan 14, 2025

I have leaned of two options, one of which worked for me:

Thanks to Henry @ support for some ideas.

post by tmcgahey on Jan 14, 2025

I agree, I think the bigger issue might be the cached networks. For whatever reason Windows really likes to remember wifi networks, and it is confusing as they look like they are “available” when you look at a network scan.

But to answer your original question, I’ve never had the factory SSID continue to broadcast after initial hookup to wifi…