iOS 14.2 WiFi issues - Troubleshooting / Wi-Fi - Rachio Community
iOS 14.2 WiFi issues
Troubleshooting Wi-Fi
Hey everyone, I wanted to make a post to provide some information on potential WiFi issues with iOS 14.2.
Apple informed us today that iOS 14.2 has a known issue that prevents our WiFi communication from working inside the Rachio app. They’ve said a future version of iOS will fix the issue, but we don’t have a timeline on that.
Areas affected by this currently include WiFi update and adding a Rachio controller to your account.
WiFi update can be completed via the Settings app. Here’s how:
Reset WiFi on your Rachio as seen here.
Note this will be holding the DOWN ARROW + SELECT BUTTON on a Generation 2 controller or holding the WIFI button on a generation 3 controller.
Open your settings app on your phone (the gray icon with the gears)
Go to Wi-Fi settings
You should see a “SET UP NEW DEVICE…” and your Rachio listed there. Tapping your rachio’s name will start the connection process to set it up on WiFi.
There currently is no way to add a Rachio to your account with this issue. I am working on an app update that will fix this, but it won’t release until later tonight or tomorrow. Until then, you can use another device that isn’t running iOS 14.2 or wait for version 4.2.7 to release soon.
I will update this post when the update is released with a fix. Thanks!
Pinned on Nov 6, 2020
post by zachio on Nov 6, 2020
zachio
iOS Developer @ Rachio
The current Rachio version in the App Store is version 4.2.6. The next version we release that will contain a work around for this issue will be version 4.2. 7. Hope that helps to clarify.
post by saizzz on Nov 6, 2020
I was trying everything to get a new Rachio setup and was about to request an RMA but found this. Knowing how long Apple can take to approve apps, are you guys requesting an expedited approval since this is a result of their bug? Anyway, glad to hear you’ve got a fix in the works.
post by zachio on Nov 6, 2020
zachio
iOS Developer @ Rachio
They’ve been pretty quick lately. Sometimes getting it through approval in under an hour. Right now we’re going through testing.
post by andy57 on Nov 11, 2020
I followed the steps above, and successfully added my controller to my wifi network, but the app (4.2.7) still attempts to add the controller to my wifi network and fails (or at least go out to lunch and never comes back). Now what?
post by zachio on Nov 11, 2020
zachio
iOS Developer @ Rachio
Hmm, what kind of Rachio controller do you have and what iOS version are you using? That may help me see if there is a code path that still attempts to add the controller to WiFi through app.
post by andy57 on Nov 11, 2020
I have a Rachio 3 controller. I’m running a pre-production version of iOS 14.3.
By going to “Settings” on my phone I was able to get the Rachio onto my 2.4GHz network, but the app still wanted to add it. Although the error did change to “unable to find your controller” or something like that.
post by zachio on Nov 12, 2020
The work around only happens when running iOS 14.2.0 currently.
Apple hasn’t given us the version of iOS they are looking to resolve this in, so I didn’t expand the workaround outside of what is currently broken.
post by andy57 on Nov 12, 2020
Okay. That’s fair enough. I think I’ve got a phone that has 14.2 on it.
Meanwhile, if I can give some preliminary feedback: there’s no recovery from the failure to connect with wifi that I can see. The screen has no cancel option, so the only way out that I could think of was to force quit the app and start over, which is irritating once it’s happened half a dozen times.
post by zachio on Dec 1, 2020
If you’re just trying to update WiFi, don’t attempt to add a new controller. You can actually update your Rachio’s WiFi without even opening the app.
If the second light is blinking (meaning your Rachio is waiting to join the network) follow these steps. If the second light (or quadrant if gen 3) isn’t blinking, reset the wifi again on your controller to get to that state here.
post by Journeymnn on Dec 1, 2020
I have the same issue. Can’t connect to HomeKit so stupidly tried to reset wifi and now won’t connect to wifi.
- I see the controller on app.rach.io but offline and can’t run anything manually
- trying steps to add via the instructions in app for iOS 14 via the setup new device rachio network results in failure with no indication why
- tried troubleshooting which repeated #2 with addition of airplane mode on phone (iPhone 11 pro running 14.2) which did nothing
Need this fixed urgently as I have new grass seed I now can’t water easily.
post by taylorbob1 on Mar 22, 2021
I have an Iphone 8 with the IOS 14.2
My brand new Rachio 3 would not set-up wifi. The Rachio rep spent 45 min with me and we decided that since my new Rachio 3 had a manufacture date of Dec 2019 (ya, go figure), that it needed to be swapped-out for one with the new firmware loaded onto it.
post by Songwoman on Dec 10, 2020
I could not connect using my Apple 11 phone but I could connect using a friend’s Apple 7 phone.