How to add a motion sensor - Troubleshooting - Rachio Community

How to add a motion sensor

post by qttire1 on Jun 22, 2024

just added the rachio 3 system and need to add a motion sensor to my mulch beds to stop the deer. I see other brands offer a motion sensor for their products. Does rachio offer a motion sensor or can someone tell me if there is another brand that is compatible with the rachio 3 system. I see some things online but just not sure if they will work and would love to be able to tie it into this system if possible.

post by Thomas_Lerman on Jun 22, 2024

I use a Yard Enforcer which is a stand-alone version of what you are talking about. Rachio does not directly support that, but I know people have done this using home automation here in the forums. Will that help you?

post by qttire1 on Jun 23, 2024

Yes I use the smart things app and going to test out my ring camera to trigger the motion to turn on the zone needed.

post by tmcgahey on Jun 24, 2024

This is exactly what I used at one time when a neighbor kept letting his dog crap in my yard and not pick it up. I haven’t used it in a long time, but as long as you have Rachio connected to ST, it should work. Just set a rule within ST to run zone x when motion on Ring.

post by qttire1 on Jun 24, 2024

I tried setting up my ring camera last night. I was able to view the camera through the smart things app and I was also able to turn on a rachio zone through the smart things app. I set up the “if” to be front door camera motion detection and the “then” to turn on zone 10 and turn off after 1 minute. but it is not working. is there something special to do to trigger the motion sensor?

post by tmcgahey on Jun 24, 2024

Boy, it has been 4 years or so since I did that, and I haven’t tried it since ST moved to the new platform.

post by ady624 on Jun 24, 2024

Wondering if ST supports live events with ring - ring are notorious about limiting events. Can you control the zone from ST? look up events on the ring camera in ST (History tab) - does it reflect the motion events?

post by qttire1 on Jun 25, 2024

history motion is not working but I can access the camera and the sprinkler zone from the ST app. Its a first gen doorbell ring camera so maybe to old. going to try a ring spotlight cam to see if that works.

post by tmcgahey on Jun 25, 2024

My Ring Pro looks like it is showing history in the ST app. I can’t access the video history in ST, but it shows the event.

post by jjyahoo on Jun 28, 2024

I currently am using a Zooz battery powered outdoor motion detector array with my Smartthings hub. Both the Rachio and the Zooz motion detectors connect to the hub. Smartthings will allow you to set up a routine that will run a particular zone when motion is detected. You can also turn the zone off after 1 minute.

post by tjh on Jun 29, 2024

If Rachio had fixed their Homekit integration as promised, that’s exactly what I’d have,

post by ady624 on Jun 30, 2024

I mean, HomeKit works now, but I wasn’t able to find a way to use Rachio as an action?! has anyone?

post by dman on Jul 21, 2024

Are you using a SmartThings hub to make the motion sensors work with with the Rachio3 controller? I am new to the Rachio3 and the SmartThings application. I want to use a motion detector to activate a sprinkler set.

post by jjyahoo on Jul 22, 2024

That is correct. I use the SmartThings hub with Rachio irrigation controller and Zooz outdoor motion detectors. I am using SmartThings rather than Amazon Echo because SmartThings routines offer more flexibility.

post by dman on Jul 22, 2024

Thank you for all the information you provided. Do I need to get a SmartThings HUB? I am totally new to this equipment. On other threads there is talk about a SmartThings hub.

post by jjyahoo on Jul 22, 2024

Yes you need a SmartThings (ST) hub for the system as I have it designed.

post by qttire1 on Aug 27, 2024

thanks for all this info. I am using the smart things app and purchased the aeotec smart home hub and got the zooz 800 outdoor motion sensor. The hub syncs right up in the smart things app and i am able to add the motion camera also to the app.

post by jjyahoo on Aug 27, 2024

Brian, you can check to see if the motion detector and the Rachio are connected in the app. Each zone of the rachio should show up as a device.

post by qttire1 on Aug 29, 2024

I was finally able to get it. I had to add a driver to the smart things app and hub to get it to sync to the sensor. Works great now, just waiting to see if this stops the deer.

post by jjyahoo on Jan 28, 2025

I have 4 different motion sensors. Using the virtual switch allows me to have a single routine to turn on and off versus 4 or 8.