Hose Timer won't shut off - Troubleshooting - Rachio Community
Home | Support | Status Page
Hose Timer won’t shut off
You have selected 0 posts.
2.5k views 7 likes 50 users
30](https://community.rachio.com/u/franz "franz")
4](https://community.rachio.com/u/Ethan "Ethan")
4](https://community.rachio.com/u/Tcarlstedt "Tcarlstedt")
3](https://community.rachio.com/u/Stearmandriver "Stearmandriver")
3](https://community.rachio.com/u/rtkane "rtkane")
read 8 min
Top replies
2 / 96
Jul 2024
post by pgatty on Jul 6, 2024
1
I have several hose timers, and one of them won’t shut off completely at the end of it’s scheduled run. I have the same problem when I manually activate and manually shutoff the flow. I’ve disconnected the timer from the hose bib and checked for any debris and don’t see any. I’ve also tried changing the batteries which didn’t help. I was hoping updating to the latest firmware would fix it, but it hasn’t. I’ve even tried resetting the valve by holding the Valve button down for 11 seconds until the Valve’s LED began flashing red. Nothing has worked.
Any suggestions, or does this thing need to be replaced?
2.5k views 7 likes 50 users
30](https://community.rachio.com/u/franz "franz")
4](https://community.rachio.com/u/Ethan "Ethan")
4](https://community.rachio.com/u/Tcarlstedt "Tcarlstedt")
3](https://community.rachio.com/u/Stearmandriver "Stearmandriver")
3](https://community.rachio.com/u/rtkane "rtkane")
read 8 min
Top replies
post by franz on Jul 6, 2024
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
Hmmm, that is strange behavior. I’ll PM you to followup.
post by JimmyJoeBob on Jul 8, 2024
Franz, can you loop me in? I just had 3 of my 6 hose timers fail to shut off this morning. As an important side note, I do use ditch water for my lawns. Perhaps dirt/debris is getting into the actuator mechanism? How do we flush that out?
post by JimmyJoeBob on Jul 8, 2024
FYI, the firmware is updated to 6.0.15 on all of my hose timers.
post by franz on Jul 8, 2024
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
Thank you for reporting this.
I will have the customer success team contact you and troubleshoot/resolve the issue.
post by tmcgahey on Jul 9, 2024
Do you not have any kind of filtration? This would 100% cause an issue with the internals of the valve.
1 month later
post by zpbarton on Aug 21, 2024
I have the same issue on my timer as well. Currently is outputting 8gpm while on and when I try to turn it off it drops to 1.2Gpm.
It is also leaking from the timer while on just above where the hose outlet is like it’s an internal leak near the valve.
post by franz on Aug 21, 2024
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
2
I will have our customer success team reach out to you.
10 days later
post by jrothstein on Aug 31, 2024
Sign me up for this issue. Totally flooded my garden beds twice in the last week because the hose timer solenoid does not appear to close at the end of the run, and it ran all day while I was at work. It thinks it’s done, but never shuts off the flow. If I press the button it turns blue, water flows, I press it again and it blinks red and water just keeps flowing… It’s basically always on…
-Latest firmware
-tried resetting the device
-changed batteries
This is very worrisome. The device should fail into a closed state, not open.
post by LambrettaStarr on Sep 2, 2024
Sam issue here. Can support please let me know how to fix?
18 days later
post by romerro on Sep 20, 2024
Same issue happened to me today. The app showed that the morning watering task had been completed, however, water flow wasn’t shut off and my sprinklers were working for 5 hours until I noticed it. The app didn’t show that the valve was open. When I physically pressed the button LED turned blue and nothing changed. I had to press it again in order to close the valve (LED turned red). After this incident I disabled all schedules in Rachio app and sent an email to support@rachio.com
Hopefully, someone will take a look
6 months later
post by BChlouber on Mar 25, 2025
I’m having the same problem with two of my smart hose timers. What is wrong with them?
post by franz on Mar 26, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@BChlouber Our support team will be able to resolve this for you.
21 days later
post by joergschwarz on Apr 17, 2025
Hi - so what is the solution to this? I have the exact same proble. Hose timer turns on, but not off and water keeps flowing. What can I do to reset the timer?
post by pritter306 on Apr 17, 2025
Same problem, I’ve flooded my garden twice in the past couple of days. Hose timer will not turn off but shows that the run is complete.
post by franz on Apr 17, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
joergschwarz](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
@joergschwarz I have reached out to our support team to assist you.
post by franz on Apr 17, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
pritter306](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
@pritter306 I am reaching out to our support team and they will be able to assist you. They should contact you tomorrow morning.
post by Shane1 on Apr 18, 2025
I have the same issue can I find out the answer to this issue too please
post by franz on Apr 18, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@Shane1 I’m having someone from our CS team reach out to you.
post by Rdragity on Apr 18, 2025
I am having the same issue. Does anyone know a resolution?
post by franz on Apr 18, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
I will have someone from our CS team reach out to you.
post by Kpiersci on Apr 23, 2025
Is there a resolution to this? My hose timer failed just today.
post by dane on Apr 23, 2025
I’ve notified our CS team and they will reach out to you via email.
post by Shane1 on Apr 26, 2025
franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
Nobody ever contacted me
post by franz on Apr 27, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
That’s odd, I will make sure they reach out today. Thank you for your patience.
post by franz on Apr 27, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
Shane1](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
@Shane1 I spoke with the CS team and they mentioned they sent an email last week, and will try to call you today.
post by wakajazz on May 1, 2025
1
Same issue here, woke up to a flooded back yard. This happened with a newly replaced under warranty due to the battery compartment flooding issue hose timer. First run, fail. Good Wi-Fi signal, firmware 6.0.15, battery good.
post by franz on May 1, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@wakajazz I will have the CS team reach out to you this morning and they will be able to assist you.
post by alex1 on May 2, 2025
I am also having the same issue. I got a warranty replacement for not detecting flow. The replacement ran for 4 hours until we noticed. Then we received another replacement and it is doing the same thing. Two failures in a row. Software related??
post by franz on May 2, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@alex1 I’m having the CS team reach out for troubleshooting. Thank you for your patience.
post by huhujiang on May 8, 2025
jrothstein](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
It seems that I am having the same problem with one of my zones. It has been running all the time and flooded my garden bed.
post by franz on May 8, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@huhujiang I am having our customer success team reach out to you and will get this issue addressed. Thank you for your patience.
post by Thomassrob on May 10, 2025
Same issue here. Is there a fix?
post by Ice on May 10, 2025
Same issue here as well.
One works, the other does not
post by franz on May 12, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
I am having our customer success team reach out to you.
post by BROOKLYN18 on May 13, 2025
Just installed 2nd new valve and valve won’t turn off. Need help
post by franz on May 13, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@BROOKLYN18 I will make sure someone from customer success reaches out to you.
post by Stearmandriver on May 14, 2025
1
Very same problem here, just setting up my first Rachio device, the smart hose timer. Pressed the button on the front for a manual run, got blue light and watering started. Pressed button again, got red light, but watering did not stop - in fact there was no flow change at all, the valve did not move. I’ve tried running cycles and stopping them through the app as well and the light on the valve behaves correctly but the valve never shuts off. Brand new device, first time it has ever been turned on.
I appreciate the offers to connect people with support and I’ll take you up on that too, but also why not post some public troubleshooting steps so when customers look this problem up they can immediately find something to try? Would also save one go-round with customer service when they ask us to try the first steps, if we’ve already tried them.
post by huhujiang on May 15, 2025
franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
Hi, Franz,
Thank you for reaching out. I did some troubleshooting, and it seems that it is my sprinkler’s issue, not the controller’s problem. I switched Zone 2 to a different line and it still has the continuous ON issue. Let me do a little more work and keep you updated. Again, thanks for your response.
14 days later
post by Ethan on May 30, 2025
My hose timer will not shut off either from the app or from the valve. What can I do?
post by Ethan on May 30, 2025
It is brand new and connected to the app
post by Ethan on May 30, 2025
Stearmandriver](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
I have the exact same issue, did you get this resolved? If so what was the solution?
post by Stearmandriver on May 30, 2025
Well, kind of. Rachio seems to agree it’s a failed valve, so they’re sending me a new one. I haven’t received it though, because they say they’re currently out of stock. There was no further troubleshooting involved at all, and so that plus them being out of valves makes me think they’ve got a known bad batch of hardware and are waiting on working replacements.
Just email support; they were easy to work with. But be prepared to wait. No estimation of how long.
post by Ethan on May 30, 2025
Thank you! Very helpful
post by train_wreck on Jun 1, 2025
Just installed 4 of these valves, worked fine for a week of daily ~10 min usage, now 1 of the valves won’t shut off. Pressing the blue button changes the light between red and blue, but i don’t hear any mechanical noises of the valve opening/closing at all. It’s silent. Please advise.
post by franz on Jun 2, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@train_wreck I will have our customer success team reach out to you, thank you for your patience.
post by David2 on Jun 4, 2025
I am having the same issue. I purchased a 3rd hose timer after the first 2 worked as advertised. When I unboxed the 3rd timer I tested it in my hand and could hear it “click” when pressing the button.
Less than 24 hours later and the valve never closes either by pressing the button or through the app. The Blue/Red LED works as if it knows to open/close, but there is no more “click”.
post by franz on Jun 4, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@David2 I am having our customer success team reach out to you. Thank you for your patience!
post by planigan on Jun 4, 2025
Add me to the list. I installed my smart hose timer a few days ago and tested it for correct function both through the app and button.
However, the first scheduled watering was today and it never shut off. Ran for about an hour (instead of 5 minutes) before my wife noticed it had completely flooded all of our planters. Like the previous poster, the blue/red LED does still flash appropriately, and the appropriate status is displayed in the app. However, there is no audible click and the valve no longer closes.
post by JDBarnes on Jun 4, 2025
Bought two hose timers and one won’t shut off. What is the solution?
post by franz on Jun 5, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@planigan @JDBarnes I am having our customer success team reach out directly to you. Thank you for your patience.
post by mdb9170 on Jun 7, 2025
Just bought a pack of 2. First one works great. Went to run the second one manually. Pressed the button to open the valve to test my sprinkler positions. Have not been able to get it closed since. Luckily I was out there watching it so it didn’t flood my backyard.
This failed on the first run. It’s hooked up directly to the spigot on the side of my house and getting debris-less city water, so, I can’t imagine it’s clogged.
The LED flashes blue and red but doesn’t shut off the water. I can communicate with it via the app. I’ve tried all the trouble shooting steps. Replaced batteries, re-paired it.
Seems like there is not an actual resolution to this problem?
post by Stearmandriver on Jun 11, 2025
To follow up, I received the replacement that Rachio sent and it’s been working well for two days… But I guess we’ll see what happens. I bought this because I am frequently not home to water my garden, so it’s concerning that there is such a reliability concern with these devices. The failure mode is the worst possible: the app shows the valve is closed, but it’s not, so flooding could ensue for days with no way to know you need to get someone to shut it off.
Some transparency would be nice on this issue; was this somehow a bad batch of hardware that has been replaced? (My replacement valve is apparently from new stock after they were out of stock for a bit). Was there a design change? Or is there reason to believe this failure is at all likely to occur again?
14 days later
post by rtkane on Jun 25, 2025
I’m also having this issue, unfortunately. Just tried to setup a garden watering cycle and it won’t shut off. Scary that it will fail in the on position.
12 days later
post by JoshNaz on Jul 7, 2025
Just set up a pair of new Rachio smart hose timers, and within a day both have been failing to stop the water flow. The smart hose timer flashes when I hit run and then flashes again when I hit stop and shows a red light, but nothing happens to the flow. Tried resetting and repairing with no change. Anyone know what is going on?
post by rtkane on Jul 8, 2025
rtkane](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
Well, since nobody from Rachio has responded and I was going to be out $100 for something that didn’t even last 2 seasons, I decided to take it apart. Inside, there are 4 screws that hold the solenoid in place. Two of them were completely loose which did not let the solenoid properly close the valve. I took it off, properly reseated everything and tightened it down, so it’s now working again.
I was a couple of week out of warranty. This product should not fail the way it did. It’s probably cost me $50 worth of wasted water. Given the failures on this, Rachio, you should probably recall these or extend the warranty period. I don’t know how screws backout like that–I’m guessing it was not properly put together to begin with.
Very disappointing.
@franz I’m not sure I even trust this thing any more and would appreciate a replacement with a new version vs. my 2 year old version.
post by franz on Jul 8, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@rtkane I will have our support team reach out to and make sure you are satisfied with the product. Thank you for your patience.
post by rtkane on Jul 8, 2025
Thank you.
post by JoshNaz on Jul 8, 2025
franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
@franz would appreciate if someone could reach out to me as well - debating if I should just return to Amazon
post by franz on Jul 8, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
Sure thing @JoshNaz , I just sent them your information.
post by Michaelnwa on Jul 8, 2025
Is there a resolution to this? This is my second season and my hose timer failed also. The valve wont close completely.
post by franz on Jul 9, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@Michaelnwa I am having our support team reach out to you.
post by kssv on Jul 12, 2025
@franz Is there a resolution to this? I just set up 2 more timers and one is not shutting off after its scheduled run- it shows as completed but it continued to run and flooded my bed. I changed the batteries, forgot the valve and set it up again with the same results. It will not shut off either manually or in the app. Thanks.
post by MegatonMike on Jul 13, 2025
I am also experiencing this issue. Purchased a set from Costco and one has failed open. I agree with the others these should fail closed.
post by Gl512 on Jul 19, 2025
Same issue, 2 units and one of them fails to shut off in its 2nd season of usage. Support was completely useless and best they could do is offer me $20 off on a new unit. No replacement, no compensation for lost water. Hard to put trust in a brand when you’re away on vacation and your water has been running for days… I’m so disappointed.
8 days later
post by BalolongMD on Jul 27, 2025
franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
I also have the same problem. I have 4 smart hose timers. However, one of them does not shut off completely. Could you please have your support team reach out too? Thank you.
post by Cnyc31 on Jul 31, 2025
1
I have the same issue. Its brand new less than a week old and it wont shut off.
Edit.
I was able to hold the blue button on the valve for 11 second and did a hard reset. I had to remove the valve and reinstall it as a new unit.
13 days later
post by pgatty on Aug 13, 2025
My replacement hose timer valve has now failed in the exact same way as the first one did. The valve won’t completely shut off at the end of it’s cycle. Is it still possible to get it replaced? Have there been any design changes to fix this problem?
9 days later
post by relarson on Aug 22, 2025
1 of my three hose timers is now failing this way, it seems like the valve sort of closes but not fully
20 days later
post by RaptorKarl on Sep 12, 2025
@franz i am having the same issue for 2 of the 4 brand new smart timers I just purchased
post by franz on Sep 12, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@RaptorKarl I am having the customer success team reach out to you. Thank you for your patience.
post by Rpm3arizona on Sep 12, 2025
Hi, i’m having the same issue with my hose timer. After the time expires, the app shows that there’s no water flow but water is still coming out. I discovered this after leaving the house and coming back five hours later and our front yard had been watered the whole time.
Seems like this is a common issue with a lot of people here. I rebooted and then repaired the device, but nothing fixed it
I’d appreciate any help or transparency on what seems like a reoccurring issue
\ IMG_96251920×2560 318 KB](https://community.rachio.com/uploads/db1097/original/3X/8/e/8e66ac43075682dbbebf0abbeceaf16fbd90ebe2.jpeg "IMG_9625")
post by Rpm3arizona on Sep 19, 2025
post by franz on Sep 19, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@Rpm3arizona I am having our customer success team reach out to you. Thank you for your patience.
post by Tcarlstedt on Sep 19, 2025
Same issue as everyone else. One of my hose timers is still working, the other won’t shut off anymore. Is there a fix?
post by tt22 on Sep 21, 2025
I’m having this same problem. Two new timers, one shuts off, the other hasn’t since I bought it.
post by Tcarlstedt on Sep 26, 2025
Tcarlstedt](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
@franz Any suggestions/help?
post by franz on Sep 30, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
I am having our customer success team reach out to you.
Thank you for your patience.
post by Tcarlstedt on Oct 7, 2025
Thanks. They emailed me asking for info. I sent them the info over a week ago and now crickets.
Thanks.
post by franz on Oct 7, 2025
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@Tcarlstedt I’m reaching out to them now, you should get an update from them today.
Thank you for your patience.
3 months later
post by taylorrush89 on Dec 23, 2025
I too am having this issue with one of my hose timers. Can someone advise what steps I should take to resolve this?
16 days later
post by Tcarlstedt on Jan 8
franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/hose-timer-wont-shut-off/40051/1 "Load parent post")
Hello again! Thanks for your help with my hose timer in October. The new one works great!
However, when I bought that one, I also bought a second - one for the north side, the other for the south side. Now the second stopped working. Battery health is fine, but when I test it, the valve does not open.
Can you help?
post by franz on Jan 9
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@Tcarlstedt Absolutely, I will work with the team today to reach out to you.
Thank you for your patience.
23 days later
post by atripath on Feb 1
I am having the same issue. I bought a two pack of hose timers last year. I haven’t used the other one yet. Will try that one as well to see if it has the same issue.
post by franz on Feb 2
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@atripath I will have our CS team reach out to you directly.
Thank you for your patience.
post by Afser on Feb 3
I am having the same issue hose timer doesn’t shut off and it’s flooding my garden. This was working for me more than six months and having issues from last one month.
1 month later
post by Cuddy-wifter on Mar 8
1
I just purchased the hose timer and it wont turn off. Tried pressing the button until the red light blinks, nothing happened. Fresh batteries. Comnected to hub.
Please help!
post by franz on Mar 9
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@Cuddy-wifter I have reached out to our support team. They should be contacting you shortly.
Thank you for your patience.
post by kevdek on Mar 10
Just got two hose end timers. The solenoid clicks but they don’t seem to shut down all the way. Doesn’t seem to matter if I use the app or the button.
post by franz on Mar 11
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@kevdek I have reached out to our customer success team and they should be in touch with you.
Thank you for your patience.
14 days later
post by Jmhockey1920 on Mar 26
I’m having this problem as well. I bought the valve last year and worked great. Now that spring is here, I ran the sprinkler for 10 minutes last night and it worked just fine. Then this morning I had a timer set for 5:30 AM to turn on and off after 10 minutes. I heard the water still going on around 5:50 AM. Tried to turn the valve off from the phone and pressing the button on the device, nothing happened. The water flows and turns on, it just won’t turn off once it’s finished.
post by franz on Mar 26
franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio
@Jmhockey1920 I will reach out to our customer success team and have them contact you.
Thank you for your patience
18 days later
post by DamRich on Apr 13
I’m having the same problem with 2 of mine. Spent months trying to figure out why my drip system was overflowing all my planters and flooding my pool deck. I have to shut the main faucet off to stop it from watering.
post by Shern on Apr 19
My hose timer won’t shut off. I have tried the reboot and cleaning steps.
post by DamRich on Apr 21
Curious what others have done and switched to as this seems to be a real problem. Ironically I switched from Orbit BHive to this because the software kept disconnecting from the valves and would not water at times. I’ve had the Rachio sprinkler controller from way back and love it so thought I would go with software over hardware… very disappointing not just for spending the money but because I need a new solution now.
3 months later
post by fou 4 days ago
Same issue here. I bought a second Hose timer and the valve doesn’t close. If I push the physical button it turns red, but water continues to flow. I “forgot” the device and re-added it and the problem continues.
Reply
New & Unread Topics
Topic list, column headers with buttons are sortable.
Want to read more? Browse other topics in Troubleshooting or view latest topics.
Invalid date
Invalid date
Loading complete