Gen 3 flow meter underground? - Getting Started / Wireless Flow Meter - Rachio Community

Gen 3 flow meter underground?

post by Watermiser on Mar 24, 2018

I see that the docs say the Gen 3 flow meter is to be mounted above ground. My entire system, including backflow preventer, is below ground. The backflow preventer is in a large covered ground box. Any way to work with this? Otherwise, probably no reason to upgrade.

post by Bill.Maupin on Mar 24, 2018

Simply do a small ground box

post by Sprinklerman on Mar 25, 2018

I’m glad the flow meter was brought up. Thanks @Watermiser. I have some questions too. Retrofits with in ground devices will be a challenge.

Here are my questions:

It’s recommended to install the sensor above ground. Around here they would be underground, and more than likely get covered with dirt.

What if a zone valve fails to open due to a diaphragm issue or cut common wire.

post by Kubisuro on Mar 25, 2018

Mine is entirely below ground too. I’m loathe to do anything below ground. In fact, I rue the day when I have a completely failed and unfixable valve. What a pain to replace – hopefully I can do it without disconnecting anything beyond what I can remove using a screw driver.

post by sbarnhard on Apr 10, 2018

Would it be an idea to move this/and others topics to FLOW category?

post by Watermiser on Apr 10, 2018

Looks like it has been moved.

I wish Rachio support would jump in here to discuss whether the flow meter can be put in a ground box. So far they are silent.

post by kseawright on Jun 20, 2018

The installation video mentions a web page at www.rachio.com/underground for information on underground installation, but that gives a 404 page not found error. When I searched for "underground" there is a page but it says it’s in work. Support needs to please complete the installation information since they are shipping the flow meter.

post by emil on Jun 20, 2018

Yikes! Thanks for pointing this out, we’ll get that fixed ASAP.

We plan to have the underground instructions published by this upcoming weekend.

post by emil on Jun 23, 2018

Drafts of the underground flow meter installation guide are published! Please review and comment with any questions.

post by Wentworth on Jun 25, 2018

The Rachio underground Flow Meter valve video is now working: Rachio Valve Video

post by kseawright on Jun 30, 2018

Still working on my underground install because one of the components required (Orbit #57191 PVC Transition Adapters) is not available at my local Home Depot. I recommend ordering from Amazon once you have confirmed the pipe type and size unless you can confirm your local store has them. I also checked Home Depot online and Lowes online with no success for this item. I have 1 inch PVC pipes in my system.

post by kseawright on Jun 30, 2018

As soon as the last part shows up I will post pictures…

post by kseawright on Jul 3, 2018

Done!

First a picture of the shutoff valve to backflow to main valve progression with the digging at the top, water source from the bottom of the picture:

Next a picture of where I started thinking that the pipes ran in a straight line out of the main valve, not so fast… the main valve in the picture above is to the right of the picture below.

Next I decided to replace the two 90 degree elbows with two 45 degree elbows to gain a potential 10+% improvement in pressure through the system (the engineer in me) and dug a diagonal to make that possible.

Got all my parts to install after waiting for an Amazon delivery…

Now with everything installed but the box to enclose the Rachio Flow Meter.

Let me know if you have questions.

post by kseawright on Jul 3, 2018

Correction: I had “Excellent” signal with the garage door open so there is some attenuation there.

post by kseawright on Jul 3, 2018

Last two photos, the inside of the box and the ground with everything covered up and time to let the grass grow back…All calibrated and ready to roll!!!

@kseawright Amazing details! That alone is worth some swag, will PM ya tonight

Thanks for sharing, this will be helpful for the underground community following in these footsteps.