Flower beds with mixed vegetation type - Schedules & Zones / Create & Edit Schedules - Rachio Community
Flower beds with mixed vegetation type
post by JoWF on Sep 18, 2018
I’m a complete noob so bear with me while I’m trying not to kill my plants. I have a couple of flower beds with mixed plants - roses, lavender, some annuals. They’re on a drip irrigation. What would be my optimal zone setting that would keep my lavender from wilting in Houston heat without overwatering my roses?
post by laura.bauman on Sep 18, 2018
Hey @JoWF,
Great question! We always suggest watering to accommodate the most sensitive plant in the zone. @sunny may have some more insight on lavender and roses specifically, however!
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
@laura.bauman’s suggestion is a good one for many situations, however in this case it wouldn’t be the best choice. Lavender, once established, is very drought tolerant. Water too much and it will die.
Roses love deep infrequent watering. Depending on conditions and age of the rose, twice a week might be appropriate. I have one climbing rose that gets watered every two days. Others are on slightly different schedules.
@JoWF, you might consider putting the lavender in a pot by itself. The roses and annual flowers will probably be fine in the same bed.
post by JoWF on Sep 18, 2018
Perfect, thank you! I should set the zone as shrubs and let the flex daily take over then, correct?
I know that the lavender would probably do best in a container but I’m determined to make it work in in my border 🙂
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
Hope it does work for you. Lavender makes a good fill flower for lots of color. It might work if you make sure the soil has good drainage. Depending on the plant lay-out in the bed, could you eliminate emitters near the lavender?
Neither the lavender nor roses like “wet feet”. I checked the recommendations for the hot, humid climate in Houston and found that rosarians in the area suggest 1" to 2" of water per week. Don’t forget that total would include rain, too.
Signs of over-watering can look the same as under-watering–wilting, leaf yellowing and leaf drop, so keep an eye on the soil moisture level.
Check back and let us know how it worked out.
post by JoWF on Sep 18, 2018
They’re on dripline, so unfortunately I cannot move the emitters. I will monitor the bed with moisture sensor and hope for the best.
Btw, watering recommendations in inches always confuse me, I have issues translating it into how much I should actually water my plants. Maybe that’s why my lavender keeps dying 😉
post by laura.bauman on Sep 18, 2018
Phew! I knew @sunny could come to the rescue 🙂 Thank you for the help, friend!
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
Have you had the opportunity to take a look at the drip calculator @azdavidr put together? Definitely worth a read.
post by JoWF on Sep 18, 2018
Excellent suggestion. I will have a look at it - thank you so much for all your help!
I still have so many questions 🙂
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
LOL. 😅 I have learned all gardening is an experiment. There are no mistakes–just experiments.
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
There are lots of people on this forum who are willing to help!
post by Geho on Sep 18, 2018
Perhaps blocking some emitters with ducktape will work, I did it myself and that helped keeping some area a bit more dry than the rest.
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
“Goof plugs” are only a couple of dollars at the big box store.
post by laura.bauman on Sep 18, 2018
I like that thought process! Unfortunately, my experimenting is seeing how long it takes the Colorado sun to burn the cilantro I keep attempting to grow on my apartment patio 😉
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
You are making salsa often enough!
post by sunny on Sep 18, 2018
A brilliant friend who is an electrical engineer says, “Most any problem can be solved with duct tape and beer cans”.
It’s become a running joke and the standard answer. 😂
post by AmyClarkson on Jan 13, 2021
Indeed, it’s a good question. Most of all I love to take care about roses though every flower is beautiful. It always brings me happiness to see how they grow
post by joan12 on Jan 20, 2021
I love flowers and take care of them. It would always help me improve my mood if I had a bad day. Most of the time on weekends, I dedicate myself to flowers.