Don't Kill the Rachio Web App - Product Suggestions - Rachio Community
Don’t Kill the Rachio Web App
post by tlight on May 25, 2022
I put my two cents in on this subject as part of another thread on another topic, but I wanted to post it here so it can be heard as loud and as clear as possible. In response to a question about a discrepancy between the mobile app and the web app related to the new Dynamic Coefficient functionality @drew_thayer mentioned:
"as a general trend we are not going to support new features in the web app"
This tells me that programming and support resources are no longer being allocated to the web app and that it will therefore eventually become obsolete.
Please don’t let this happen. I utilize the web app just as much and probably a bit more than the mobile app, but I use both extensively. I normally use them for different functions. I do large changes and investigations on the web app since it is easier for these 57 year old eyes to see and big updates are just far easier. I use the mobile app for tweaking settings, checking plumbing especially at the beginning of each season, and quick manual waterings.
Having BOTH apps is one of the big features I harp on when I am selling my friends on why they should get a Rachio controller. I know the world is mobile these days, but desktops still have advantages for serious work that mobile apps will never be well suited for… This is one of those cases. I imagine professional installers, with multiple controllers to keep up with, make heavy use of the desktop app.
So, Rachio: Please continue to develop and support your web app. It is one of the major features that makes Rachio the favorite choice of so many of us clients.
Rachio users and professionals: Make your voice heard here and voice your desire to have Rachio continue to support both of their apps!
Top replies
post by Linn on May 27, 2022
Agree 100%. Please do not get rid of the web app. I find it far more useful than the phone.
post by Crabgrass on May 28, 2022
Since there is no desktop app for macOS, and the iPad app isn’t in the Mac App Store for Apple silicon devices, the web app needs to be supported.
post by twin1 on May 28, 2022
I also agree 100%!
post by gfhunt on May 29, 2022
I agree - when setting up a schedule it is a lot easier to do it on a computer.
post by Guffdude on May 29, 2022
There is no other way to download your zone watering history other than the web app. Please keep it.
post by goog812 on May 31, 2022
100% in agreement. Rachio, please don’t kill the web app!
post by JoeSchmo on May 31, 2022
This sentence from tlight above is the problem with where we are going today, wireless and mobile only.
" I know the world is mobile these days, but desktops still have advantages for serious work that mobile apps will never be well suited for… "
If Rachio thinks we don’t need the web app because it’s not the “future” then respectfully Rachio employees must do the same. I’m sure most if not all have PCs or Macs with multiple screens so they can actually see what they are doing.
post by Thalagyrt on Jun 13, 2022
Echoing this, I almost exclusively use the web app. It’s much easier to manage two controllers this way side by side when dealing with scheduling tweaks.
post by tlight on Jan 3, 2023
I started this thread in May 2022 and have not seen a response, or any additional information, from Rachio. I have seen in at least one other thread problems with the web app that are not being addressed in a timely manner.
It is possible that Rachio is struggling as a company and having to make tough choices with regards to their programming resources. If that is the case, then I would make the following suggestions based on feedback in this thread and others:
- Focus resources on the WEB interface instead of the mobile app.
- Re-orient the PHONE APP to do only those things that it is most used for by users. Quick updates to timing, manually checking zones, turning system on/off, etc. In other words, REDUCE the functionality to reduce programming resource requirements for the mobile app.
- Focus WEB programming resources on a limited, or SINGLE, browser. The big challenge with programming for the web is doing so for all the different browsers and their different versions and extensions. "We recommend and fully support " would be fine with me.
post by franz on Jan 3, 2023
Hey everyone, thanks for the passion!
We do not have any plans to enhance the webapp on our roadmap, but we are also not planning on winding it down. As we release new products (looking at you 2023!) unfortunately it won’t support them, but should continue to work for the irrigation controller for the foreseeable future. There are a couple known issues that we have not fixed (i.e. some newer crop types are not supported) and do not have a timeframe to work on them.
post by residualimages on Jun 27, 2023
Hugely disappointing. Web app and (local) API were differentiators of Rachio products (had 3 homes with the irrigation controllers, and got caught with a bad assumption when I ordered 4 of the hose timers, expecting feature parity within the Web app and API access).
I hadn’t been active on here because things were just working; now I’m passionately advocating for a course correction from Rachio’s team – please heartily reconsider support the Web app and (local) API for multiple homes, and all your devices (including hose timers).