Copper pipe flow meter install - Getting Started / Wireless Flow Meter - Rachio Community

Copper pipe flow meter install

post by scorp508 on Jun 9, 2018

Anyone done an install on copper pipe?

post by brad on Jun 9, 2018

Yep! Here’s my 3/4" copper install:

post by azdavidr on Jun 10, 2018

So a certain amount of 1" copper required on the side connecting to the backflow preventer? I’m getting mine installed into 3/4" copper too.

post by brad on Jun 10, 2018

Yes @azdavidr, you need at least 6" of 1" pipe upstream from the flow meter. It could also be 1" PVC, but I liked the look of all copper.

post by azdavidr on Jun 10, 2018

Great, thanks @brad !

post by Kubisuro on Jun 10, 2018

Definitely helpful to see real-world installations — will help me design a new irrigation tie-in to my house plumbing. The previous home owners really blew it (esp. with respect to no backflow and below grade valves with anti-siphon) on their install. I digress. Neat copper pipe photo.

post by knighti10 on Jun 10, 2018

Here is what mine looks like. I used 1 in PVC to 3/4 in Copper Ball Valves, but would have preferred to use straight 1 in PVC to 3/4 in Copper coupling. All works fine, some calibrations issue at first, but all sorted to now.

post by emil on Jun 10, 2018

@knighti10, just to confirm, do you have 3/4" copper? Have you calibrated your zones already?

post by knighti10 on Jun 10, 2018

Yes, 3/4 copper and calibrated all zones except 1 as it is small and below 0.5GPM…

post by knighti10 on Jun 10, 2018

There is another challenge with the Flow meter, the inlet / outlets are not long enough and now the Sharkbite takes up the whole length of the fitting and you will not be able to get the Sharkbite release tool in there.

post by franz on Jun 10, 2018

Can’t wait to see it!

post by brad on Jun 10, 2018

Hi @knighti10, I do have some concerns about your install. We have seen inconsistent readings with the ball valves on both ends of the flow meter.

post by knighti10 on Jun 10, 2018

Brad, thanks for the reply my serial # F15747195.

post by knighti10 on Jun 10, 2018

Before sending a new meter if required, yes pls review calibration data.

post by brad on Jun 10, 2018

Hi @knighti10, the article does link to the ball valve but it’s only to be used on the downstream end as illustrated in this image at the top:

Thanks for sharing your serial number.

post by knighti10 on Jun 10, 2018

Brad, support did contact me and hopefully I will see them this week as I live just outside Denver luckily… Thanks for great support…

post by azdavidr on Jun 10, 2018

I’m scheduled to have mine installed tomorrow so this is pretty timely. I have several tree and shrub zones that are on drip...

post by azdavidr on Jun 10, 2018

I’m also wondering where you think a good spot is for the unit given these requirements.

post by DLane on Jun 10, 2018

@azdavidr - I’ll take a stab at it, but I’d go with what @Brad or @Emil has to say.

post by emil on Jun 10, 2018

@azdavidr exciting! Please share photos after.

post by azdavidr on Jun 10, 2018

Looks like you have plenty of room to install the flow meter on the lower portion of the house. If needed, you can dig out around the pipe as it goes into the ground.

post by azdavidr on Jun 10, 2018

Thanks @DLane. I like this idea and agree with the cost part being a no-brainer.

post by emil on Jun 11, 2018

I’ll double check the measurements of the transition pipe, flow meter, and fittings tomorrow.

post by brad on Jun 11, 2018

Hi @azdavidr, as @emil mentioned just now the 16" includes the flow meter, fittings, and 6" of 1" pipe.

post by azdavidr on Jun 11, 2018

Thanks for the great explanation @brad.

post by azdavidr on Jun 11, 2018

Sorry, one more question @brad or @emil. The plumber coming by in a few hours mentioned using something other than the SharkBite ball valve that you recommend.

post by emil on Jun 12, 2018

You don’t need the ball valve.

post by azdavidr on Jun 12, 2018

His shop ended up ordering the wrong parts for him, so I’m waiting to hear back from him on a new install date.

post by nmstough on Jun 12, 2018

Why do you need a plumber if you’re using the SharkBite fittings? Those are expensive so that you can DIY.

post by azdavidr on Jun 12, 2018

Would I still be able to rotate the unit and would I be able to replace it on my own later?

post by DLane on Jun 13, 2018

@nmstough

post by azdavidr on Jun 13, 2018

They’re not copper. Thanks for the input @DLane.

post by nmstough on Jun 13, 2018

By the way, why does one need to rotate the unit to change the batteries?

post by knighti10 on Jun 14, 2018

Emil did come out and fix my error. All is working fine now, and will post picture shortly.

post by chris on Jun 14, 2018

That’s one beautiful install @knighti10 and @emil!

post by nmstough on Jun 14, 2018

Why do you need that piece of 1" copper underneath the flow meter?