Connection issues with Gen 3 - Troubleshooting / Wi-Fi - Rachio Community
Connection issues with Gen 3
post by Markneumann on Jun 15, 2019
My rachio 3 will not connect to wifi even though i have full bars of connection from my phone at the unit.
post by franz on Jun 15, 2019
What is the error?
If you run this and provide the code I can have engineering take a look.
Latest firmware on the router?
Are you using iOS or Android?
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
My rachio was showing as connected while i was in bed last night but i did not get up to go check it. Now it is back offline again this morning when i was going to try to finish the setup. I need to get this working before my grass dies. Any help will be appreciated.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
Can you please answer the questions above and use the RouteThis app and provide the generated code so I can have the engineering team review.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
I ran the app and the code it gave me is 54Z97M7D. The rachio did show up on the app late last night as online somehow, but i did not get out of bed to go look at it. When i woke this morning it was offline again. I use an android normally but I have an iphone for a work phone as well.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
I had the team review and it looks like there is a merged network. If there is any way to have a dedicated band network with a different name that might help the controller (guest network). Worth a try if you have that capability.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
So I turned on my guest network and it has poor signal in my garage where the rachio is. Unsure why since I have full bars from the same router on my other networks. Would you say it is time for me to go get a refund and put a normal sprinkler timer on again?
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
I did try the setup and my guest network keeps dropping signal.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
It did go online again for a minute and I got as far as to try to run station 1 and it went offline again before it could start running.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
Had the engineering team review and it does look like the bands are going back and forth. Also noticed a range extender which can be troublesome. Also noticed guest network is 5G. I guess the options are:
- Make sure have latest router firmware.
- Try using a 2.4g guest network. 2.4g is much better for distance.
- Contact our CS team which can help troubleshoot further. They have better networking skills than our engineering team.
- Return the unit if you feel have spent too much time already.
Thanks for your patience and have a great week.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
Once connected does my phone have to be connected to the same network as the rachio in order to control the unit? I cannot remove the range extender since my home security system is connected to it. I will try the 2.4ghz guest network.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
Your phone can be connected to any WiFi/cellular network to issue commands to the controller once connected to the internet.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
Well, it seems to have liked the 2.4ghz guest network. I'm now up and running. Thank you very much for all of your help. Now lets see how all the intelligence works with our Colorado weather.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
OK great to hear. We are based in Colorado, so let us know if you have any questions regarding scheduling or the controller. Have a great week.
post by jacobbk on Jul 3, 2019
I have been having off-and-on connectivity issues with my rachio 3 and google wifi. It connects to my 2.4 band but will only stay connected for about 2/3 weeks before falling offline. Google wifi does not give a way to separate the 4.8 and 2.4 bands. Can you help at all franz? Previously created a ticket and ran the support app. code was 7QFE94GA.
post by franz on Jul 3, 2019
Nothing out of the ordinary other than the merged network. I’ll check with the success team and see if they have any Google Hub tips and tricks.
post by franz on Jul 3, 2019
These are some tips forwarded from our customer success team.
This is what we have documented, doesn’t matter if it’s a Gen 2 or R3 (R3s shouldn’t technically have this issue according to the last discussion that I had with Devin), but it seems to work:
Distance - If the hardware does not support splitting the bands apart, the best solution here is to place the nearest mesh node far enough away from the Rachio so that the 5 GHz connection is too far away to be sustainable. Therefore the node will connect the Rachio to the 2.4 GHz network.
Wi-Fi dampening material - (Yes, I’m serious!) If the Rachio is too close to the router and the user cannot split the bands move either the Rachio or satellite, Wi-Fi dampening material can provide a solution. Using such material as aluminum foil (or other aesthetically pleasing materials) between the Rachio and the nearest satellite can dampen the Wi-Fi signal between the Router and the Rachio thus forcing router to utilize the 2.4GHz connection.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 5, 2019
I’m having the same problem with a Gen 3. Initial install worked well and I mapped the zones. I had to power it off to adjust the outlet and it’s been offline now for several hours. I can’t seem to reconnect it to the new wifi network or any other option.
It's an orbing router set up. And the RouteThis code is DNUSYWUK.
post by franz on Jul 5, 2019
Might mean a range extender or something else. I’d recommend trying a dedicated guest network (not using a range extender) if possible.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
The first long white light just blinks. The app scans the bar code. I go to add it to the Wi-Fi network and it spins for a while before saying the app can’t find it.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
It’s just a solid white light now.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
And now I’m just getting the first light with 4 white blinks and a red blink.
post by franz on Jul 6, 2019
I would reach out to our support team and they should be able to troubleshoot and determine if the unit needs an RMA.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
What is an RMA?
post by franz on Jul 6, 2019
Sorry, a return merchandise authorization. If the unit is defective they will send a new one out asap.
post by think2hard on Jul 17, 2019
I am also unable to connect my Rachio 3 to my Wi-Fi, even after taking all the steps in troubleshooting I could find on the forum. My RouteThis code is: RRFASTCN
post by TBartling on Apr 29, 2020
I’m using Android and an Orbi mesh network. Here’s the code I got QB7UF4T8
1st white light goes solid, second yellow light just blinks and never goes solid… I’ve tried resetting the network several times and did a factory reset on the Rachio 3, nothing works.
post by franz on Apr 30, 2020
Can you try creating a separate network on your main router (not range extender) and connect from there? Also, if you have access to another smartphone, that’s another good place to start.
post by Jester139 on May 1, 2020
Seriously?? I just installed mine and didn’t realize how terrible your software engineering is.
post by franz on May 2, 2020
Sorry to hear you are having so many issues connecting the controller. I always hate to see this, especially with folks in Colorado.
post by Jester139 on May 2, 2020
Yes, after trying 3 different devices. My Android didn’t work. My daughter’s iPhone 11 did not. My son’s iPhone XR did. It seems to be a device qualification issue and you really need to change that.
post by franz on May 2, 2020
Thanks for the feedback and I agree the experience you had is not the one we would like our customers to have.