Connection issues with Gen 3 - Troubleshooting / Wi-Fi - Rachio Community
Connection issues with Gen 3
post by Markneumann on Jun 15, 2019
My rachio 3 will not connect to wifi even though i have full bars of connection from my phone at the unit.
post by franz on Jun 15, 2019
What is the error?
If you run this and provide the code I can have engineering take a look.
Latest firmware on the router?
Are you using iOS or Android?
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
My rachio was showing as connected while i was in bed last night but i did not get up to go check it. Now it is back offline again this morning when i was going to try to finish the setup. I need to get this working before my grass dies. Any help will be appreciated.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
Can you please answer the questions above and use the RouteThis app and provide the generated code so I can have the engineering team review.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
I ran the app and the code it gave me is 54Z97M7D. The rachio did show up on the app late last night as online somehow, but I did not get out of bed to go look at it. When I woke this morning it was offline again. I use an android normally but I have an iPhone for a work phone as well.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
I had the team review, and it looks like there is a merged network. If there is any way to have a dedicated band network with a different name that might help the controller (guest network). Worth a try if you have that capability.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
So I turned on my guest network and it has a poor signal in my garage where the rachio is. Unsure why since I have full bars from the same router on my other networks. Would you say it is time for me to go get a refund and put a normal sprinkler timer on again?
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
I did try the setup and my guest network keeps dropping the signal.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
It did go online again for a minute and I got as far as to try to run station 1 and it went offline again before it could start running.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
Had the engineering team review, and it does look like the bands are going back and forth. Also noticed a range extender which can be troublesome. Also noticed guest network is 5G.
- Make sure you have the latest router firmware.
- Try using a 2.4g guest network. 2.4g is much better for distance.
- Contact our CS team which can help troubleshoot further. They have better networking skills than our engineering team.
- Return the unit if you feel you have spent too much time already.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
Once connected does my phone have to be connected to the same network as the rachio in order to control the unit? I cannot remove the range extender since my home security system is connected to it. I will try the 2.4ghz guest network.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
Your phone can be connected to any WiFi/cellular network to issue commands to the controller once connected to the internet.
post by Markneumann on Jun 16, 2019
Well, it seems to have liked the 2.4ghz guest network. I’m now up and running. Thank you very much for all of your help. Now let's see how all the intelligence works with our Colorado weather.
post by franz on Jun 16, 2019
OK great to hear. We are based in Colorado so let us know if you have any questions regarding scheduling or the controller. Have a great week.
post by jacobbk on Jul 3, 2019
I have been having off and on connectivity issues with my rachio 3 and google wifi. It connects to my 2.4 band but will only stay connected for about 2/3 weeks before falling offline. Google wifi does not give a way to separate the 4.8 and 2.4 bands. Can you help at all Franz? Previously created a ticket and ran the support app. code was 7QFE94GA.
post by franz on Jul 3, 2019
Nothing out of the ordinary other than the merged network. I’ll check with the success team and see if they have any Google Hub tips and tricks.
post by franz on Jul 3, 2019
These are some tips forwarded from our customer success team.
This is what we have documented, doesn’t matter if it’s a Gen 2 or R3 (R3s shouldn’t technically have this issue according to the last discussion that I had with Devin), but it seems to work:
- Distance: If the hardware does not support splitting the bands, place the nearest mesh node far enough from the Rachio so that the 5 GHz connection is too far away to be sustainable.
- Wi-Fi dampening material: If the Rachio is too close to the router and the user cannot split the bands, move either the Rachio or satellite; Wi-Fi dampening material can provide a solution.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 5, 2019
I’m having the same problem with a Gen 3. Initial install worked well, and I mapped the zones. I had to power it off to adjust the outlet, and it’s been offline now for several hours. I can’t seem to reconnect it to the new WiFi network or any other option.
post by franz on Jul 5, 2019
Might mean a range extender or something else. I’d recommend trying a dedicated guest network (not using a range extender) if possible.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
I tried a guest network. It won’t connect to that either. It makes no sense. It was all set up and working until the power was removed for about a minute.
post by franz on Jul 6, 2019
What light does it get to? Might be an RMA that the support team can quickly handle.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
The first long white light just blinks. The app scans the barcode. I go to add it to the Wi-Fi network, and it spins for a while before saying the app can’t find it.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
I’m just getting the first light with 4 white blinks and a red blink.
post by franz on Jul 6, 2019
I would reach out to our support team, and they should be able to troubleshoot and determine if the unit needs an RMA.
post by Sirbarton77 on Jul 6, 2019
What is an RMA?
post by franz on Jul 6, 2019
Sorry, a return merchandise authorization. If the unit is defective, they will send a new one out asap.
post by think2hard on Jul 17, 2019
I am also unable to connect my Rachio 3 to my Wi-Fi, even after taking all the steps in troubleshooting I could find. My RouteThis code is: RRFASTCN.
post by TBartling on Apr 29, 2020
I’m using Android and an Orbi mesh network. Here’s the code I got QB7UF4T8. 1st white light goes solid, second yellow light just blinks and never goes solid… I’ve tried resetting network several times and did a factory reset on the Rachio 3. Nothing works.
post by franz on Apr 30, 2020
Can you try creating a separate network on your main router (not range extender) and connect from there? Also, if you have access to another smartphone, that’s another good place to start.
post by Jester139 on May 1, 2020
Seriously?? I just installed mine and didn’t realize how terrible your software engineering is. How can you roll something out for $200+ that has major issues with Android?
post by franz on May 2, 2020
Sorry to hear you are having so many issues connecting the controller. The majority of our customers do not experience connectivity issues.
post by Patsky on Jun 1, 2020
Totally agree with Jester139 on that; the controller is really bad for Wi-Fi connectivity and I had bad experiences with it. Ending up returning it for a refund.
post by Sandy on Jun 19, 2020
I am also really fed-up with a $200 device bought in 2020 which cannot stay connected to a simple WiFi network.
post by franz on Jun 19, 2020
Not our typical customer experience for sure. I can have our engineering team review your network connectivity if you would like to run this and provide the code generated.
post by Sandy on Jun 21, 2020
I have a google wifi. The RouteThis code is 46F6JNFM.
post by bluebandit on Jul 23, 2020
I have the same issue. I have spent 4 hours trying to troubleshoot this using the community and FAQs from the Rachio website. I am returning mine.
post by Stewart on Jul 24, 2020
If you used a different moniker, please post a link to your other thread and we’ll try to help.
post by bluebandit on Jul 27, 2020
The company I purchased the Rachio 3 from sent me a replacement. It took me less than 15 minutes after plugging it in to get it set up. So it was a bad unit.
post by Motlem on Mar 20, 2021
I would think after this much time this issue would have been fixed. I just got my unit hooked up and I’m getting the same issue; unable to connect to the Wi-Fi.
post by Stewart on Mar 20, 2021
First, confirm that you can get the controller into ‘awaiting Wi-Fi’ state (2nd quadrant blinking).
Then, turn off mobile data on the phone. Open your Wi-Fi settings and you should see a Rachio-xxxxxx network. Connect to that network. If a message pops up warning you of no connectivity, choose the option to remain connected. Now, reconnect to your Google Wi-Fi, run the app, and try to connect the controller.