Compatibility with Wired Networks - Archive - Rachio Community
Compatibility with Wired Networks
Most everybody installing the Rachio Iro is going to have a WiFi network available, but what about the following scenario?:
- The project requires an Outdoor-Mount Controller installation;
- (No offense) The plastic enclosure you currently offer:
- Doesn’t lock
- Is plastic
- The project requires a Stainless Steel or Metal Cabinet enclosure.
We frequently use VIT Products for this.
I’m guessing the Faraday Cage effect would apply here. In these instances, the ability to install a Wi-Fi receiver through a knockout on the side of the enclosure, or simply plug an Ethernet cable into the Iro board itself would be ideal.
I haven’t taken one apart yet, but does anyone know what type of WiFi module/antenna the Iro uses? Does the board have room for an RJ45 jack as-is?
post by franz on Mar 2, 2015
We do not support Ethernet, sorry
The WiFi module we currently use is from the Electric Imp based on a Broadcom chipset.
This article explains the amount of work they have built into WiFi range, connectivity, etc.
Going to Great Lengths with the Imp and WiFi
Let us know if you have any more questions or feedback. Thanks!
post by regenesis on Mar 2, 2015
Got it. We’ll take a look at the Electric Imp, and try it out inside a metal enclosure.
Thanks!
post by Adrenalinejeeper on Apr 29, 2025
It would be nice to have a network port. My Rachio 3 is constantly disconnecting and does not automatically reconnect. It gets stuck with the second set of lights flashing and I have to go manually power cycle it about every 3-4 days. I have strong signal with a full Ubiquiti internet system.
If this keeps it up, Rachio will be a short-lived product for me. I’ll go to something more stable with a wired connection.