Calibration fails to Complete - Connection Error - Accessories & Sensors / Wireless Flow - Rachio Community
Calibration fails to Complete - Connection Error
post by TurfMan on Jun 21, 2021
Using IOS App 4.4.5, 4.4.6, and 4.4.7 (brand new) all result in failure to finish the Calibration and failure to update/load/show the new cal data on the App. I get the error “Oops we couldn’t connect to your flow meter”. This is not true as the Cal data is populating in the graph throughout the calibration - it just has a problem at the end (for me at least). I have tried multiple ways to initiate the Cal, and have a excellent connection strength (RSSI) to both my Flow Meter and my Controller. I have been working with your team (very helpful) for weeks and originally identified/helped the team troubleshoot the graphing error I found in version 4.4.5. The team then fixed the 4.4.5 graphing error in the n4.4.6 release (thanks) as it populates data correctly now, however, the Cal still fails at completion for 4.4.7. The only workaround for me has been to “Use Current Value”, which I’m told bypasses the Controller Cal data upload and instead uses the current graph data shown on the phone app to re-upload the Server.
I would really appreciate if the community would be willing to run some Cals using their own iPhone (4.4.7) or Mac (web) apps and see if the Cal completes successfully for you (without error screen) and updates the zone data with the new Cal GPM data. The team tells me I am unique and I must have a configuration problem with my network. This is odd for me because the cal used to complete (last year) and my network config has not change. Thanks all.
post by milehiguy on Jun 22, 2021
@laura.bauman I’m running v. 4.4.7 on my iPad and I’ll recalibrate one of my zones in the backyard within the next 20 minutes or so (20:00 MDT).
Edit: just finished calibration one of my larger rotor zones in the backyard. Though I had to wait 10-20 seconds before “Finished” appeared, it DID complete the calibration successfully and showed me the computed GPM value (12.4m third screenshot below), but during the 5-minute calibration, as with version 4.4.5, the numeric readout never changed (remained at 0.0 throughout) and the vertical blue lines on the white wave animation never appeared. I reported this as a problem two versions ago (4.4.5) and it was fixed within a day or two in a subsequent release (4.4.6).
post by zachio on Jun 22, 2021
Hey guys! Happy to work some of this out with you guys as I may be able to provide some deeper insight. In v4.4.5 (maybe earlier) the app had an issue distinguishing new events we received from the server (the calibration readings). So we may have shown the first calibration reading but then none after that (or may not have shown the first reading).
That was fixed and I checked on v4.4.7 and the fix is still there. I think what you may have seen milehiguy was a case where the app’s event connection broke and didn’t reconnect to give you updated events. I reinstalled the current app from the App Store and recalibrated one of my zones and was able to see those new readings every 15 seconds or so.
The case that you’re seeing TurfMan is interesting though. Your events come in and are reported, so the connection is fine during the calibration. I believe you’re correct in that something towards the end of the calibration is going awry.
post by milehiguy on Jun 23, 2021
Thanks @zachio I appreciate it! I’ll read your post again tomorrow when have fresh brain cells, but in the meantime …with version 4.4.8, that I just installed from the App Store, the GPM numerical value countdown and blue lines have returned, as you can see in the following two screenshots. Calibration completed just fine.
post by TurfMan on Jun 23, 2021
Hey Milehiguy, thanks for the Cal check (appreciated). It was very interesting that on your very 1st try you got a problem with the graphing on the Cal (with iPad 4.4.7). To clarify, you ran both tests on an iPad with the 1st test using iPad 4.4.7 and the 2nd test using iPad 4.4.8 right?
For me, I have used iPhone 4.4.7, Web App, and new iPad 4.4.8 and in ALL cases I always get the response “Oops cannot connect to the Flow Meter” even though my graph is populating. I worked with Tech Support under 4.4.5 and was told my hardware was okay, but since all updates and troubleshooting I still get the same response.
post by zachio on Jun 24, 2021
The “Oops” message may be kind of misleading as the application will show that when the calibration result comes back as “CalibrationCommunicationError”. It’s not actually a communication error between server and app, but showing the result the server processed from the controller.
post by TurfMan on Jun 25, 2021
zachio & milehiguy - GOOD NEWS: Today I physically removed all the existing (old) Rachio HW (both Controller and FM) and unboxed and replaced them with brand new controller and new FM. Cal completed! Now I had to figure out which HW item is failed? So I put in the old FM (only) back in the system but still using the new controller. Cal completed! (Points to the old controller right). So…put the old controller back in with the old FM (like I always had) - and Cal Completed! (WHAT??).
Here’s the only solutions I can offer:
- In the troubleshooting, I was forced to REMOVE the FM (in the APP) from old controller and then added it back.
- The existing FM was physically moved around.
So…5 Cals in and all working and populating the zones with new data!