Apple HomeKit for iOS - Smart Home & API / Smart Home - Rachio Community

Home | Support | Status Page

Skip to main content

Apple HomeKit for iOS

Smart Home & API Smart Home

You have selected 0 posts.

select all

cancel selecting

Jun 2014

2 / 181

Jun 2014

Sep 2018

post by alexrodriguez on Jun 2, 2014

alexrodriguez

1

Jun 2014

Please start working on integration with HomeKit for iOS!

44.8k views 161 likes 18 links 100 users

11](https://community.rachio.com/u/franz "franz")

10](https://community.rachio.com/u/plainsane "plainsane")

6](https://community.rachio.com/u/aristobrat "aristobrat")

6](https://community.rachio.com/u/sbarnhard "sbarnhard")

5](https://community.rachio.com/u/Daragh "Daragh")

read 19 min

Top replies

post by rgreenpc on Jun 2, 2014

rgreenpc

Jun 2014

+1

post by Wildcatz_1 on Jun 10, 2014

Wildcatz_1

Jun 2014

+1

post by brm51 on Jun 15, 2014

brm51

Jun 2014

Apple is adding an API for schedules. It would be nice if iOS8 would red-Flag watering days that occur on activities inour schedules, ie Holidays, (4th of July anyone), or other scheduled events. We’ve all all had that watering day mishap occur at the occaissional event, and the timer gets gets overlooed in all of the other planning going on. Just saying.

16 days later

post by bobcats9498 on Jul 1, 2014

bobcats9498

Jul 2014

Plus 1! Would love to be able to tell Siri “water Zone 1 for 15 minutes” and have it done.

post by coreymcl on Jul 4, 2014

coreymcl

Jul 2014

I’ll add my vote for Homekit integration, just think about the doors this will open and possibilities for exposure you could get.

post by lwcomdeco on Jul 11, 2014

lwcomdeco

Jul 2014

Another vote for Homekit!

21 days later

post by Bschwart on Aug 1, 2014

Bschwart

Aug 2014

+1 for this. Big time!

post by mwhaley99 on Aug 1, 2014

mwhaley99

Aug 2014

+1

post by franz on Aug 1, 2014

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Aug 2014

@alexrodriguez‌ @brm51‌ @Bschwart‌ @lwcomdeco @coreymcl‌ @bobcats9498‌ @Wildcatz_1 @rgreenpc Integrations are another high priority item on our list. Our APIs have been built to make all of these possible.

post by Wildcatz_1 on Aug 1, 2014

Wildcatz_1

Aug 2014

Franz, thats what we were all hoping for and looks like (if Homekit is one of them) that you’ve put another solid check in the IRO box ! Thanks

post by rgreenpc on Aug 6, 2014

rgreenpc

Aug 2014

Is your API going to be public?

post by franz on Aug 6, 2014

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Aug 2014

@rgreenpc‌ Our current plan involves integrating with all of the popular platforms and connected initiatives. At that point we will look at exposing a set of public APIs. Thanks for your questions and feedback!

8 months later

post by alexmack on Apr 11, 2015

alexmack

Apr 2015

From what I have read through the dev page on homekit, the device requires specific hardware requirements to support HomeKit.

Are you able to disclose if The Rachio iro contains the needed components; or are you only saying the future support of homekit (with possible future product updates) will support it? @franz

post by franz on Apr 12, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Apr 2015

@alexmack You are correct. HomeKit will require specific hardware components that are not in our current hardware. When HomeKit was first announced last year we weren’t sure as to how the integration would take place. But, we have learned what you have learned and it will indeed require an update to our hardware. We don’t yet have plans to explore this with the current hardware.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks and have a great day!

post by alexmack on Apr 12, 2015

alexmack

Apr 2015

I really appreciate your honest answer. That clarifies things quite a bit.

+1 for future Homekit hardware support.

post by thepro8 on Apr 20, 2015

thepro8

Apr 2015

Hi Franz,

If you want an inexpensive wifi/MCU/mfi solution with home kit software I can help you. We have created an inexpensive Qualcomm qca4002 + Freescale k22 + mfi + home kit software solution. I work for arrow elections in Denver, but on here as a consumer. I can meet this week if you like.

Steve

post by franz on Apr 20, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Apr 2015

@thepro8 Thanks for the heads up, I’ll PM you for more information.

1 month later

post by InmatesRunThePlace on Jun 3, 2015

InmatesRunThePlace

Jun 2015

With all the Homekit announcements lately is there anything that Rachio would like to share? I’m going to preorder a new Ecobee almost immedately. Rachio? Huh? huh?

post by franz on Jun 4, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Jun 2015

Hi @InmatesRunThePlace. We still don’t yet have plans to update our current hardware to support HomeKit. We’ll look to see how things shake out with the launch and prioritize any upgrade from there. I hope this helps.

post by Rancunier on Jun 7, 2015

Rancunier

Jun 2015

It’s disappointing to still hear so late in the game that you don’t have plans to update the current hardware for HomeKit. I just bought a new (to me) home with an 11 zone system driven by a 15 year old controller. High on my priority list is to replace this controller with a modern controller. Homekit support is a must have feature for any new home automation devices I buy, so who ever supports this first gets my money.

post by franz on Jun 7, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Jun 2015

Noted

post by jdowson on Jun 11, 2015

jdowson

Jun 2015

+1

post by surfpup on Jun 12, 2015

surfpup

Jun 2015

You could just create a HomeKit Compatible Bridge that would interact with Rachio Iro. That would make HomeKit accessible to your current owners. For your later, newer hardware, you could build the compatibility into the hardware.

post by franz on Jun 12, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Jun 2015

Will that work over WiFi?

Still mass confusion!

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/future-proofing-smart-home-apple-homekit-compatibility/

post by surfpup on Jun 12, 2015

surfpup

Jun 2015

I am unsure – my understanding is that the bridge must be able to communicate directly with HomeKit, but it can use wifi to communicate with the devices behind it. The bridge was designed to allow for greater integration. Hence a wifi product (Iro) can be controlled by HomeKit through the bridge.

I would need to do further research, but that is my current understanding.

post by plainsane on Jun 12, 2015

plainsaneRachio Power User

Jun 2015

zway already provides a homekit controller and it is fairly straight forward to write your own js plugins. one day when im too lazy to use the app ill write a plugin, but today is not that day.

post by rohithashok on Jun 12, 2015

rohithashok

Jun 2015

Chiming in for home kit support too +!

post by briansusername on Jun 12, 2015

briansusername

plainsane](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2015

Yes, but that is a bridge between HomeKit and z-wave. Rumor has it that, for now, Wi-Fi devices like the Iro cannot be bridged to HomeKit. They must use a HomeKit-approved Wi-Fi chip for security purposes.

That could change in the future, but nobody really knows.

post by Fitnessmentor on Jun 12, 2015

Fitnessmentor

Jun 2015

+1

I was about to pull the trigger and buy it after having read so many positive reviews on Amazon. But not having Homekit support/integration is a deal killer for me. I’ll either wait till you all manufacture such a product or look elsewhere. I hope you all do it first because I love what I saw, including the made in the USA part.

post by ghctim on Jun 15, 2015

ghctim

Jun 2015

What do people hope to get out of home kit support beside the apple logo?

post by Jer on Jun 15, 2015

Jer

Jun 2015

@franz - that article you referenced is a bit old. Need to look for anything after last week’s Apple WWDC conference to get the latest info on HomeKit. They didn’t say much about it (unfortunately) but I assume this chipset would be needed to build a bridge to the IRO:

post by Jer on Jun 15, 2015

Jer

Jun 2015

There’s this too…

“…Apple HomeKit certification requires a co-processor to handle device authentication. That co-processor is where the device’s encryption key is stored and handles the computing associated with encryption. It’s a nice concept, but the change in hardware adds time to the manufacturing process.”

and…

“I’ve reached out to many of Apple’s partners to understand how they will handle the issues that come with HomeKit compliance, but few agreed to speak on the record. Behind the scenes, grumbling about HomeKit has become a common occurrence as delays in finalizing the specification have led to uncertainty and delayed products. In public, most companies are toeing Apple’s line.”

post by Jer on Jun 15, 2015

Jer

Jun 2015

and one last one if you want the latest dev info overview of HomeKit:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=210

post by franz on Jun 15, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Jun 2015

Thanks for that, very interesting read

1 month later

post by Berknip on Jul 21, 2015

Berknip

Jul 2015

+1 on agreeing that the first company to support homekit will get my $.

post by JNotar on Jul 24, 2015

JNotar

Jul 2015

Are we Apple Homekit ready?

They just pulled al their thermostats from retailers getting ready to make their big push.

post by ghctim on Jul 25, 2015

ghctim

Jul 2015

No and the current hardware never will be.

28 days later

post by MrMangus on Aug 22, 2015

MrMangus

Aug 2015

+1

post by ETIrrigation on Aug 23, 2015

ETIrrigation

1

Aug 2015

With all the new possibilities for home automation arriving on a almost daily basis these days, I still believe the core value of Rachio is flexibility. The ability to potentially mold to future product, from whomever creates them, is a nice asset.

That said, one needs to remember that the Iro in itself is Irrigation Automation. Automation that is very complex just as weather is. The push or need to link to any type of home automation systems that are mostly switches (on/off, open/close) is less important to making sure the Core Responsibility of Iro, apply water efficiently to a landscape, to be job one priority one. If I can access my Iro from anywhere in the world already, why is it so important to be apart of another system?

If the Rachio Iro can not irrigate my landscape without constant intervention, what’s the point of the controller?

25 days later

post by Daragh on Sep 18, 2015

Daragh

Sep 2015

The Rachio looks great, it meets all my needs with one big exception, it doesn’t have native HomeKit Integration. iOS 9 improved the HomeKit echo system and I think Apple will continue to do so.

I’ll keep an eye on Rachio but without native HomeKit hardware and software support it’s a no go for me. Hopefully you guys will updated the hardware and software to fully support HomeKit in the near future.

Great product overall and your customer satisfaction proves you guys are doing a great job.

Watching and waiting for full HomeKit support.

post by ghctim on Sep 19, 2015

ghctim

Sep 2015

Are there other options w HomeKit?

post by shapps47 on Sep 19, 2015

shapps47

Sep 2015

What advantage would HomeKit support provide? If HomeKit is so great, why has it been over a year since Apple announced HomeKit and yet there are pretty much zero HomeKit products out there (besides one smart lightbulb I think…)

post by Daragh on Sep 22, 2015

Daragh

Sep 2015

For me its the enhance security. I had a zwave network that was hacked that allowed an intruder access my property. I will no longer use any protocol thats not secure that will have a significant vendor behind it to backup and provide timely support for issue.

I fully appreciate not everybody is a fan of HomeKit and thats absolutely fine but for me its currently the best protocol I am aware of that meets my particular needs.

Most vendors believe it or not are having issues with the security requirement implementation.

19 days later

post by fronkmonkey on Oct 11, 2015

fronkmonkey

Oct 2015

Hi I agree ETIrrigation that the core job of the Iro is applying water efficiently. But… As an iPhone user HomeKit is a must. I am going to hold off till spring to see if Rachio updates their hardware to allow for HomeKit connectivity if not then I will look for a controller that has HomeKit available. It is refreshing to see the co-founder is honest about where they are at. Give them some time and hopefully next spring I will install my HomeKit equipped Rachio Iro.

post by thepro8 on Oct 13, 2015

thepro8

Oct 2015

In summary, it’s still very early in the adoption curve for home kit and it hasn’t been easy or straightforward for companies like Rachio. They shouldn’t be criticized at this point for not having this technology.

Just for clarification on Home kit, you need a few items to make home kit work for wifi solutions. Wifi, MCU, and MFI.

MFI or Made For iPod is an authentication chip. Basically is a secure eeprom that is multi sourced from a couple manufacturers and can only be purchased through Arrow Electronics or Avnet. Companies need a MFI license to purchase.

Home Kit software code to run on your MCU.

Wifi: Any will work, Low power low band width work best for applications like this like a 1x1 bgn or AC is supposed to become the future standard. Most wifi solutions have a built in mcu to handle the tcp/ip stack and if there is enough memory you can run the home kit software directly on the wifi mcu. If not, you have to run the home kit software on a secondary mcu like your application processor.

There have been a few solutions that have been announced for home kit support, Qualcomm, Broadcomm, TI, and Marvell, but the devil is in the details of each of these solutions. Some have been recalled due to design changes, some have been delayed, etc. I expect the scenario will change dramatically for the better over the next 6 months.

post by franz on Oct 13, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Oct 2015

Thanks for this rundown, this is very spot-on and informative.

Will surely help people understand all of the barriers to HomeKit.

post by thepro8 on Oct 13, 2015

thepro8

Oct 2015

You’re welcome. Work on it daily so i pick up a little on the way

2 months later

post by SAR on Dec 2, 2015

SAR

Dec 2015

I am trying to understand how I can use Rachio iro with various DIY controllers: HomeKit; VeraEdge; SmartThings. It appears none of these are currently integrated with Rachio iro. I also understand I could use a direct WiFi connection; but it is not clear to me if I will be able to remote access the Rachio iro through my phone.

As an additional note, Apple HomeKit claims the Rachio iron is integrated with HomeKit. Here’s the link http://www.apple.com/us/shop/accessories/all-accessories/home-automation?page=2.

Could you confirm that only WiFi is available amongst my preferred choices. Thx

post by franz on Dec 2, 2015

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Dec 2015

We currently do not support these. I hope to support SmartThings for next watering season since it is just a cloud-to-cloud integration. HomeKit is hardware based so it will take delivering another generation of our product to support that.

We do support quite a few integrations already:

http://rachio.com/integrations

I don’t believe there is anything there stating we are integrated with HomeKit.

Hope this helps!

post by emil on Dec 3, 2015

emil

Dec 2015

We did some digging and figured out why our products are appearing to be Homekit compatible. It appears the redirect at the bottom of the HomeKit page takes you to Apple’s Home Automation product page, which the Iro is listed on.

\ Screenshot 2015-12-03 13.11.37.png1041×302 53.3 KB](https://community.rachio.com/uploads/db1097/original/1X/976073bd9d67d8c0f2015961e815d269d1b7d6a0.png "Screenshot 2015-12-03 13.11.37.png")

However, once you’re on the Home Automation product page, you’ll need to enable the filter on the left column for “HomeKit Compatible” to only list HomeKit enabled products.

\ Screenshot 2015-12-02 17.36.04.png219×603 29 KB](https://community.rachio.com/uploads/db1097/original/1X/daaa071b8f36f64a97889c8f6fce61715debd6dc.png "Screenshot 2015-12-02 17.36.04.png")

Once this filter is enabled, the Iro is not listed.

Remember is to look for this label on HomeKit enabled products.

2 months later

post by Daragh on Jan 23, 2016

Daragh

Jan 2016

Any update on when Rachio will become HomeKit compatible?

post by franz on Jan 23, 2016

franz Co-Founder/CTO @ Rachio

Jan 2016

We do not currently support HomeKit but hope to in the future, but at this time can not provide dates.

Hope this helps.

2 months later

post by Daragh on Mar 21, 2016

Daragh

Mar 2016

Does this mean Gen 2 will or a future generation 3 or later will, getting tired of waiting for an honest answer!

post by JeremyInMT on Mar 21, 2016

JeremyInMT

Mar 2016

They either are not sure or aren’t allowed to say!

post by plainsane on Mar 21, 2016

plainsaneRachio Power User

Daragh](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Mar 2016

i dont think franz was giving you a dishonest answer. does homekit even support irrigation controllers? is that something they have thought of yet (apple)? i dont see any provisions for irrigation in the off the shelf homekit bridge that is floating around the opensource community. but i suspect it is not up to rachio at this point as franz would have provided something more concrete. he is pretty good at handling that type of information.

post by jdcoffman on Mar 22, 2016

jdcoffman

Mar 2016

Yeah, it seems prudent for Rachio to not necessarily make the investment yet to support Homekit. While it looks good on a feature/integrations list, the actual utility of it is likely not very high at this point as most HomeKit device profiles are pretty anemic (so I hear from people in other forums who seem to know what they’re talking about)… so at this point it’s probably more of a marketing feature vs a must-have for the majority of customers.

post by plainsane on Mar 22, 2016

plainsaneRachio Power User

Mar 2016

i agree, the only thing keeping homekit alive in my head is openhab’s attempt to hook up to it.

2 months later

post by mkresic on May 31, 2016

mkresic

May 2016

Adding my vote for HomeKit integration. I just set mine up today and am impressed with the Amazon Echo and IFTTT integration. But HomeKit would be great, too. Keep up the great work here!

13 days later

post by jeremyshultz on Jun 14, 2016

jeremyshultz

Jun 2016

It’d be cool to have a single app for everything considering the new Home app in iOS 10 that will be coming out. As long as Rachio could do everything it can do in the stand alone app.

10 days later

post by kohlab on Jun 24, 2016

kohlab

Jun 2016

Yes, please, to HomeKit integration.

26 days later

post by Mechanic55 on Jul 21, 2016

Mechanic55

Jul 2016

I concur HomeKit Please!!! I have 2 2nd Gen systems and would like homekit to be added

post by Mechanic55 on Jul 21, 2016

Mechanic55

1

Jul 2016

For all those who say homekit has no support they don’t know what there talking about there literally dozens of devices available now. It is not a marketing tool. It is also being integrated into iOS10 with the new Home App.

post by Mechanic55 on Jul 21, 2016

Mechanic55

Jul 2016

As for what Franz is saying it is not being dishonest to say currently they don’t support homekit, because it is the truth, they don’t. But he also said that they want to in the future. Homekit is not as easy as other home integration systems out there because is requires secure hardware connections which not of the other services do, I have had several zwave and wink compatible items get hacked because of this, so I will wait for homekit integration done right. Franz can’t tell you something that is not there yet or even if they are currently working on it because of corporate security. Most companies don’t offer info like that until they have a working model in hand and even then very rarely, until it is ready to ship.

post by plainsane on Jul 21, 2016

plainsaneRachio Power User

Mechanic55](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jul 2016

Maybe you misread, HomeKit does not currently support the idea of irrigation. It’s supposed to be coming and unless it has been added recently rachio can begin until it exists.

I know someone that has an nda with apple on HomeKit and he/she says it is not feasible yet, but that could have changed in the last 3 months

post by Daragh on Jul 21, 2016

Daragh

Jul 2016

ehhh if he/she has an NDA they just violated it!!!

post by plainsane on Jul 21, 2016

plainsaneRachio Power User

Jul 2016

That’s what friends are for. Plus, Apple knows this happens. They just want legal recourse when someone builds an open source bridge. https://github.com/htreu/OpenHAB-HomeKit-Bridge

post by Mechanic55 on Jul 24, 2016

Mechanic55

Jul 2016

No misreading, I understand the irrigation model has not been added, but there are those here that I have read that think home kit is a fad or just a marketing gimmick it is not. A secure hardware environment takes time to implement unlike most of the other home automation schemes on the market that are basically software driven.

19 days later

post by Dangerfish on Aug 13, 2016

Dangerfish

Aug 2016

Would really like to see HomeKit compatibility here. I’m slowly adding smart devices to my house but I won’t add anything that doesnt have HomeKit compatibility as our entire electronic eco system is Apple.

post by JoeyPeligroso on Aug 13, 2016

JoeyPeligroso

Aug 2016

Agree with HomeKit, would really love to see this integration! Love the Rachio Gen2 and think HomeKit would make for a very solid user base for Rachio as a company. Understand from reading through this post that there are a number of challenges, however…

post by plainsane on Aug 20, 2016

plainsaneRachio Power User

Dangerfish](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Aug 2016

You need to take it up with Apple, not rachio…

post by Dangerfish on Aug 21, 2016

Dangerfish

Aug 2016

Umm, No. That is not correct. There are hardware requirements that need to be implemented in order for a product to be homekit compatible. So it is up to Rachio to implement that, not Apple.

post by plainsane on Aug 21, 2016

plainsaneRachio Power User

1

Aug 2016

well aware of the hardware requirement but HomeKit needs irrigation support first, you can’t get certified if they don’t support it, dig through api and you will see what I’m talking about.

Plus if you have gen 2, iOS and some curiosity you will see that the hardware is there, how do you think it latches onto the wifi without entering a password?

I don’t k ow for certain the hardware is compatible but I do know that apple will not allow rachio software to access the wifi password, nor will the kernel transmit it to a remote server without a certain level of integration with wac which from my understanding Shares a lot of commonality with HomeKit encryption

post by George45 on Aug 21, 2016

George45

Aug 2016

These guys claim that the Gen2 hardware is HomeKit compatible:

post by llbts1 on Aug 21, 2016

llbts1

Aug 2016

Very interesting read George. Thanks for posting that.

1 month later

post by toddjensen on Sep 26, 2016

toddjensen

Sep 2016

I’m hoping to begin a topic and discussion around homekit integration. I’m interested in your roadmap regarding decisions to support or not support any specific technology (especially when it specifically correlates to your product space). It seems Homekit integration has been of interest to the community as far back as 2014. Thanks, I look forward to the discussion.

post by George45 on Sep 26, 2016

George45

llbts1](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Sep 2016

Unfortunately, on September 13th, they removed the references to Apple HomeKit. Strange…

post by Eamborn on Oct 2, 2016

Eamborn

Oct 2016

Please add my vote for the addition of at least being able to control the app through Siri.

post by xSpecBx on Oct 3, 2016

xSpecBx

Oct 2016

Are people’s concerns based on security or convenience? I’m not an IT expert so I can’t comment from that side, but from a convenience stand point, I don’t think another app is going to kill anyone (half of you probably have 5 different versions of angry birds loaded on your phones right now - I’d be more worried about that). In addition to that, once you get it dialed in you shouldn’t be playing around in the app much. I log in to goof around and check the forums more than I do to make adjustments. Set it to flex and go about your life.

post by TigerC10 on Oct 6, 2016

TigerC10

Oct 2016

+1

post by ainslieg on Oct 12, 2016

ainslieg

Oct 2016

+1

post by SteveG on Oct 17, 2016

SteveG

Oct 2016

Another +1 for HomeKit.

post by tkwny on Oct 24, 2016

tkwny

Oct 2016

Count me in this group too. I’m looking to purchase a Rachio but won’t be doing so until they support Homekit. Especailly in light of the recent DDoS attacks.

post by aristobrat on Oct 24, 2016

aristobrat

Oct 2016

I don’t see where HomeKit itself supports irrigation products?! This picture is from Apple’s 2016 WWDC.

9 days later

post by dugbug on Nov 3, 2016

dugbug

Nov 2016

I’m waiting for HomeKit. You guys avoided adding the security in the first place and look at all the hacks / bots popping up in similar unprotected internet devices

3 months later

post by jgamache on Jan 31, 2017

jgamache

Jan 2017

+1 for me…I am not a Amazon Echo owner and don’t plan to be.

post by dfooter on Feb 4, 2017

dfooter

Feb 2017

I would love to purchase Rachio, I have a large yard and need two 16 port controllers. As soon as HomeKit support is announced for a definitive product, I will purchase, even if HomeKit support is not fully functional. Trying to build a future-proof system that primarily uses HomeKit, so no longer purchasing anything that does not.

2 months later

post by pknoot on Mar 29, 2017

pknoot

Mar 2017

Another owner waiting for HomeKit support! Amazon and Google are not on my list.

post by fpuig on Mar 29, 2017

fpuig

Mar 2017

+1

post by micahsa on Apr 3, 2017

micahsa

Apr 2017

+1, waiting for purchase until HomeKit support

2 months later

post by rachioray1230 on May 30, 2017

rachioray1230

May 2017

+1

post by scorp508 on May 30, 2017

scorp508

May 2017

-1

I’d rather see some real home automation integration by adding a Z-Wave Plus radio.

post by mckynzee on May 30, 2017

mckynzee

May 2017

@scorp508 First -1 I’ve received on the community

post by scorp508 on May 30, 2017

scorp508

May 2017

Yeahhh… I suspect there will be more. I’ve been known to not agree with the masses on things.

We have iOS devices in our home… but Homekit I just find to be like playing with Playskool toys.

post by Jernesti on May 31, 2017

Jernesti

May 2017

+1

post by slant on Jun 3, 2017

slant

Jun 2017

Huge +1

I’ve been excitedly waiting for this service to adopt HomeKit since the early days of Rachio! I’m sad to see that HomeKit is still not supported. The very day it is supported, I will pick this up!

post by Rancunier on Jun 5, 2017

Rancunier

Jun 2017

WWDC 2017 HomeKit slide shows SPRINKLERS

post by DLane on Jun 5, 2017

DLaneRachio Power User

Jun 2017

I was wondering how long it would take someone that was stalking WWDC 2017 to post about HomeKit.

@franz I guess Rachio is now on the clock, no longer can the response be HomeKit doesn’t support it.

Before the Apple fan club in the community start hounding @franz or @emil or @mckynzee about when Rachio integration with Homekit will be available, please remember that sprinkler support in HomeKit just got announced and Rachio will probably need some time to figure out the integration, etc. And we’ll probably need to wait for iOS 11 to support this version of HomeKit. Plus, Rachio is still knee (waist, neck?) deep in V3 development. I personally am looking forward to the improved scheduling around allowed watering times rather than HomeKit support. Just my $0.02.

post by Navy4596 on Jun 5, 2017

Navy4596

Jun 2017

For me, HomeKit is priority. And then comes everything else

post by Robamus on Jun 5, 2017

Robamus

Jun 2017

Apple Slide at 71:03 into the keynote clearly shows Rachio, not just SPRINKLERS. Its not going to be an update to existing hardware…

post by Chan2160 on Jun 5, 2017

Chan2160

Jun 2017

Ya I second that, the problem before was there was no support from homekit now apple has added support. so please update the app accordingly.

post by Chan2160 on Jun 5, 2017

Chan2160

DLane](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

ya no dont really care, priority should be homekit. its a million dollar feature.

post by alexrodriguez on Jun 5, 2017

alexrodriguez

particleman](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

It’s not an Apple provided chip.

post by alexrodriguez on Jun 5, 2017

alexrodriguez

Jun 2017

As the one who started this thread originally I am really looking forward to some kind of official update from Rachio based on today’s news.

post by aristobrat on Jun 5, 2017

aristobrat

Jun 2017

Voice control of the Iro is a feature that I see myself using a few times a year. Mostly when I’m working on a zone and need to turn it on/off and my hands are dirty or wet. Or maybe some cute situation like the Amazon Alexa where the dad turns on the sprinkler to soak the butthead boyfriend that made his daughter cry.

IMO, the whole purpose of the Iro is to water the lawn automatically for me.

If I ever have to start interacting with it so frequently that having voice control becomes a “million dollar feature”, then it isn’t fulfilling its purpose very well.

post by Linn on Jun 5, 2017

LinnRachio Power User

Jun 2017

I agree 100%!!! This is FAR more important than voice control!

post by Chan2160 on Jun 6, 2017

Chan2160

aristobrat](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

I understand but with homekit and with the new Siri enabled speaker you can do both. so ya Homekit #1 plus there are a lot of automation setting in the app itself.

post by Rancunier on Jun 6, 2017

Rancunier

aristobrat](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

HomeKit support is not about voice control, it’s about security and ensuring that those devices connected to our wired/wireless network and thus potentially (or intentionally) accessible over the public internet can be properly secured to prevent unauthorized access.

post by aristobrat on Jun 6, 2017

aristobrat

1

Jun 2017

IMO, HomeKit support will add an additional method for remotely managing the Iro (that may or may not be more secure than the non-HomeKit method that the Iro has been using over the last four-plus years to communicate over the public Internet). I personally have no security concerns with how the Iro currently communicates over the public Internet.

But … HomeKit doesn’t support Android. Nor does HomeKit support web browsers running on computers.

Unless you’re proposing that Rachio drop support for non-HomeKit devices (by only allowing HomeKit access), the Iro is going to have to keep the original non-HomeKit connectivity method that it’s always had.

Adding HomeKit support to the Iro will be great (not sure it’s a million-dollar feature), but AFAIK it shouldn’t have any effect on the other methods the Iro retains in order to be compatible with non-Apple devices.

post by mckynzee on Jun 6, 2017

mckynzee

Jun 2017

…

post by Modawg2k on Jun 6, 2017

Modawg2k

Jun 2017

is that the official Rachio statement?

post by donsullivan on Jun 7, 2017

donsullivan

aristobrat](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

I just hope they don’t take the ‘easy’ way out so many others are taking and create yet another bridge device to provide the support. I’m not interested in yet another gateway from homekit to (insert random IOT device here). One of my key reasons for choosing HomeKit compatible devices is the security aspects of the platform but too many are taking the easy way out which does not provide the level of security HomeKit intended.

Since it’s out in public in the Apple keynote, I do believe it’s time to expect some actual content from Rachio on their plans. They didn’t get on that slide by mistake

post by aristobrat on Jun 7, 2017

aristobrat

Jun 2017

I got an email from Rachio yesterday about ‘Introducing new Google Assistant and SmartThings integrations’… thought the timing was kind of ironic. lol

post by miked1987 on Jun 7, 2017

miked1987

franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

Will there be HomeKit support in existing Rachio hardware?

Thanks!

post by plainsane on Jun 7, 2017

plainsaneRachio Power User

scorp508](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

Now that’s what I’m talking about, a real automation guy. The time spent on HomeKit could be spent getting me more granular data from my flow sensor via the API.

But seriously, most diy zwave solutions allow you to substitute the module with rest code. I had one basically working for openhab but I put it down for more turf management studies.

post by briansusername on Jun 8, 2017

briansusername

franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

I don’t suppose you could tell us if Gen 1 hardware will be supported in HomeKit? The latest HomeKit WWDC session includes talk about software authentication being added, so at least some of the hardware limitations are being lifted.

post by kohlab on Jun 14, 2017

kohlab

Jun 2017

Some promising information in this article for making Rachio compatible with HomeKit. In iOS 11 and macOS 11 a special security chip will no longer be required for HomeKit integration and sprinklers are supported.

post by cbauer10 on Jun 14, 2017

cbauer10

Jun 2017

One Rachio poster said they needed Siri integration for HomeKit integration. That was announced last week, so you can start developing for it now.

I work for Schlage and have work on the Sense lock. I am telling you that Rachio could implement HomeKit if they make it a priority now. Nothing is holding them back. Let’s make this happen!!!

post by Oneppo on Jun 15, 2017

Oneppo

Jun 2017

+1 million

post by crazydiamond on Jun 15, 2017

crazydiamond

Jun 2017

I too am looking for a Apple HomeKit enabled controller. I guess I will keep looking.

post by kgelner on Jun 20, 2017

kgelner

Modawg2k](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jun 2017

Yes, it’s hilarious how many people took the trouble to explain how they really wanted to buy a Rachio system but did not when they realized it did not support HomeKit… why would they post again anyway, until units came out that supported HomeKit? Many of them might return, and start posting, when Rachio supports HomeKit - in fact I would hope the company would email each of those accounts (including mine) if they ever do announce support.

I really like how Rachio works, I have a friend who has the system and really likes it. But at this point I’m not buying new smart systems from the home unless they support HomeKit, and I thought it was important to let the company know another person is not going to buy a unit until they know it will be supported (even if the hardware shipped earlier without support initially but it could be added later via update, I’d be in).

I didn’t see a lot of people respond much to why they wanted HomeKit integration, so I thought I’d expand on my reasons - basically what I want out of the system is the possibility of control and examination of data from other apps. Like what if I wanted to wire in moisture sensors to some parts of the lawn and trigger extra watering if they didn’t get enough from the normal watering stations? Or I might have a console alerting me to any problems across the whole house, in which a Rachio alarm might be one of many items…

The Rachio app is really nice, and I’m sure I’d use it. But like I said I want the possibility to use that data across other apps as well, or to be able to control the system in other ways or for other reasons.

Also as someone else noted, smart device security is growing more and more important and while it may seem strange to think about security from something like a sprinkler system, if an attacker got in they could potentially use the sprinkler controller as a bridge to break into other computers in the house, or also launch DOS attacks on websites from as part of a botnet (as they have done with many, many internet connected webcams). Being part of HomeKit means more than just the “Apple Logo” which was referred to at some point, it means a certification of a certain level of security.

post by mckynzee on Jun 21, 2017

mckynzee

Jun 2017

Hey @kgelner,

Thank you for giving more context to the value of the HomeKit integration. It is important to know about people who are not purchasing Rachio because of this missing feature. Again, we cannot give any more details about possible integration with Apple HomeKit, but I can assure you we are listening to your feedback and making decisions accordingly!

McKynzee

19 days later

post by mStudios on Jul 10, 2017

mStudios

Jul 2017

McKynzee,

Unfortunately your answer is one of the most ‘canned’ answers to see from support from any company (we can not give details but are listening…). Over the course of 20 years I have learned that this exact answer usually means - it will not happen, we need to keep (potential) customers happy though - holding a carrot in front of them. Looking through this forum and several threads, you see that the demand for HomeKit integration is big and not just a fad and there is a real demand for it, and this not only since the 2nd generation. And yes, I am one of those who specifically had to create an account here to say this, even though next to this I have nothing to say in this community as I do not own the product. And yes, also for me a non-integration is a deal breaker. Just think of all the business lost from all the people who do not go through the effort to create an account and to leave their voice behind.

post by Jazzer on Jul 17, 2017

Jazzer

mckynzee](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jul 2017

Count me as another potential waiting on HomeKit integration. I would buy today as long as I knew HomeKit capability would be possible via a firmware upgrade to the currently shipping HW. I just don’t want to buy hardware and then have to repeat that purchase. Until I know for sure, I have to sit and wait. Ring has given that guidance on their products and I bought my Ring Pro this week knowing HomeKit is coming. I wish Rachio could do something similar. Looks like a fantastic product and I am excited to integrate it into my smart home!

Thanks

post by plainsane on Jul 18, 2017

plainsaneRachio Power User

mStudios](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jul 2017

You do understand that HomeKit doesn’t support irrigation as a concept right? So it is not up to rachio, right? You do understand that rachio is under nda regarding anything concerning home kit that has not been released right? The canned response is because of the legal system.

Go look at the developer docs for HomeKit, it will explain everything I have stated here in this post.

post by abqmichaelj on Jul 20, 2017

abqmichaelj

Jul 2017

This is an interesting discussion and I learned a little about HomeKit from reading it. One thing I’m not clear on is, as the developers say, how would you use it with Rachio.

I have an Apple TV and Hue lights in my home so I connected it to HomeKit. It’s nice that I can now use Siri to turn on my lights and the HomeKit app to do it, but this is pretty thin functionality. Maybe some day it’ll be cool.

In contrast, I’m not seeing it as adding much actual functionality for Rachio in the near future. It just doesn’t look like HomeKit has any features that apply to watering. Longer future, sure. It’s possible. Developers should add the hardware in future gens. Today? I don’t know.

Beyond functionality, one thing some users looked to HomeKit for is improved security. Improving security is a great thing. Especially for home automation. But, from what I can see, the security is only for the IP connection between the HomeKit devices and the device controllers and not from the device controllers to the devices or from the device controllers to their own cloud infrastructure. Security isn’t like peanut butter. Spreading a little security on a new connection doesn’t add security to the connections you already have. It just makes the new integrations (e.g., with HomeKit) secure. So unless I’m missing something, not having the HomeKit connection provides at least as much security to your Rachio system as adding a secure HomeKit connection would do.

post by cencio1976 on Jul 20, 2017

cencio1976

plainsane](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jul 2017

HomeKit will support irrigation systems with iOS 11

1 month later

post by maniacalyeti on Aug 31, 2017

maniacalyeti

Aug 2017

+1 I have wanted one of these for a while. I am moving to a new house soon and would love to install one. However I won’t get it until I hear HomeKit support is coming and with iOS 11 around the corner removing hardware requirements for HomeKit support, I hope that is soon.

3 months later

post by bcassidy on Dec 1, 2017

bcassidy

Dec 2017

+10

post by DLane on Dec 1, 2017

DLaneRachio Power User

Dec 2017

Not being an apologist for Apple or Rachio, but I just opened the Home app on my iPhone 7 running iOS 11.1.2 and when selecting the Learn About Home Accessories link, as of now, there is not a category for faucets or sprinklers - both of which were announced at WWDC back this summer. So until a sprinkler category shows up in the Home app or on Apple’s HomeKit page …

post by IoTEric on Dec 1, 2017

IoTEric

Dec 2017

That’s correct. Until HomeKit releases their Irrigation profile and settings for Irrigation systems, we can’t comment on any sort of integration.

post by bcassidy on Dec 4, 2017

bcassidy

Dec 2017

+10

post by Jazzer on Dec 5, 2017

Jazzer

Dec 2017

WatchOS 4.2 was just released. Release notes include this little snippet:

watchOS 4.2 update also adds support for HomeKit sprinklers and faucets

Interesting that’s there but no mention in iOS 11.2

post by cencio1976 on Dec 6, 2017

cencio1976

1

Dec 2017

I bet the irrigation profile will be enabled with the release of the Apple Homepod early in 2018, which will include AirPlay 2 among the new features. At that time expect a round of firmware/software updates for every iOs device.

post by aristobrat on Dec 7, 2017

aristobrat

Jazzer](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Dec 2017

Wonder if it not being enabled on 11.2 (released Saturday) had to do with this? Apparently the temp fix was done on Apple’s servers, with another iOS release coming soon to truly fix it.

Zero-day iOS HomeKit vulnerability allowed remote access to smart accessories including locks, fix rolling out

So far for “security issues that could allow unauthorized remote access”, it looks like it’s HomeKit: 1 and Rachio: 0.

1 month later

post by saundersev on Jan 9, 2018

saundersev

franz](https://community.rachio.com/t/apple-homekit-for-ios/33 "Load parent post")

Jan 2018

Is there a 2018 Update to the HomeKit compatibility future??

post by plainsane on Jan 9, 2018

plainsaneRachio Power User

Jan 2018

Look very closely, very very closely…

I would love to beta test this for them.

post by Philmographer on Jan 11, 2018

Philmographer

Jan 2018

Same!

20 days later

post by jgamache on Jan 31, 2018

jgamache

Jan 2018

+1 won’t buy until HomeKit arrives. My water utility is giving a rebate for smart controllers so my credit card is poised to purchase when it arrives.

post by tawoody on Jan 31, 2018

tawoody

Jan 2018

I was hoping for HomeKit integration but after using Rachio without it for the past year I have no problem the way it is using the app or webpage. I barely even use them now unless I need to manually water something here and there. I’d recommend getting Rachio now and start using it because it’s amazing and you still get the rebate.

Load more posts below

Invalid date

Invalid date

Loading complete