Apple HomeKit for iOS - Smart Home & API / Smart Home - Rachio Community

apple-homekit-for-ios

You have selected 0 posts.

44.8k views
161 likes
18 links
100 users

read 19 min

post by markus7017 on Mar 11, 2018

markus7017

fyi: I’m working on an openHAB2 binding for the Rachio controllers (I fact it’s already in beta state).

openHAB Version 22 is a powerful open source home automation system supporting a wide variety of devices and provides powerful automation options. Using HABpanel you could easily run it on any type of device using the browser.

The binding integrates Generation 2 controllers using the Rachio Cloud API. All controllers / zones will be auto-detected once connected to the cloud service (in theory an unlimited number of controllers and zones as well as multiple accounts). You get status information and could start/stop zones. Based on OH rules you could create your own schedule logic. It also integrates the event API, so you get notifications when watering starts, info on run-times etc. Gen 1 might also work, but I have no device to verify (depends on API support).

Let me know if you are interested to give it a try. I will become available on the Eclipse IoT market soon. Check the openHAB community for more details.

Cheers, Markus

post by alexmack on Mar 20, 2018

alexmack

Congratulations on the release of the Rachio 3.

I noticed every major home automation platform was mentioned except for HomeKit. I know 11.3 brings software support for HomeKit accessories – I’m assuming the Rachio 3 is aligned with the any specs required for this, question is: will it come with our beloved HomeKit code.

post by Atrexler on Jun 12, 2018

Atrexler

Hi, Agree with many of the posters here. I will not buy another Rachio product until there is HomeKit integration and an Apple Watch app. Rachio appears to be going the way of Nest is not fully supporting Apple products.

post by fpuig on Jun 12, 2018

fpuig

When they can, they will do it. They have been very customer oriented so I don’t see why we will not see ours Super Rachio controlled by Siri 🙂 Hope that this happen soon… Can’t wait.

post by Bgman on Jun 12, 2018

Bgman

I agree with you that they will more than likely support it. My criticism is their lack of communication about their intentions. If they are in fact waiting for HomeKit to support the function then come out and say it. Also let us know which of the products will be HomeKit compatible. Communication is the key.

post by Anthony on Jun 12, 2018

Anthony

We just need to be patient guys. HomeKit is on the way; we want to get a product that just works flawlessly with no hiccups. Rachio doesn’t use their customers as a lab like other companies do. There are companies out there that shipped a product that is not ready, and then their customers get mad and angry, for example, the Samsung Note which had battery problems and ended up recalling the product completely off the market.

post by fpuig on Jun 12, 2018

fpuig

@Bgman - I understand the “lack of communication” but I believe they should be working on it since this is basically a must for Apple ecosystem users and I’m sure they want to have them happy 🙂 We’ll see what happens…🤞

post by sbarnhard on Jun 13, 2018

sbarnhard

apple commercial reasons are perhaps the main reason:

https://community.rachio.com/t/what-new-features-are-upcoming-for-spring/7017/16?u=sbarnhard

post by azdavidr on Jun 13, 2018

azdavidr
Rachio Power User

Full disclosure: I’m not an Apple guy. However, I have a ton of home automation in my home and have the Rachio connected to Alexa, IFTTT & my alarm.com controller. I use IFTTT to skip watering my lawn on days that my landscaper comes out. I rarely run anything manually. The exception is if I’m servicing my irrigation system, in which case I’m not next to my Alexa anyway, and running it from my phone is just as easy as from a smartwatch. Given that Rachio is a small company with limited resources and lots of great things to do, I’d rather have them working on cool new stuff that I would use more often.

post by Porkbuns on Jun 18, 2018

Porkbuns

I have not seen any communication from Rachio on this (for years). Please don’t make the same mistake as other smart device makers by staying silent and not telling your user base and potential customers whether or not you are working on HomeKit integration. I can give you a long list of companies that have fumbled the ball by not letting their users know their development plans regarding HomeKit.

post by Bgman on Jun 23, 2018

Bgman

I’m confused. I thought the reason for not announcing HomeKit support is the lack of irrigation function in HomeKit. However, I just saw a video review of the Elgato Eve Aqua and it shows the irrigation function in action and working with that product. Can someone explain why we still haven’t heard anything from Rachio? @franz ... Bueller ... Bueller ...

post by sbarnhard on Jun 23, 2018

sbarnhard

Orbit released too early too, but agreed I find Apple communication around IoT terrible, whatever the reason, leaving customers clueless.

post by chrisandeden on Jun 24, 2018

chrisandeden

But if you look at Apple’s HomeKit Accessory page, sprinklers are still not listed as an official category. I agree that it’s confusing, considering they mentioned sprinkler support at WWDC 2017.

post by Bgman on Jun 24, 2018

Bgman

It may not be listed but it obviously is working as shown in the video.

post by chrisandeden on Jun 25, 2018

chrisandeden

Which means what? Apple enabled it for Elgato only? It’s only available in a developer beta? It’s still not publicly available, so why is everyone pressing the matter? Why not just wait until there’s an official announcement?

post by Bgman on Jun 25, 2018

Bgman

I would assume from the video as well as the release of the product that it is publicly available and not a developer beta. I have no issue waiting. My only complaint is the radio silence from Rachio as to its intention to implement HomeKit when the profile is available and what products it intends to support. Communication is key.

post by chrisandeden on Jun 26, 2018

chrisandeden

I don’t believe the product has been released. The videos showing the Aqua are review units, it’s showing as not available on Amazon, and it was showing as shipping soon from their own website. Maybe the product is on hold because they released units into the world without Apple’s permission.

post by sbarnhard on Jun 27, 2018

sbarnhard

I agree with Bgman. Although Rachio is not at fault for the misty politics of Apple (Rachio has been ready for it quite some time), it does help to know if any development is going on or if Rachio is waiting for Apple.

post by JGreg on Jun 27, 2018

JGreg

It’s been released…they’ve announced it’s shipping. Furthermore, today, El Gato announced they are going all in and focusing only on HomeKit accessories.

post by sbarnhard on Jun 27, 2018

sbarnhard

@JGreg that's quite an update.

post by JGreg on Jul 4, 2018

JGreg

You seem pretty clueless as to how HomeKit handles functions like keeping your door locks and alarms armed.

post by sbarnhard on Jul 10, 2018

sbarnhard

@franz

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/homekit/water_valves
The code is out? Also: Preview version new user system, Rachio cloud push and Lovelace goes wild: https://twitter.com/bmarks_dhgrafx/status/1015517400555454464?s=21

post by aristobrat on Jul 13, 2018

aristobrat

Actually, it seems like a lot of folks in this thread (which goes back to 2015) do, based on the number of “potential customers” that took the time to create a forum account here just to make their one post that basically says “I won’t buy a Rachio until it has Siri because I’m specifically interested in how HomeKit securely communicates between the devices”.

post by Bgman on Aug 3, 2018

Bgman

Another month has passed and still not a peep as to what, if anything, is happening. @franz @mckynzee … anyone … anyone???

post by ChrisTheMeat on Aug 9, 2018

ChrisTheMeat

The eve device is now available to purchase from Apple ...

post by sbarnhard on Aug 9, 2018

sbarnhard

apple hasn’t bought this company? (looking for answers 🧐)

post by Johnbmtl on Aug 18, 2018

Johnbmtl

Hopefully, that hardware requirement can be handled by purchasing a bridge rather than Rachio 3 owners needing to upgrade their controller.

post by jmooney on Aug 18, 2018

jmooney

Also shopping for an irrigation controller that works with HomeKit. I would buy this today if it was…

post by alexrodriguez on Sep 19, 2018

alexrodriguez

As the troublemaker that started this post back in June of 2014, I am still holding out hope that we will one day see HomeKit support in Rachio. Frankly, at this point I would just be fine with “we have no plans of ever supporting HomeKit” instead of the “we have nothing to announce routine”.

post by 06ajtayl on Sep 20, 2018

06ajtayl

Sprinkler profile is out in public release. With iOS 12. No excuse now. Should have had beta test done and ready to roll out with iOS 12 release. Let’s see what they say now.

post by DLane on Sep 20, 2018

DLane
Rachio Power User
@06ajtayl - the sprinkler profile is just like the group Facetime chat. Apple announced it as a feature of iOS 12, but as of iOS 12.0 it isn’t in the released product.

post by 06ajtayl on Sep 21, 2018

06ajtayl

well if true it’s Apple’s fault (not unusual). Sprinklers not listed prior to iOS 12. Now listed.

post by DLane on Sep 21, 2018

DLane
Rachio Power User

@06ajtayl - Yep. Those graphics were posted in this community 5 days ago.

post by nkaw on Sep 25, 2018

nkaw

Gen 3 now offers HomeKit. What about all of the Gen 2 users? What gives.

post by laura.bauman on Sep 25, 2018

laura.bauman

Hey @nkaw! Great question. Read below for more on Generation 2:

post by Toe7685 on Sep 25, 2018

Toe7685

This is nothing but a legal bait and switch scene from Rachio. They saw Chamberlain doing it with the garage door but at least Chamberlain gave their new hub away for free. I’m disgusted by Rachio's business practices and I will never buy another one of your products again. Shame on you all.

post by laura.bauman on Sep 25, 2018

laura.bauman

We promise that we had nothing but good intentions with the HomeKit integration. We tried incredibly hard to make it work on the Generation 2 controllers, but ultimately it just wasn’t possible. However, I plan to share your feedback with our team for further discussion. I apologize for the disappointment.