API call to local sprinkler IP? - Smart Home & API / API - Rachio Community

API call to local sprinkler IP?

post by rjsears on May 17, 2016

I am building a little home automation system which includes controlling various water fill projects. Part of this process uses the API call to determine if the sprinklers are running and to not fill/refill things while the sprinklers are running.

I am concerned about my scripts inability to make the API call (my internet down, or Rachio servers down).

Is there anyway to make the API request directly to my sprinkler IP?

I can see the sprinkler is responding on port 80 and was hoping I could get the information without having to break out wireshark.

Thanks


post by franz on May 17, 2016

@rjsears This is not currently possible. Gen 2 does have the capability to run a webserver, at some point I would like to expose those capabilities.


post by rjsears on May 17, 2016

Thanks Franz -

I assume that you guys are talking to it and getting that information, and I see it is running a webserver actively so I would be interested in accessing it locally for its status in case my internet goes down!

Thanks


post by indigo_jay on Apr 19, 2017

+1 - a local API would make smart home solutions more robust since it would take the internet/cloud out of the equation.


post by sbarnhard on Apr 13, 2018

Does Gen 3 allow this?


post by franz on Apr 13, 2018

We have a feature called direct access which is used for setting schedules before the controller is connected to the internet (i.e. new home builds). Once the controller is connected this feature is longer available.


post by ftballguy45 on Apr 20, 2018

+1 for local device control. Going to the cloud when unnecessary is a fail. Let us use the API interfaced directly to the controller on our own networks…PLEASE!


post by ftballguy45 on Jul 16, 2018

Any traction here on opening up the local API?


post by LostBard on Jul 6, 2019

Yes +1! Cloud should ALWAYS be ancillary to the core functionality.


post by Jamr on Jun 22, 2022

I am very surprised Rachio does not do this. I will return mine and look for another product.


post by Stochastic on Jun 29, 2022

We need local control because of situations like this:

Right now neither the iOS nor web app works. Looks like our drip-line schedule didn’t run, and it was a hot dry day, so we’ve lost some perennials. I can’t edit or run schedules, but I can run individual zones manually in the iOS app, so that’s what I’m doing.

A local API or control would permit troubleshooting/running schedules while Rachio troubleshoots their servers.


post by ESF on Feb 2, 2023

Looking for a way to locally connect to my Rachio 3 I came to this - almost 7 year old - topic. I’m trying to connect my Domoticz system (on a Raspberry pi) to my irrigation system.

@franz is there any positive update about this?


post by ESF on Jun 11, 2023

@franz why don’t you answer our questions to Rachio? I can’t believe all development stand still for 7 years!? Please help us controlling the sprinkler system locally


post by franz on Jun 12, 2023

There are no plans at the moment to support this with our current generation of hardware.

If you want to control through our API please visit https://rachio.readme.io