All sprinklers work - the second time they’re started - Troubleshooting / Sprinklers & Irrigation - Rachio Community

All sprinklers work - the second time they’re started

post by Benr75 on Aug 4, 2022

  1. Start zone manually - 3 of 6 sprinklers start - no leakage or water pressure issues visible.
  2. Start zone manually again - all 6 sprinklers start and work normally.

Really stumped on this one. Tried re-seating the wire - no change in behavior.

Any advice or tips appreciated. Apologies if this has been covered and I’m just not putting in the right search terms.

A work around would be to figure out how in the schedule to have them start for a minute, stop, then start again.

post by Thomas_Lerman on Aug 4, 2022

Are you saying that 1/2 of the sprinklers of the same zone did not work the first time, but did on the second? If so, what I have seen could be leakage, water pressure, or blockage say from a filter. Some sprinklers have filters built in and some also have a “self-cleaning” thing built in. I have to sometimes help my sprinklers a bit.

post by Benr75 on Aug 4, 2022

Yes, there are 6 in the zone, 3 start the first time. Sounds like Rachio system is doing its job and I need to physically get in there in more detail. Thx for the tip and I’ll reply back once I solve the problem.

post by Thomas_Lerman on Aug 4, 2022

Please do report back I agree that it sounds like Rachio is doing its job, causing the valve to open.

post by Benr75 on Sep 23, 2022

Found the valve and determined the pipe was pinched by some roots.

BUT to really close this out I made the decision to completely replace my sprinkler system from the rachio out. It was installed several decades ago, needed yearly adjustments, was a total mess of sprinkler head types, and the zones were less than ideal. It was quite an investment to do it, but well worth it. If you decide to do this here are some things I learned:

Next year I plan to adjust my landscaping to require less watering.

post by Thomas_Lerman on Sep 24, 2022

Sounds great. I found making a make of where everything is very helpful too. This includes wiring, valve & boxes, heads, all wiring, and zones. I personally used Google Earth to do that.